The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Street Magic :: Favorite Street Magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Rich Cowley.

(Look around here; you might find him.)

Gregory (not Greg) Wilson is tops, also.
mrlavaboy
View Profile
New user
Indpls
94 Posts

Profile of mrlavaboy
Can I get a shout out for Gazzo???

andy
Jeroen van Gorp
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
4 Posts

Profile of Jeroen van Gorp
David Blaine brings old magic to people who are not prepared for it. They are not sitting in a room and waiting for a magician to perform. They are not expecting anything and are very surprised when he starts. I think you can call that street magic.

Blaine brought the magic back, I think. I got started because of him a few months ago. But I´ve seen some other great magicians on video like Gregory Wilson, Jay Hankey, Cellini and Andrew Mayne. They even perform tricks that blow off Blaine.

I think that if you have an ´on the spot´-audience, you can call yourself a Street Magician. I know that I try out my routine downtown and I get the greatest response.
:bikes: Smile Smile

By the way, I only use 1 trick performed by Blaine.... Smile Smile
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
Greatest street performer is David Blaine. As in, he has performed on the streets, even if it's just for TV.
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

"If the world didnt suck we'd all fall off"
Cole
View Profile
New user
Calgary
63 Posts

Profile of Cole
Cellini and Chappy Brazil are my two picks!
Sean Irvine
View Profile
New user
N.Ire UK/Ireland
55 Posts

Profile of Sean Irvine
Do these people perform on TV? Cuz if they do, it doesn't get aired in the U.K.. The more that does, the better. Blaines the only non-masked-magician that works as a street perform on U.K. T.V.. We need more!
--------------
Sean Irvine
([8^v>

"If the world didnt suck we'd all fall off"
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
Sheets..Bob Sheets.
-Plato986 (that's me)
Jeroen van Gorp
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
4 Posts

Profile of Jeroen van Gorp
Smile

Here in the Netherlands, we also get no magic on T.V., unless you count Hans Kazan but I don´t...

I found the programs Street Magic and Vertigo from David Blaine through Kazaa. You can download the whole series or some tricks. Nice to see but he´s not the only one. But I never see the others on T.V. nor on the net, so...

:spinningcoin: Smile
mastermagician91
View Profile
New user
USA-CT
39 Posts

Profile of mastermagician91
Sorry, but since when was David Blaine and Chris Angel NOT been considered street magicians. I mean, most of their episodes are titled:
David Blaine Street Magic, or Criss Angel Street Magic. Someone who PERFORMS street magic is considered a STREET MAGICIAN.. (I think.. lol) I'M CONFUSSED! Smile
"Magic is not always magic...but the impossible is always possible" - Ricky Booska
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Exactly, and Blaine nor Angel perform street magic so they are not street magicians. It's not an insult to them (I'm not a street magician either), but merely a correction of an unfortunate misunderstanding.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Phred
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Phred
Gazzo!
There is a large Buskerfest here every year.I have seen every magician that has performed there for the last 15 years and Gazzo is, by far, the best.
Alexander the Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Alexander the Magician
Cellini is of course one of the greats.

What is the hatred of Blaine about? He did do magic before he got his specials...

How is the misconception of magic outside being street magic a negative thing, what negative has David Blaine brought to the art? Really, negative?

Anyone who is out there doing it, and doing it well, building up respect for the art, and making enough to eat is my personal hero.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
What is the hatred of Blaine about? He did do magic before he got his specials...

No one is disputing that.

Quote:
How is the misconception of magic outside being street magic a negative thing, what negative has David Blaine brought to the art? Really, negative?

Because it lowers the standard of real street magic. Now anyone who does a card trick for someone on the sidewalk thinks they're a street magician, which detracts from the real street magicians. I certainly wouldn't call that a positive thing.

Quote:
Anyone who is out there doing it, and doing it well, building up respect for the art, and making enough to eat is my personal hero.

Agreed.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
truellusionist
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA
36 Posts

Profile of truellusionist
Gregory Wilson is my favorite. Anytime I see him perform it motivates like no other. I admire his humor and charm. Smile
Bone
View Profile
Loyal user
Totally lost...
264 Posts

Profile of Bone
Quote:
On 2003-07-04 03:09, truellusionist wrote:
Gregory Wilson is my favorite. Anytime I see him perform it motivates like no other. I admire his humor and charm. Smile

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

HELP !!!

Anyone has Greg Wilson's Email ?
It semms that he doesn't have a website.

Peace,

Bone.
Email: bone@boneho.com

myspace.com/boneho
youtube.com/boneho
twitter.com/boneho
facebook.com/boneho

Official Website:
www.boneho.com
Alexander the Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Because it lowers the standard of real street magic. Now anyone who does a card trick for someone on the sidewalk thinks they're a street magician, which detracts from the real street magicians. I certainly wouldn't call that a positive thing.

What's in a name? I don't see any real harm. Anyone who knows what they are talking about knows someone like Cellini is in a totally different class than Blaine, but then, I do strolling magic at parties and that is different than someone on the sidewalk.

I guess I just want to know what to call it.. sidewalk strolling? Smile
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
Everyone seems to be talking about only one type of street magic (strolling magic in the "streets"). I have never seen a magician in the style of David Blaine or Gregory Wilson out on the street. What I have seen countless times are magicians in closed off streets and high-volume tourist areas setting up a stand-up like show in a street environment. They gather a crowd, and perform a complete 15-20 minute show surrounded in a circle by spectators. These magicians usually gather quite large crowds. I believe that this is the form that we call "Street Magic."

Strolling magic in the streets is only marginally different from strolling magic in another venue (such as a block party, etc.). However, this type of street magic is very different from regular stand-up magic (in which you are given a time slot, are being paid (usually), and are in front of an audience on a stage, raised platform, or other designated area). It requires a special talent to gather a large crowd, keep their attention for 20 minutes while performing a stand-up act SURROUNDED, and impressing the audience enough so that they tip you.

-Roy Holiday
Alexander the Magician
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Aside from payment method, how is that different than say, me working a banquet hall in one spot at a table? I've done things like that indoors, for a flat fee... There is a large difference (to me) between walking around a party doing magic for patrons who (hopefully) know you are there, and getting paid by the host of that party to be there for a certain period of time; and walking around on the street working for tips from absolute strangers who have no idea who you are or what you are doing. The style is certainly different as well, you won't walk around on the street in a tux... I would hope.

I think there are many very different types of ways to perform magic, and many different combinations (a busker might get paid by a company to push a product with his magic making it similar to a trade show set, but on the street. I've doing community gatherings outdoors and done 'strolling sidewalk' magic for one of the restaurants I work at, strolling while trying to bring people to our place... the list goes on.

Unless someone comes up with a systematic combinable way of describing these things, I don't think anyone or the art itself is suffering from me calling David Blaine a street magician. It's what people know him as, it's the vocabulary term the culture uses. David Blaine strolls, this is the form the culture calls "Street Magic"

David Blaine is a street magician. Jim Cellini is a street magician. Jim Cellini is a thousand times better than David Blaine.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
[quote]On 2003-07-03 03:51, marko wrote:
Quote:

Then the question arises, what does actually constitute "street magic"? Smile

Quote:
On 2003-06-08 03:13, iamslow wrote:
Jeff Sheridan is my pick.. he's the original old school New York bad %$# street magician! Smile

Yeah, saw him years ago in Central Park! Man was he good! Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Lance Burton, David Blaine, ME .Those are my picks
Life is an illusion, death is reality.