The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Telepathy in Action (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have just read Orville Meyer's Telepathy in Action, an old text that describes a very innovative approach to doing a hypnosis show without hypnotising anyone. I have experimented with this approach myself, but his method seems a lot bolder and more direct than any I had considered.
He has an approach of disguising indirect suggestions as 'telepathic commands' which I found fascinating - and very credible. Basically if you get your volunteers in the grove at the start you will have a great show, with a completely different feel.
Those of you familiar with Kenton Knepper's Kentonism will recognise this as an earlier, less obscure and more practical version of that idea.
Has anyone read it? Tried it? What results did you get? I would love to hear. Tony.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Tony,

I have performed it and I have always loved any second of it.

Yes, it's gutsy, ballsy, sneaky... (Insert any similar adjective of your choice) ... yet it works!

I think - and my opinion is subject to change without any express warning Smile - that this is something like the Q&A Act.

Let me explain why - Is this geared toward a beginner? I would say NO! Does it take a strong performer (conviction is in my opinion the only real key here!)? I would say YES! Should one try to incorporate bits of it and progressively go for the full, "naked" version of it? I would say YES!

However, when one has acquired some knowledge under his belt, the next thing he MUST do... is performing it! Some things are only fully gotten thru trial and error!

For your info - My version however is not pure "Meyer" (if anything such that really exists) but it's rather MY OWN final "distillation" of what I know works for me, and I did draw bits and ideas from a lot of different sources.

And for the record - I think that one should also read Ford Kross' SUGGESTIVE MENTALISM / IT AIN'T BODYBUILDING for some great tips on making this work while you are still performing other things (I cannot be more precise than that) and Enrique Enriquez' THE ACT OF IMAGINATION (which is Enrique's take on the concept exposed by Orville Meyer thru George Lyman).

In the recent past, Jerome Finley and I have discussed this performance piece in detail, and I know he is going to publish HIS OWN final "distillation" in his upcoming new book: Thought Veil.

EDIT:

Just wanted to add - Kreskin was in my opinion a master at doing something on this very line of thought.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thank you Paolo. You have convinced me. I will try this out, with modifications to suit my personality. One final question; what sort of audiences does this work for? I would presume, but I might be wrong, that it would work best on a thoughtful and mature audience, rather than a drunken college crowd. Do you find that you use traditional hypnosis in some circumstances and this approach in different circumstances?
It strikes me that with a routine like this, coupled with a strong Q&A, you would have a complete high-impact act.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-09-22 18:22, TonyB2009 wrote:
Thank you Paolo. You have convinced me. I will try this out, with modifications to suit my personality. One final question; what sort of audiences does this work for? I would presume, but I might be wrong, that it would work best on a thoughtful and mature audience, rather than a drunken college crowd. Do you find that you use traditional hypnosis in some circumstances and this approach in different circumstances?
It strikes me that with a routine like this, coupled with a strong Q&A; you would have a complete high-impact act.

This is a broad question, even if I know it does not seem it is at first glance.

First of all, I try to never perform before drunken audiences (of any age and "maturity") so I'm not the best person to know if this would work in such a context.

Although I can imagine one particular Mentalist who performed before tough guys, bikers and similar audiences and that probably COULD pull this off (but then, why would he do that?)

However, with young people this works well. I tell you that in actual case, I once performed that at a beach party that was held in the late afternoon. Lot of young guys and girls who loved this and as soon as I invited them to form a line behind me, they immediately complied and then went along with me all the time (and that's the only thing that really counts here!)

And, yes, I think (personal conviction of mine) that a Q&A, this one, and possibly a final stunt, like finding your paycheck (someone yelled "Kreskin!"?) you could have your full act ready to travel with you, wherever you go.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks - you've answered all my questions. I agree about drunk audiences. They are best avoided. But living in Ireland that is not always possible! It is encouraging that this worked well at a beach party. That's all I need to know. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Hi Tony,

if you are sriously planning to use TinA I thoroughly recommend 'Act of Imagination' by Enrique Enriquez. It has a similar principle in play but many subtleties and tips on improving this act IMO.

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks Anthony. I'll check it out, and a few others I have heard about. I love the concept, and I know I will try this out. Tony.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
And check Ford Kross work. is rare but is very good : lot of suggestion on using pendulum with TIA
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Enrique's work on the subject is superb (as are all his offerings, really).

I've not seen Ford's take on the subject - I can imagine it being very good with pendulums as is Cavalli's take on this powerhouse demonstration. TIA has been a regular part of my work for the past couple of years now and I discover new ways to use it in real life situations every single day (the BIG SECRET of the book).

In my experience the pure TIA act is a tough one for hypnotists to pull off at first, at least it was for me. The method(s) are sound and workable, yet there's a desire to want to turn it into a mock hypnosis show, be a hypnotist and stray from the original premise of 'Telepathy' which is something that really gives this act its unique charm and power. Done correctly it is obviously different from a hypnosis show and something within the grasp and skill range of many talented performers.

Like most psychologically bold demonstrations many are hesitant at first to try such a thing and as Paolo said, it's A LOT like performing a great Q&A and takes the same nerves of steel. I've developed quite a few gambits and techniques that cause the whole event to go off without a hitch and make it even much, much stronger than it originally appeared. The final product is a masterpiece show that one can do anytime, anywhere with excellent results.

Tony,

I wish you all the best with this routine. It's phenomenal. I DO already perform TIA with my 'Guerrilla Q&A' as roughly 2/3 of my full evening show (and this is also taught in my forthcoming book 'Thought Veil.'). I open with a series of psychological forces to choose the best participants, go into my TIA sequence with duo audience readings and end the program with a stunning piece of direct mind reading followed by 'Hurling the Headlines.' At no time are there props, gimmicks, stooges, preshow work or covert electronics involved which is also something I'm very proud of Smile

Those who can get a few performances of TIA under their belt without having to bail out in the first 5 minutes will be greatly rewarded. As far as telepathy goes, this and Q&A pretty much exemplifies it. It's all one really needs.

-Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Jermoe. Your show sounds like something special - my type of mentalism. No props, gimmicks, stooges, preshow work or covert electronics. Just miracles. Thanks for posting. It gives me something to aim for! Tony.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
My pleasure, Tony. You sound like my type of guy!

I wish you all the best with this act - it's something incredibly special and potent indeed.

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
jessewjoseph
View Profile
New user
California
82 Posts

Profile of jessewjoseph
Sorry to deviate just a little, but what is the appeal in finding one's paycheck?... Unless the magician was SPECTACULAR (or REALLY REALLY awful), I as an audience member wouldn't really care much if he found it or not.

Just one of those Kreskin things that bugs me, I guess. Though I suppose it could be interesting if done with a very small audience?
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Yes... I wonder what appeal in finding one's paycheck?

Hmmm.... Kreskin must be doing domething wrong as he did that for longer than I can remember...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Kind of like Financial Russian Roulette ... I always thought it was the best part Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Hello.

I heard that "Telepathy In Action" is a pseudo hypno act.
Talking with a pseudo hypno act, it reminds me of "Dr. Q hypno act".

Is there any difference between TIA and Dr. Q act?

@Jay@
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
There is a huge difference between Dr Q and Telepathy in Action. Dr Q is openly cueing your stooges, whereas Telepathy is far more subtle. I have done the Dr Q routine successfully, and have my own variation on it for suitable audiences (businessmen at a conference who won't admit to being hypnotised, for instance). It works well. But Telepathy in Action, which I look forward to roadtesting on my next suitable occasion, is a grander scheme altogether. It might come close to smacking of the real thing.
The main common factor between both is that you don't need any sort of trance induction to begin. Tony.
dsacks
View Profile
Special user
609 Posts

Profile of dsacks
Just got TIA -- think that it will be fun to read and as well as being informative - thanks all for peaking my interest, especially after reading the thread.

David
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I read this a long time ago. If I recall the wording, even then, it was fairly old fashioned or old wordly. Nothing wrong with that but it would need to be changed for today's world. If I recall properly it's a kind of hypnosis show without mentioning the word: hypnosis. Strongly leaning toward social compliance?
The good thing about this, here in the UK, is that you could do a full hypnosis show without any problems with regard to licensing or insurance.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Quote:
On 2009-09-22 07:40, TonyB2009 wrote:
Those of you familiar with Kenton Knepper's Kentonism will recognise this as an earlier, less obscure and more practical version of that idea.

Thanx all.

I am a hypnotist, and have a Kentonism book.

Which part of Kentonism has something to do with TIA? The kind of an induction card for a psychological number force in Kentonism book?

@Jay@
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-10-03 17:54, bobser wrote:
I read this a long time ago. If I recall the wording, even then, it was fairly old fashioned or old wordly. Nothing wrong with that but it would need to be changed for today's world. If I recall properly it's a kind of hypnosis show without mentioning the word: hypnosis. Strongly leaning toward social compliance?
The good thing about this, here in the UK, is that you could do a full hypnosis show without any problems with regard to licensing or insurance.

Fully agree on the possible social compliance bit...

Also, never forget that some people who will simply go along, after a while - because of getting used to follow your suggestions (either explicit or implied) will enter in a real trance (whathever that means!)

This is something most hypnotists know and / or wrote about.