The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Favorite Street Magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
altoni
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of altoni
Heavens to Mercitroids,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the Revolution," unless you're referring to him being on TV? What he's doing is nothing new as far as street performers go. I saw guys back in the 70s doing that. And I'm sure way before that.

But you are right, he is a magician. And he evidently inspired you, which is a good thing.

Al
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Quote:
On 2003-12-11 00:03, altoni wrote:
Heavens to Mercitroids...

But you are right, he is a magician. And he evidently inspired you, which is a good thing.

Al

He has evidently inspired MANY magicians and for that he should be respected.
kilgourpower
View Profile
New user
London
72 Posts

Profile of kilgourpower
Paul Zennon and David "Look at me everyone" Blaine.

I think Blaine doesn't really deserve all the bad press, he's inspired me and he's very watchable. Like Heavens said, "Respect the Revolution".

I like Zennon's jokey-matey way he does his tricks, like a friendly uncle!
Smile Smile
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Heavens to Mercitroids
Quote:
On 2003-12-11 00:03, altoni wrote:
Heavens to Mercitroids,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the Revolution," unless you're referring to him being on TV? What he's doing is nothing new as far as street performers go. I saw guys back in the 70s doing that. And I'm sure way before that.

Al

By "The Revolution" I mean ANY magic, magician or performance style that a lot of people I see on here claim isn't "real" magic. Just because it isn't "traditional" doesen't mean it isn't magic. And obviously you aren't one of those people.

I hope that makes sense. I'm not trying to say Blaine started a new style of performance, because I too saw street magicians doing the same thing he is doing years before I saw his first special. I'm also not insinuating that he is leading any sort of "Revolution." I am just using the "Revolution" reference as a type of synonym for "Change". It really has nothing to do with Blaine per se. It just seems he is the most in-the-spotlight magician that fits into this catagory.
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Another vote for Gregory Wilson, an impromptu genius.

Jack Smile
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Words in our language evolve and change. That is the meanings of words change. This is how our language came to be in this melting pot we call America. Consider that when the majority of the culture accepts a change in the meaning of a word, it soon becomes standard. Perhaps Blaine is changing, (albeit not intentionally) the definition of the word street magic, or at least augmenting it. Look in any dictionary and you will see several numbered definitions for any given word. Perhaps since the culture now accepts Blaine's magic as "Street magic" we whon are the elite should augment our personal dictionary to conform to what people are saying, otherwise, we may end up as fuddy duddies, out of step with the times. And that is my point. The public doesn't give a rats furry but about how we magicians define street magic. Blaine has done it. He has gotten into the public conciousness whether we like it or not. Whats done is done. It won't likely be undone. To millions of people he is now street magic personified. They have now added that word to their dictionarys, but we magicians insist on correcting and changing that. Umm, excuse me, but that is called banging our head against the wall. We should cherish the old definition of the word in our heart, but learn to speak the language of the people, and not expect them to conform to our expectations. Smile
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Paul Harris and Jeff Sheridan are great.
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Quote:
On 2003-09-21 12:35, andre combrinck wrote:
Why have so many people got a problem with Blaine?

Because he is not doing any proper magic. I'ts all just camera trickery and stooges and I have proof! And also that he's getting millions when proper magicians don't get anywhere near that much.
Best regards, Tom Smile

Oh and I would just like to add that it is CRISS Angel.
Not CHRIS Angel
Regards, Tom Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-09-21 12:35, andre combrinck wrote:
Why have so many people got a problem with Blaine?

On 2004-01-11 06:43, m.s.magic wrote:
because he is not doing any proper magic its all just camera trickery and stooges and I have proof!and also that hes getting millions when proper magicians don't get anyware near that much
Best regards tom Smile

OK.........The Proof?
When it's my time to shine.....The whole world is going blind.....From the Shiesty side of town.....Where a nickle costs a dime!
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Right David. On his Vertigo video did healed and sealed soda (empty crushed can is restored), well I and many other people have this trick and it is impossible to just go and get a can off someone (the people picnicking). They are stooges and many people would agree with me!
Best regards, Tom Smile
What is real and what is an illusion ? it all depends on your perception, reality is only limited by the boundries of the imagination, and imagination can defy the laws of everything - Criss Angel
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-01-11 10:30, m.s.magic wrote:
Right David. On his Vertigo video for that healed and sealed soda (empty crushed can is restored), well I and many other people have this trick and it is impossible to just go and get a can off someone (the people picnicking). They are stooges and many people would agree with me!
Best regards, Tom Smile

THAT is your "Proof"?

I'm not convinced.
m.s.magic
View Profile
Regular user
England-newcastle-
105 Posts

Profile of m.s.magic
Anyone who is a really serious magician will know that David is really fake. But loads of beginners really like David because they don't know enough to know all his stuff is badly fake!
(My opinion)
Best regards, Tom

P.S. Don't mean to offend.

Smile
Heavens to Mercitroids
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

I'm not offended by any means. Believe me, I'm not THAT big of a Blaine fan...I really just thought you had some "Proof" on his specials being "All" camera trickery and stooges.

Remember..."How else could he" isn't "Proof."

By the way, I like Criss Angel too. And even though I am a fan of both Blaine and Angel, I'm well aware that neither of them is all they are appear to be. But, I also know that they aren't as BAD as people say they are. Both have an emormous amount of skill, and talent, and deserve all of the fans, praise, exposure, and money that they both recieve.
joeybaron
View Profile
Regular user
dallas,texas
101 Posts

Profile of joeybaron
There is a wonderful man named Julian Stanley who performed in Central Park every week for years. This man took up magic at age 60. Learned & loved the classics. He never hustled money, but people were happy to give it up. He was a gentleman and loved coin magic, cups & balls, gypsy thread, linking rings, sponge balls, McDonald's aces. He was a regular at Ruben's Restaurant, where magicians used to meet on Saturdays. Maybe nobody has heard of him but during 80s-mid 90s he was the only street magician out there on a regular basis bringing smiles & wonder to coutless crowds of people. A real worker for the sheer love of it, he was known around as "Stanley" the cups & balls guy.
Shadowzen
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Shadowzen
David Blaine is the undisputed king of street magic, like it or not. Here in the US, success is measured in dollars and press, and it would be impossible to name a street magician who has done as well there.

Brad Christian is beginning to make inroads, but he is really only known to magicians right now.

The real reason so many people don't like Blaine is that they are jealous. They think, "Hey, I can do those simple tricks, he isn't that good, why don't I have a million dollars and a TV special?". But remember, magic is in the eyes of the spectators, not the hands of the magicians, so it is irrelevant what forms of trickery he uses.

Not doing proper magic? It's all trickery, whether accomplished with a camera & stooge or 17 years of practicing in front of a mirror. Of course, guys with 17 years of practice in front of a mirror and study of arcane texts must feel pretty stupid when they look at Blaine's fame and fortune.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Gazzo, Cerline are the top street buskers.
But as for Blaine, I have been selling the tricks he bought for years. Now thankfully I am asked all day long, "Do you know how he bit the coin? Yeah, sure for $30 pound please, you can do it too. What about the rising card? Yeah, sure. $10."

He has done well to make magic and himself popular. He has made his fortunes through the streets, but not while on the street. The guy is good at what he does, which is self promoting. He has made magic popular, but as for passing the hat, the noble task of entertaining and making you laugh and then parting with your well earned cash, you have to leave that to the buskers at the shopping mall near you. Until you taste the open air stage as you step out to entertain, you don't know really what I am talking about.
The difference between Blaine and a busker is the difference between The Spice Girls and Bob Dillon.
The Spice Girls made their millions; Bob Dillon is in the heart and sung by every other busker.
The only ones that can make a true judgement on Blaine as a street magi I believe are buskers. Blaine as a performer, then that is up to you. Smile
markmagic
View Profile
New user
KY
52 Posts

Profile of markmagic
Quote:
On 2003-08-14 10:59, Rich Cowley wrote:
Just saw this thread for the first time today and, wow, was I stunned to see *my* name among some of the greats (Cellini, Gazzo, and the like). Thanks, S2000!

I was lucky enough to work Philadelphia street for almost 15 years, as my sole source of income. (And, at the risk of bragging, I made a good income! Bought a house, cars, put my stepkids through college, etc.) In all that time, I saw a lot of other buskers work while passing through town. Some of my favorites not (yet) mentioned here:

- Will Soto, from Key West. Talk about a guy who invented a character, and lived it. I saw this guy gather and stun a crowd of 250 (yeah, I counted) with nothing more than a Needle-thru-Balloon and a poem he recited to himself. After the show, everyone dropped (paper) money into the hat; in my mind, there is no bettr measure of greatness.

- Fred Anderson, formerly of the Flying Mizmos out of SF. Hysterical, seemingly impromptu every show, maximum return on minimal investment. Any magician watching got a lesson in crowd management in every show. (I still delight in telling about his routine with a mylar tie wrapped around his forehead, and the ritual killing of a balloon doggie. Priceless!)

- Chris Capehart (another Philadelphian!). Simply The Best Linking Rings There Is. Period. (Plus, having a bunny who sports an Afro can't be bad!)

And, hey, these are just some magicians I've seen out there; there's "magic" in so many other art forms as well! I've seen puppeteers who can make an audience cry on command (yeah, Duke, I'm talking about you!), a "glass harp" player that produced the coolest music you've ever heard, and on, and on...

There are those in this thread who've said they've never seen a busker live ("I've only seen [insert famous name here] on TV/DVD/etc"). As I read those posts, I thought, "Shame on them! They're missing the juiciest parts!" Folks, do yourself a favor; put down the Book/DVD/TrickOf The Month right now, get your butt out of the magic shop or out of your basement, find some city streets where this stuff is really happening, and WATCH. If you keep your eyes open, you'll get a priceless education, and it'll only cost you a couple of bucks after the show. Money/effort well spent!

OK, I'm done. (For now, anyway!) Thanks for listening!

You are right about Will Soto, he hangs out now mostly at Key West, he is a master!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2004, Shadowzen wrote:
David Blaine is the undisputed king of street magic, like it or not. Here in the US, success is measured in dollars and press, and it would be impossible to name a street magician who has done as well there.

Brad Christian is beginning to make inroads, but he is really only known to magicians right now.

The real reason so many people don't like Blaine is that they are jealous. They think, "Hey, I can do those simple tricks, he isn't that good, why don't I have a million dollars and a TV special?". But remember, magic is in the eyes of the spectators, not the hands of the magicians, so it is irrelevant what forms of trickery he uses.

Not doing proper magic? It's all trickery, whether accomplished with a camera & stooge or 17 years of practicing in front of a mirror. Of course, guys with 17 years of practice in front of a mirror and study of arcane texts must feel pretty stupid when they look at Blaine's fame and fortune.

In that case, the people at Industrial Light and Magic are the greatest magicians in the world!

If you can't see the effect until you watch the special, the person isn't a magician, they're a special effects artist.

Am I "jealous" of Blaine, no, he got where he is through hard work and hustle. But walking up to people with a film crew is NOT what is considered "street magic" by the majority of magicians, street and otherwise. Gathering a crowd and thrilling that crowd with magic until they feel compelled to give you money to thank you for the entertainment, THAT'S street magic. Let Blaine do THAT with a hidden camera crew and see how well he does.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
331 Posts

Profile of TomB
I think David Blaine called himself a street magician. All he did was normal tricks in front of normal people and celebrities and he recorded until he got the reactions he wanted. He put them on TV to brainwash the mass he was good. I think mannerisms matter in magic, and for some reason I don't like his. He has brought some old magic routines back like swallowing frogs and he gets credit for that, or poking a needle in his body to build up scar tissue. He is dedicated to his art.

C. Angel at the same time was also buying TV shows on A and E and trying to come up with new tricks to keep his show alive. Most in the magic world knows he uses stooges and films for hours to get the reaction he wants. It's great TV magic, but it's all Hollywood stunts. He has had more shows on TV than any other magician.

At the same time of Blaine and Angel, there was a fantastic magician also on TV named Cyril Takayama. It was clear to me that Angel was copying Cyril. Like the 2 people before, he also would film for the reactions. I always thought he was a great entertainer, even if I don't understand Japanese.

I never thought of Lance Burton as a street performer. I picture him doing stage magic. Lance is one of my favorites and would love to see some videos of him performing street magic.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Old thread, but I am still a bit puzzled... So many experienced magicians, who perfectly know things like, say... Darwin Ortiz’s Strong Magic.
Well, Blaine is a master of strong magic. Honnestly, don’t get why there is so much controversy about him.