The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..16..26..36..46..56..57~58~59 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Great, Todd!

I just found a wonderfully inspiring video...sheep
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Todd-

Good on ya', man! I am not familiar with Martin's version- I use John Luka's Michigan Monte, which I think is similar. Martin has good ideas- I use Cardiograph and it plays very well.

I have gotten in the habit of having 4 cards in my wallet at all times. Many has been the occasion when I got them out and had time for some good practice. I love non-gaff packet tricks, and there are a ton of them to practice.

Magicalaurie- Funny vid! One of the true pleasures of living in the country is watching the animals cavort. I have a dog who has a very confused idea of what herding should be, and gets it bass akwards most of time time, much to my grief...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Magicalaurie,
I loved the video and so did Tom.

Todd,
I know what you mean about Sidewalk Shuffle. I never got comfortable with it, maybe its the jumbo cards. Good Luck though it's a great effect.

mandarin,
One advantage in being a woman is you can carry a whole Deck of cards and a Contact Juggling Ball in your purse.

My practice is uneven this week. I'm practicing a lot but my improvement is up and down. I will persevere.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Mary-

Don't laugh!- but I FINALLY decided to start carrying a "purse"! It is a MAN purse, but I had to do something to keep my sanity...

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 3:56pm
If anybody is still around, here is practice inspiration... courtesy of Mb217...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6RpMDtUZKM&feature=fvw

Enjoy- then practice!!

Have a nice Holiday!!

Regards,

Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Still here.

Enjoyed the video and also ! in pasteboard frolics. A sore shoulder is slowing down my practice and most of the practice is needed on that side. I'm switching sides and practicing it the other way for a while.

Man purse, right... LOL

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Wait just a New York minute- Mary- you are laughing at a "man purse"? Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Considering my daily purse is a fanny sack carried like a purse I'm hardly in a position to laugh at your "man purse" but um... Yes.

Honestly, if I were a man I'd be sporting the man purse or a sporran if I had the legs for the outfit. You gotta do what you gotta do.

-Mary Mowder
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
new sheep

I've got some new sheep- the others are too big for me to get comfortable with right now. Should be able to put them to work in a different effect down the line. These new ones are nickel- size, so I won't have a size obstacle to overcome with them. The coins are actually silvertone, I didn't have great lighting to work with when I shot these photos last night...

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada. Smile

Laurie
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Nice coins, Laurie!

Had a laugh at your "Happy Thanksgiving From Canada" and how self-absorbed we Yanks can be. Reminded me of a very funny routine by Bob Newhart, where he is "on the phone" with Sir Walter Raleigh, who had come to America to find salable goods to ship back home. Something like:

"Yeah, Walt, we got that ship load of birds all right. What are they called, Walt? Turkeys? Yeah, as a matter of fact they are fine, Walt. They're walking all over London as a matter of fact. See, that's an AMERICAN holiday, Walt..."

Had some great practice yesterday, and did a show with my grandson. We made it an all-card show which was perfect for the after-dinner group. I used a story poem for Skinner's Monte and a great routine from the Card-Shark on the Gypsy Curse.

Another card effect I really love is a freebie thanks to Hocus-Pocus called "Brainwave" I believe. It is on their site under free downloads, and really fun to do. Takes a little time to prepare the first time, but well worth it. Now, I shall put the decks back in my purse, and resume with the coins...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, Mary. Hope it gets better fast. Meanwhile, check out Nick Kranzo's "Drink", a neat mentalism idea that you can practice in your head...

Regards,

Jim

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 11:31pm
... pretty lonely here...
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yea but no news is boring news.

My shoulder is better.

I found a new trick to add to my routine. My routine does not need a new trick.

Seems like every time I get close to the finish line the line moves. This is not the first time this has come up.

I can't tell if it's a quest for excellence or a self sabotaging tactic. Nothing ever seems finished.

I'll keep the move in for practice and see how it works out by Jan. 1st (my finish date).

I guess I'm seeing the advantage of a finish date.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Glad to hear about the shoulder improvement, Mary.

As a "new trick junkie" I can't help you much other than to say "wanna buy some neat stuff?"

I have heard it said that many people who go into psychology, as an example, do so to find out what is wrong with themselves. Likewise, I think, some of us get into magic because we are fooled by it and find it truly magical. So, I, for one, am one of the biggest "marks" for new tricks.

Plus, I don't want to ever have things "finished". Too scary of a concept.

Some time back I started adding a "daily dozen" to my practice time- a run-thru of the effects I want to have "under my thumb", just once with each. I was called upon to perform at a recent gathering, and was amazed at how that daily practice allowed me to perform with ease and confidence. It happened I was asked to do card effects, and it felt really good to be prepared. I even was able to recite a poem I use when doing Skinner's Monte!

I've just added Extreme Burn to my "play" list and having a ball with it...

Good to hear from you...

Regards,

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2009-12-06 12:10, mandarin wrote:
...Some time back I started adding a "daily dozen" to my practice time- a run-thru of the effects I want to have "under my thumb", just once with each. I was called upon to perform at a recent gathering, and was amazed at how that daily practice allowed me to perform with ease and confidence. It happened I was asked to do card effects, and it felt really good to be prepared. I even was able to recite a poem I use when doing Skinner's Monte!...

Excellent, Jim!

I've been working with my sheep and wolves today. The routine I'm performing is just delightful with the smaller coins. And it's lovely the way the coins seem to have a wonderful knack of landing sheep and wolf side up!

Laurie
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Well it's Friday so I'm checking in.

Did my practice faithfully but did not achieve great results. I'm wondering if some of my newer moves are just too problematic for me to do consistently. I'm still in there pitching though because I want it very badly (actually, I want it very good).

Mandarin,
Your 'Daily Dozen" sounds good. I do maybe a Daily 5. Don't you feel great when opportunity meets preparation to your good advantage.

magicalaurie,
I've seen your new coins, beautiful, and I look forward to seeing your finished performance. I know what you mean about the animals landing up. Sometimes the universe is singing to you or at least winking at you.

todsky,
We await your reports at the end of January. Hope all is well with the baby boy and the new house.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Good to hear from both of you!

I am fairly well on schedule, except a bit sidetracked by Extreme Burn. Got it to the performable stage now. It is definitely a great effect, real magic. Sanders is coming out with EB2, so will have to wait to see if it has any advantages.

Laurie, I hope to see your routine some day. I agree those coins look fantastic. So does your Phant. Did you pick a name yet? I gave some time and thought to a name but the best I came up with was "Phant-Astic" but the phonetics just don't work. Then I tried "Phant-Asia" but unless it's a Chinese elephant...

I hear you do a coin roll- I want to learn that!

Mary, been there. One day it will break free and seem like the easiest thing to do. I would recommend "The Ostrich Factor" as a book on how to practice for the best results. It has helped me.

Any gigs for the Holidays? I am doing New Year's Eve, so getting out my flash wand...

Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday Season. By the way, I have a modest Gift posted on Secret Sessions under "An even humbler offering... " Hope you like it!

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2009-12-13 11:01, mandarin wrote:

Laurie, I hope to see your routine some day. I agree those coins look fantastic. So does your Phant. Did you pick a name yet? I gave some time and thought to a name but the best I came up with was "Phant-Astic" but the phonetics just don't work. Then I tried "Phant-Asia" but unless it's a Chinese elephant...

I hear you do a coin roll- I want to learn that!

Thanks, Jim. Yes, we have a winner! But you'll have to wait til December 24 for the announcement. Smile

I love the coinroll, much fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amhEemDbTYU
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Well, in the event that I am unavailable to hear Laurie's winner, or to express my thoughts for a wonderful holiday for my fellow practicers, may I wish to each of you a very pleasant Holiday, and a New Year filled with opportunity and magic! All ya' gotta' do is believe... and practice...

Regards,

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

Click photo. Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Excellent choice magicalaurie.

Hope everyone had a great solstice.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

"The darkest evening of the year..."

Had a great solstice, just as you hoped, Mary! Now getting ready to ring in the new year, which term I believe comes from the fact that my ears will be ringing for a day or two to start 2010!

Hope you all have a great celebration, and wonderful New Year!

To good friends, great magic and fun times...

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Made a great breakthrough with the Sheep and Wolves this evening- looks like a rather minor adjustment will make a powerful difference. Also, hoping to get a good video take of my presentation for David Roth's "The Purse and Glass" on Friday!