The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..56~57~58~59 [Next]
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Hey, Andrew! Really good to hear from you. Yes, the times they are a changing'. Hopefully this country can get it together again, and all that starts with getting Covid under control. Here in Ohio, those in the know are begging people to stay home and not have gatherings. When you look at the air travel, however, we could very well have a bigger rise in cases than ever, as seem to be ignoring the warnings.

We cancelled the family Thanksgiving festivities about a week ago, and I am busy trying to hook up Zoom so we can all do a video version. I hit the smoker today for some smoked salmon and turkey drumstick action and my mate, Carolyn, is a very good cook, so we will not starve. I feel so sorry for those who are struggling, and we are trying to help. Mostly, though, I am distributing what I can to friends and neighbors who are working the hospitals. It is shameful that most of them still have to use N95 masks and gowns day after day without being able to change them, so I have found some suppliers.

I hope all of you have a pleasant Thanksgiving- in spite of this very rough year (and I remember celebrating that '19 was finally over!) it is uplifting to think of the good things we have and to give thanks for our blessings.

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
My name is Ira. My goal this week is work more on sponge magic, in particular trying to make sure I don't flash the ball between fingers.

I personally find setting goals and social pressure is a really good motivator for me, but I'm also still very amateurish. Is posting videos of my once a week progress of my goal against etiquette (or suggestions on how to do that to show progress).
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hello, Wizuriel, and welcome! WE are a month in since you posted, so I guess need to ask how did your week of practice go? This site started out as a way to encourage regular practice - at least 5 days a week for a half hour a day average. I had steady action for quite awhile, but has fallen into hit and miss, with mostly miss. That doesn't mean you won't get great tips, just that they are "far between". Glad to have you here, though. Jim
Wizuriel
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Wizuriel
Wish I had the time to do 30min 5 days a week reliable :p but do I feel in a month made some good progress. Been going though Daryl's master class of spongeballs and TCC from their last kickstarter. While I really like Daryl's retention vanish didn't really start to get the hang of it until I tried actually doing a routine standing up and realized what a difference that angle made.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Angles can be very important. Bill Malone has some very good ideas for sponge work. My favorite is where he produces a sponge ball in one hand, puts it into the other hand, and continues to produce an inexhaustible supple of sponge balls. It never ceases to amaze...

p.s. The 5 days is way more important than the 30 minutes, so if you can do even 5 minutes REGULARLY the progress will surprise you. Also, an advantage of sponge balls is you can practice while watching tv, waiting at a traffic light, etc...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Happy Holidays, Everyone! Hope you are safe and well! Jim
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

WELL as someone recently said "2020 won!" With which I agree, as I eagerly await 2021. Wish for all a pleasant NEW year!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
How was it nearly a year ago that I checked in on this page? What a time to be alive! Just feeling lucky that I am. Jim, I'd love your tips on the smoker if you have any! I may be in Ohio in August so you're welcome to demonstrate for me in person if you'd like. I'll bring the meat.

I've stayed busier this past year than ever in regards to magic. Lots of Zoom shows for events all over the world. Performing for a group in the Philippines at 3AM was a good time, and I put on my own one-hour show that didn't involve renting a theater space because I owned a laptop and a bedroom, so that was fun. Lots of birthday parties, weddings and school functions. That said I miss performing at the Magic Castle and I'm eager for us to safely reopen so I can entertain in person again.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Andrew, good to hear from you!

I am so sorry that I have not been checking in here as often as I should, and completely missed your mention of being in Ohio last August. I would have heartily enjoyed the visit, and the chance to explore ways to create good things with the smoker... sad to miss the opportunity.

I have wondered how the MC was doing as we continue to grapple with the virus. How are they staying above-water in such impossible conditions?

How does a "zoom show" work? If you get a chance, I would like to hear about that.

As for me, things are fine, just the expected grappling with the aging process. I haven't been performing since the advent of covid, and am thinking of listing some things for sale here in the Café.

Many years from now, folks with marvel that we found a way to survive!

Thanks for checking in, and my best wishes for your health and success!

Jim
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Hi everyone!

Hard to believe it has been 3 years since I’ve posted here and probably about the same since I’ve even visited The Café! I was inspired to return by Al Schneider! Attended his lecture yesterday in Minneapolis (Hopkins) and he mentioned that he remembered me from posting here on The Café. I moved to Minnesota after Al had mostly stopped attending magic club meeting and I had never had a chance to meet him before. As always, his insight into magic theory was thought provoking.

This past year has been difficult for all magicians (and other entertainers), but my magic camps did very well (Twin Cities Magic Academy). In 2020 I taught as many kids (mostly over Zoom) as in 2019 and in 2021 more than double that number! If you have any interest in teaching kids magic, I’d be happy to speak with you about it.

I also took some of the pandemic to create a new show - I regret that I didn’t start until February instead of several months sooner, but better late than never. I did get an 18 minute parlor show ready for Memorial Day and ran that show every week at a local resort (I live in a resort area about 100 miles north of Minneapolis). I’ve now expanded to a 30 minute stage show and will soon be up to 45 minutes. I worked with a magic coach, Tyler Erickson, and the show is built around my life story - mostly military experiences. My goal is that not only is the magic interesting, but the stories around the magic are interesting in and of themselves.

Looking forward to an active holiday show season (hopefully!).

Trust all of you are well.

Hudson
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Let me say that I've been very bad about practicing OR rehearsing! I started at Wal-Mart in 2003, the thing about Wal-Mart is that you get bounced around the schedule, different times and different days off. This made it difficult to plan anything on a regular basis.

Recently, Wal-Mart offered regular, steady schedules. I currently work 11 - 8, with Friday and Sunday off on a regular basis.

So, I'm hopefully, planning a regular practicing schedule on Fridays and Sundays.

Wish me luck.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2021, ed rhodes wrote:
Let me say that I've been very bad about practicing OR rehearsing! I started at Wal-Mart in 2003, the thing about Wal-Mart is that you get bounced around the schedule, different times and different days off. This made it difficult to plan anything on a regular basis.

Recently, Wal-Mart offered regular, steady schedules. I currently work 11 - 8, with Friday and Sunday off on a regular basis.

So, I'm hopefully, planning a regular practicing schedule on Fridays and Sundays.

Wish me luck.

Several years ago, I used the Wal-Mart concession area of the town I was in to practice. I would entertain the elderly men and women who stopped for a sandwich or drink. One time, a man stopped to watch and after a couple tricks stuck a $5 bill in y pocket and walked away. Lately, I have been restricting my practice to the cadavers at the funeral home. Granted, they don't clap for you but they don't complain when a trick goes wrong. No hecklers there at all. Practice where you can.....
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3830 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Mr. Mystoffelees,

You need to change your saying, "I haven't changed anyone's opinion in 3622 Posts." You changed mine in post 3523. lol
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Aug 19, 2021, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
Andrew, good to hear from you!

I am so sorry that I have not been checking in here as often as I should, and completely missed your mention of being in Ohio last August. I would have heartily enjoyed the visit, and the chance to explore ways to create good things with the smoker... sad to miss the opportunity.

I have wondered how the MC was doing as we continue to grapple with the virus. How are they staying above-water in such impossible conditions?

How does a "zoom show" work? If you get a chance, I would like to hear about that.

As for me, things are fine, just the expected grappling with the aging process. I haven't been performing since the advent of covid, and am thinking of listing some things for sale here in the Café.

Many years from now, folks with marvel that we found a way to survive!

Thanks for checking in, and my best wishes for your health and success!

Jim

Hi Jim! Good to hear from you as well! I obviously don't check in here much these days either, but still very much in magic! The castle is doing quite well and holiday shows have gone well. Covid is being taken seriously and we've had great crowds. It's been nice to be back in the club, staying involved and performing for live audiences again.

Zoom shows really just involved doing my act on the Internet for folks all over the world! I set up a studio in my house where I was able to have several cameras that I could control just with the click of a mouse. It allowed me to expand the show since I didn't have to travel with it (though I did do it from an Airbnb in Austin at one point, but by then I had the process pretty well understood.)

Jon Armstrong did a great presentation for Castle members about doing Zoom shows with lots of helpful tips and tricks...and tricks, I suppose. Always nice to know it's an option but working live is surely appealing!

I hope everyone is having a happy and healthy holiday season!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Aug 29, 2021, 55Hudson wrote:
Hi everyone!

Hard to believe it has been 3 years since I’ve posted here and probably about the same since I’ve even visited The Café! I was inspired to return by Al Schneider! Attended his lecture yesterday in Minneapolis (Hopkins) and he mentioned that he remembered me from posting here on The Café. I moved to Minnesota after Al had mostly stopped attending magic club meeting and I had never had a chance to meet him before. As always, his insight into magic theory was thought provoking.

This past year has been difficult for all magicians (and other entertainers), but my magic camps did very well (Twin Cities Magic Academy). In 2020 I taught as many kids (mostly over Zoom) as in 2019 and in 2021 more than double that number! If you have any interest in teaching kids magic, I’d be happy to speak with you about it.

I also took some of the pandemic to create a new show - I regret that I didn’t start until February instead of several months sooner, but better late than never. I did get an 18 minute parlor show ready for Memorial Day and ran that show every week at a local resort (I live in a resort area about 100 miles north of Minneapolis). I’ve now expanded to a 30 minute stage show and will soon be up to 45 minutes. I worked with a magic coach, Tyler Erickson, and the show is built around my life story - mostly military experiences. My goal is that not only is the magic interesting, but the stories around the magic are interesting in and of themselves.

Looking forward to an active holiday show season (hopefully!).

Trust all of you are well.

Hudson

This all sounds great! I'd love to see Al lecture at some point. One of the benefits of the past two years (I'm always looking for the silver lining) is that I was able to "attend" a number of different lectures from my dining room table, so I picked up some new ideas and added a lot of material to my act.

Happy holidays!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Hello there! I am still convinced that discussing progress and setbacks is helpful. What have you been up to?
disbelief
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of disbelief
Of all the threads on this website I feel this one is one of the most valuable. Cheers to the person who started it many years ago. Writing down our commitments helps us be much more accountable. Well done, I hope this thread stays alive for those who see the power in it
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hey Jim! Nice to hear from you! I've been at the Magic Castle regularly lately, solidifying my new act which has been a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I've now taped 41 shows there as I work through the material and the scripting. Some nights are better than others, though it's all been going in the right direction. I've had the help of a couple of great performers to tighten it and strengthen certain pieces. That's been my primary focus over the past few months!

How's everyone else been?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I may be talking to myself here but I figured I'd update this in case I lose my mind one day and forget what I've done in the past.

That said, I debuted the new act at the Magic Castle in December, and the audiences were great all week. It was a lot of fun but I did have to trim some stuff from it to squeeze it into the performance window. I've submitted my stuff to the Chicago Magic Lounge and will be popping in a few weeks from now, as I haven't yet seen a show there despite all the times I've been to the city. They look for longer acts, closer to 30 minutes, so it'll be nice to add some stuff back into the set and interact with the audience a bit more.

I also had a couple of fun holiday gigs, including the Rick and Morty party which was held for about 300 people at the Los Angeles Zoo. I'd never done a card trick for a giraffe before.

Anywho, I hope everyone else in this little group is doing well!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Hi Andrew, Jim, and everyone else!

I’m back popping in again. The past couple of years have been pretty amazing for me. Over the pandemic, I created a new themed show based primarily on my experiences in the military. It is playing very well with my audiences and I’m continuing to refine and perfect it. I’ve also started to take my strolling magic and tie it into my military theme. It’s been a blast performing to stories that really mean something to me.

My magic camps are going extremely well. I now teach between 150 and 200 kids every year, most of them in June & July. I run week-long camps though the schools teaching the Discover Magic program. The schools, parents, and kids all love the program and it’s fun to teach. If anyone wants to know more about Discover Magic, I’m happy to share my experience.

Andrew - I haven’t been to the Castle since before the pandemic. I look forward to getting back soon and hope to catch your show when I’m in town.