The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Time after time :: Who Will Stand With Me? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..14..25..36..47..55~56~57~58~59 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
That'd be great to connect! I was supposed to be doing a movie in Savannah but I'm 99% sure it's being pushed to March, so I should be around. We can touch base as the time gets closer!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Sounds great! I'll send you a PM - my email is Hudson@HudsonMagic.com

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
Glad to see some action in this thread.

Jim, sorry your hitting a bad patch with the health of Friends and Family. I think we are all of an age where we understand and empathize.

My Ring and Ribbon is finally seeing the light of Day in selected gigs. I have a very strong Ring and Rope so I have to choose which is best for my show.
It is going over well for colleagues and very well for lay people. Clearly I'm nervous in front of other Magicians LOL.

-Mary Mowder

Hey Mary - well the beat goes on - just fell down some stairs and landed on my face - counting the minutes until there is no 2017. Glad to hear you are going well. I've been out of action for quite a while and am now just getting back into some regular practice - lots of spare time but fuzzy vision - hope you, Hudson, Andrew and all have a pleasant holiday -- Joys of the season! Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jim, VERY sorry to hear about the fall.

I hope 2018 is better for all of us!

I had the perfect Stand-Up/Close-Up gig to try Ring and Ribbon and a new bill switch (I've never done one) but because of a glue problem on my NewsFlash I was forced to go with all of my strongest material so no chance to do any new stuff. I get so few Close-Up gigs that I'm really bummed. On a happy note the gig when VERY well despite the one SNAFU so it came out wonderfully well from the client's perspective.

Might be time for the large index cards. I find that after even a short session with the computer my vision is fuzzy for quite a while. Any chance that is the problem?

Hopefully your face was scrambled by the fall in a better direction. One can always hope! LOL

Happy New Year to ALL!

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday! I'm up in Seattle where it's far colder than the Los Angeles weather I'm accustomed to, but it's nice being with friends and family!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Merry Christmas everyone!

Here in Merrifield MN have beautiful snow on the trees and lake. Of course tomorrow's forecast is for a high of -9 and a low of -19 .... We've opted for hearty beef stew for Christmas dinner instead of our normal turkey!

I'm thinking I need to look for work on a cruise ship next winter ....

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Fabulous Winter Solstice, Cheerful Kwanzaa, and best wishes for any other holiday you may celebrate!

Hudson
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
What's everyone been up to? It's been awhile since I've checked in here! I performed for a large group of French animators at the Magic Castle this weekend which was fun - a good excuse to produce an Eiffel Tower. I see them at work (I'm doing an animated series now) and they keep asking for more tricks. They're only in L.A. for another week so I don't think I'll run out of material, though I'm working to Paris with our team in November for a few weeks so I may need to pick up a few new bits.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Nice to hear from you Andrew.

I've been working on a no th**b t*p bill switch and developing a lighter Stand-Up act.

Ongoing Ring and Ribbon project. I don't book enough Close-Up gigs to feel comfortable with this. When I do get a chance ( and the nerve) to do Ring and Ribbon, it is going over great, despite not having a real routine yet. Really hoping for some Halloween Strolling Close-Up gigs.

Let us know if the animated series will be available in the US and in English.

Mary Mowder
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Andrew, Mary,

Great to hear from both of you! I'm revisiting my card work - started with Card College 1 and working my way through the series again. I've found that I've gotten sloppy with my card work over the past few years. Revisiting the basics is helping my get my technique back in shape.

On the new front, just picked up loops a few days ago and working on some "impromptu" levitation.

Mary - for ring and ribbon, you might check out "Rope, Nut, Knot". (Don't recall the creator at the moment). Seems this routine could easily be adapted to ribbon & ring.

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

Andrew, Mary, Hudson-

How absolutely GREAT to hear from you! I kind of drifted from active magic work once my grandson quit "Generation Gap" due to college and girls. About a month ago, I had a huge bale of hay drop on my head at the farm, and as part of my recuperation have decided to get back into it. Since I am not as mobile as usual I am working on cards, sponge balls and loops. Having time to practice is no longer an issue, and am eager to get back some of the skills I once had. The very best to y'all!

Jim
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Nice to see you guys here. Sorry to hear about your accident, Jim. What kind of bale- square, round...? Yikes. I've been focusing on music the last couple of years but still looking to find time to work on my Nature close-up set. I have the concept and a plan all written out- glad I did that, so I have something to continue from. I've been performing traditional music on the street, busking for our local market and seasonal festivals in the area and been having a lot of fun with costume design and making. I hope you'll have a speedy recovery, Jim. Take care, all. Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jim,
See what happens when you bale on Magic?

Seriously Jim, I hope you feel better soon.
Your Magic will definitely help with the recovery and the time will be great for your Magic.
I like that you've found a positive direction from this.

-Mary Mowder
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hope you feel better, Jim! Hope you burned the hay to show it who's boss.
I have a few charity gigs coming up - one for Netflix this month which I'm polishing some material for. Mary, your work with the ring and ribbon reminds me that I should work on my old ring and rope routine! I always enjoyed doing it and it's been awhile.

And my show will be on in the US, and in English! A release date is still up in the air but we're making nine episodes and because it's grounded fantasy, we are including some magic which is fun!

I hope the loops go well Hudson! I've never had the patience....
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Jim - Hope you are better soon. Would love to hear that you are motivated to get focused in magic again.

Loops are interesting. I've broken one already and lost another! I see the potential (pun intended) but not sure I can afford to reach it! We will see on this.

I also just got the 2 DVD set in Ramsay's routines by Andrew Galloway Wow! Inspired to revisit (you may recall I worked on Ramsay's Coin/ & Cylinder some years ago) not just coins & cylinder and coins in hat, but a number of other routines on the DVDs. There are some slights that I would substitute, but the structure of the routines are very nice. I love revisiting older work that many of today's magicians have forgotten - many are straight-forward plots that can amaze an audience of any age and any generation.

Hudson
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I saw David Gabbay do his coin and cylinder routine at the castle this past weekend and it's always a thing of beauty. It's fun to see something you haven't watched in awhile and get excited about it again! I should probably pull out the cases under my bed and see what gems I have sitting in there that I haven't touched in awhile.

I'll have to take a look at that DVD set! It sounds great.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Update on Loops:

"No matter which product you use, it will take many hours to get the feel of working with IT. It is some you have to develop a sense of touch to get comfortable with.

You should also find a good hand lotion that will help with snagging because of rough and dry hands. Always wash your hands before trying to work with IT. IT is very fragile and one little raised piece of dry skin can destroy the illusion attempting to be created."
Bill Hegbli (from another thread )

Well said by Bill. I've lost two loops and broken one. Mechanically, using the loops to create miracles is easy. Making it look natural, not losing track of the loops, keeping them from catching on dry skin, are another story. It will take lots of practice, but good thing is they are easy to keep in the wallet using Innercircle and you can certainly be keep in position to use for an extended period of time. It will take some work to get used to using them - more like getting comfortable shuffling or spreading cards than learning a trick - a little bit each day; I will update in progress.

Hudson
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3623 Posts

HI, folks-

I am doing pretty well, given the accident which, incidentally, coincided with my total retirement from farm work! I am scheduled for cervical surgery in January, which has me a bit nervous. Jury is out as to whether or not I go thru with it. Fact it, I am fortunate it wasn't way worse. Round bales weigh 800-1000 pounds, and it dropped from about 12 feet above me directly onto the canopy. I was pinned in the tractor for over 15 minutes, as "what would Houdini do" wandered thru my mind. Definitely a double lift is much safer. I am in good spirits and happy to hear what "you'all" are up to! Jim
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Jim,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I had no idea it was one of the big bales (not that I'd like to be hit by one of the squared ones).Best of luck if you go through with the surgery. Stay in touch.

I got to meet Suzanne yesterday at her lecture. I was really impressed. I probably liked the talk about her life and such more than the lessons since I'm totally not looking for new Magic tricks to do. Still and all, I did learn some useful stuff and I hope (with practice) to put it to good service.

-Mary Mowder
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Jim - sorry to hear how serious your accident was - glad to hear you are on the mend and have options regarding how to proceed. Good luck with your decision in which ever way to go. Looking forward to reports of you on the mend.

Mary - I know Suzanne and have seen her perform, jammed with her, and have worked gigs with her. Lovely person and an amazing entertainer - her audience management skills are second to none! She rarely lectures locally (maybe once?) - you are never famous in your home town! Many could learn from her audience management skills and her approach to entertainment.

Continuing my work with Loops. Getting more comfortable with them. The versatility is extremely high - basic presentation most shown is floating a dollar bill, but any light object works - bar coaster torn in half, bar napkin, bar bill, tissue, etc. Can be carried in wallet (using the Innercircle) and put into position discreetly - but not under direct scrutiny - and you are ready to go. Don't think I will use for strolling gigs, but pretty good when asked to do a trick sitting around dinner table or other impromptu situation.

Hudson
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Hey all...can't believe it's been so long since I checked in on this thread! Jim, I hope you're doing better and I'm sorry to have missed that update!

Suzanne is incredible - I see her every time she's at the Magic Castle. Can't get enough of her act.

I hope everyone is doing well in this crazy time. I've been working on some new coin stuff and posting magic videos on a somewhat regular basis on Instagram since the club is closed. Interesting times we're living in but we'll get through it!

Andrew