The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..25..33..41..49..57~58~59 [Next]
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Hi everyone!

Recieved the Mogar knives over the weekend along with his DVD and Merrill's Knife Book. so much material to absorb! Just working on skills now, need to develop a routine and then start working on it. Will probably start with a simple three knife one - suggestions?

Hudson

Andrew - will stop well short of 100 reps!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Did Impossi-Bill in 1 min 18 sec. fold cut and weave included.

I'm really going through the bills. Now I have to Magic tape the ones that are too old to use and spend them. One wouldn't bother me but if a cashier notices that they feel different it's hard to explain the numbers of taped dollars I'm using. Oh well...

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hudson - Good luck! Unfortunately I don't know of any knife routines as I've never worked with them. I suppose you could juggle them? That seems to take a special skill set though.... Smile

Mary - Just tell them you accidentally dumped your wallet into a food processor or something.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Can you sign up for this Mr. Mystoffelees I enjoyed reading through many posts what you are all doing here. It's a great idea.

I'm going to set myself two goals, one is to practice performing Torn (torn and restored card) I have a lot of old decks to use up so I'm going to perform it 52 times starting with the Ace of spades. I really want to perform this well, the other is to be able to perform one coin production and two vanishes, I tried to vanish a coin once a few years ago for around 5 minutes! that's all the experience I have with coins! I only have one Dvd from which to learn from which is Micheal Ammar 'Amaze everyone with coins in your pocket'. I've been tipped some books like Bobo maybe I'll invest in those later on.

1. Torn 52 times
2. Learn and perform well a production and 2 different vanishes with coins
Target 5th of Jul(for now)
I shall be recording the whole time just for discipline and scrutiny purposes.

Happy days

Jason
Magic or just an illusion? it's a free choice .... isn't it?
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Jason-

You're in, and welcome! Sounds like you have a really good plan- good luck with it!

I love Torn, so here is a hint that helped me. I found the cards a bit too slippery considering how accurate you have to be. I sprayed a light layer of Dull Cote on the surfaces that were giving me trouble and "voil" it worked like... well, magic. Just an idea...

Andrew, the food processor is brilliant! Actually, I have a beagle that will do a good job...

Mary- that's got to be a world record! I have the effect, just can't get up the energy to really work on it. How do you present it? And, fun-gi????

Good to hear everyone is working on some great stuff! I am starting to work toward spring and getting out on the street. Got a really good DVD at MagiFest called "Relentless Rlng and String". What I like is that it is a full routine with about 7-10 ring and string moves that are great. Perfect for the 30 minutes a day schedule, and I think it will get people up to the table once you stop them with some larger effects.

Take care all and, enjoy the practice!

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Thanks Mary! You are a good Spore! I use the Fun - Guy a lot. I'm going to apply 1/2 hour/day through the 2/27 to my sponge mushroom routine before presenting it at my Ring meeting on 2/28. Jim I hope that clears up your question to Mary about fun-gi??? because I don't have mush-room for any more on that right now! I couldn't help myself, I take delight in the PUN-ishment of others.

Pete
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Thanks Jim, I Just started on the Ammar Coin Dvd and I've already got a production down well from the Thumb palm and Downs palm it's probably the easiest one you can do, you coin guys will know what I mean and why I got it so fast. I know everything else is going to be slow going from here Smile .One problem I have already is all the coins in the UK are so small and light compared to the U.S this is a bit of a sucky detail I didn't think about I really want to work with my currency, some or our coins are even made from copper! way too light to work with, Ill get me a 2 pound coin from the corner shop tomorrow thank goodness for those!

Jason
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Down to 1 min 15 sec. Got a stack of brand new bills yesterday, horrible for speed, too crispy, look great folded though.
I don't have any idea how to perform impossi-bill yet. The puzzle intrigued me, then the speed thing. I'll ruminate on the performance for a while but probably a switch, without folding it in front of the spectator at all.

Pete, I've had it to the gills with these bad fungus puns. I give, sorry for my sillya ways.

Silent Shadow, I know you don't want light coins but 2 pounds seems a bit excessive. Although we have old 50 cent pieces and old Eisenhower silver dollars in the U.S. most young adults would not even recognize them as US currency. I believe that Magicians are the only ones using them.

Andrewzuber, you can, and should, spread the practice over time. Do you have a deadline?

-Mary Mowder

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 1:37am
Hey Peter,

Is that you in the Linking Ring?

Feb. 2011, Linking Ring, page 32, 2nd left, top row.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

NO PUN RULE: Section 143.48(B)(iii) Para 23, line 14 (UMS code)

No puns are allowed that make anyone's skin crawl. (I.E. "fun-guy")

Really we should all be concentrating on our practice. I am practicing a new effect wherein I produce, out of mid-air, a working AM-FM radio. The ad for the trick guarantees I will love performing it, and that I can always count on a good reception...
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Mary - No specific deadline. I just thought I should start solidly working on a piece every day for a certain period of time before I have it down. This is a very simple card trick...the only really issue being that it happens from a shuffled deck, so depending on the placement of some cards, I need to have a few "outs" ready to get me in the right position. I've made up an Excel spreadsheet and put an "X" down for every performance I do, and will make a note if I had to use one of the outs. This way I can judge approximately what percentage of the time that will happen in real performance. It's more out of curiosity, anyway. Then at the end of each session, I put in a few notes...what to work on next time, what patter I was using that worked well, the workings of one of my particular outs...things of that nature. Then I stamp the date on each practice session, and tada! I have a full record of my history with that effect, including how many times I've performed it. Am I going overboard? Probably. But I like statistics (sometimes.)

Jim - Just keep that beagle away from my headshot. I coat each one in chocolate before I send it out. Gives it that extra special kick to grab attention. I know, I'm a marketing genius.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
Andrew which Joshua Jay card trick are you working on, is this the effect you need outs from?

Jason

Posted: Feb 18, 2011 6:08pm
Well I waved a couple of times at the wife with an open palm and fooled her with an air coin production at the finger tips, that's part one of two completed. I'm feeling a bit of a bug coming on here.

Ja
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
It's his version of the elevator plot...cards put on the bottom wind up on the top, etc. Nothing fancy but you need to do a little extra work if going into it from a shuffled deck, depending on where certain cards are as you pull them out. It was an online thing through Penguin...I wish more places had material like that available. I bought a few things from them YEARS ago and can still log in to watch the explanations anytime I want to. "Outs" may not be the exact word to describe this, but you do have to handle them differently under certain conditions.
silent shadow
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
231 Posts

Profile of silent shadow
I'm a member of Penguin too I bought a few of Oz pearlmans effect years ago and they are still there I checked the other day after 3 years away, they have great prices there on dvd's and packet tricks too.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Jason - welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a good plan and are off to a good start. Ever consider beer caps instead of coins? They are light and small, but ridges make them easy to work with. Also common so not a 'magic prop'

Hudson
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jim,

You seem to have broken your own rule. Leave us hope this doesn't happen with any frequency.

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Wel, thank the Lord that someone got it!

And, you are so right, Mary, I apologize. That comment was really below my station...

Jim
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3026 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I got it. I was just afraid to acknowledge it for fear there might be more coming Smile
Peter Stobie
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
177 Posts

Profile of Peter Stobie
Mary,

I have not received my first copy yet! I await in great anticipation! I will let you know once I see it!

Jim,

It really hertz me when you start quoting regulations! I think we all better get back to practicing!

Pete Smile (The Fun Guy!)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Bet I K-NOW Watts coming next (more bad puns).

-Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Yeah, I hear they are making the circuit...