The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34~35~36..41..45..49..53..57~58~59 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
If that's a link for Canadian Wolf Half Dollars -Silver 1967- I already use them for the aforementioned "Thieves Pitchin' Sheep" and they work very nice there.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yep, it was.

-Mary
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Something else I'm working on is eliminating use of my tv tray table, using my wooden case instead. Initially I bought the case (a silverware container) with that in mind, but got away from the idea for some reason. I practiced with it on my lap this afternoon and it actually felt more comfortable than using the table, so that's encouraging. I like to pack light, so eliminating the table will be a step further forward in containment and portability. Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Hi guys! I'm still here. Bit behind on my practice, but ivebeen working on a chop cup routine (based on Jim Swain's WGM routine) for our club's annual competition. I'm comfortable with the mechanics of the routine and now working on the patter. Have 11 more days to practice! Ugh!

Hudson
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
We're pulling for you Hudson!

-Mary Mowder
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Indeed. Best wishes. Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Good luck, Hudson, and the more you practice, the gooder your luck will be, methinks...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Thanks guys. I need all the "luck" I can get!

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

You will do great, Hudson...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
55Hudson,

I've got some good advice.

Look at the audience and smile. Don't make the top of your head the star of the show. Actually plan your "looks around the room". Use your gaze to direct their attention and don't look at anything you don't want them to see.

Imagine people loving your act as you practice. Imagine you are Mr. Entertainment on a really good night. Take a deep breath and anchor in this wonderful feeling. Take a deep relaxing breath and remember that feeling as you are being introduced.

If you have a sticky spot a laugh will help cover it. If you aren't a writer a quote might help. Google quotes and subject. "They say" is all the annotation you need in this context but more is OK.

Don't apologize for anything or be self deprecating unless that is really your character.

Treat your volunteers like welcome guests.

If they like you, they will like your Magic.

Even in a competition I like to see my competitors do well (it's just more fun and relaxing that way) so go in knowing that EVERYONE wants you to do succeed.

It isn't about winning, it's about entertaining and improving.

-Mary Mowder
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Good reactions at the Farmers Market yesterday to the new material and I performed without the table, just had to carry the chair and my bag, so that's makes a wonderful difference. More streamlined portability, for sure. Looking forward to next weekend- Grand Opening for the Farmers Market, so should be a fair crowd and lots of fun. Looking into busking in town, too. There's a great prime location just put in a patio and benches. Would be a very opportune spot to perform.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm happy to hear when less (carrying) is more.

It is always great when new material is well received.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Go get 'em, Laurie! The more I busk, the more I understand how good it can be. I just need to carry less...

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thankyou very much! Smile
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Mary - thanks for the words of wisdom. Will keep them in mid as I practice and, hopefully, will be natural when I perform!

Laurie - glad to hear the fair went well.

Hudson.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Been crazy busy with work but we're heading into a lull as staffing season for television is basically finished and we can all breathe a sigh of relief. In the mean time I'm working the castle on June 25th, doing a "half Christmas" event. I need to break out some holiday-themed winter material. By break out, I mean come up with. Any ideas?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Stand-Up?

-Mary
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hey, Andrew!

Let me give this some thought...

The first thing that comes to mind is Blizzard, I think by Dean Dill.

Are D'Lites possible? You could do a christmas lights thingy... I do them with Napkin Rose, which is not strictly magic, but is very magical and a crowd pleaser. I use the DLite with my thumb in the rose to light it up, and people really like it.

Chop cup with white "snow" balls??

I will keep thinkin'

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
All adults or Saturday family crowd?

Red and Green paper coils.

There is a Christmas version of Deja Zoo called Presents of Mind. I skip the really Christian symbols for secular shows. There are still plenty of choices.

Music choices and Silk color choices. Add some plastic Holly to your table dressing (traditional Low Solstice decoration)

Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot is Red and White (a great item any time).

Mental epic with favorite Carol, favorite present or keeper of Holiday spirt in your family as the non-card choices. Mention Christmas Cards in association with the final Card choice.

Production Items and colors like ornaments or Christmas candies or Chocolate coins (representing Hanukkah gelt).

What did one Snowman say to the other Snowman?... Do you smell carrots?

Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Smile