The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Routining School Shows, Kids, Shows, and Illusion Shows (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
rjones683
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of rjones683
The phone gag would be really funny if you said something prior to it going off. Kind of like make sure you have your cell phones set to vibrate as to not interrupt the show. Say it a few times prior to the phone going off. I think it would be really funny each time it goes off.
Thoughts?
R
rjones683
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of rjones683
Quote:

One of my favorite routines is to have the kids pluck "invisible" candy from the air, and one at a time "throw" the candy to me which I catch in a paper bag, and then show the candy has appeared in the bag. On the third throw I fail to catch the candy and when I turn to look for where the candy went, the kids see a piece of candy which I prevously taped to my back. Of course they are all shouting, laughing, etc. about the candy on my back. I use this misdirection to switch the paper bag with a paper bag full of candy from my suitcase table. After I finally notice the candy on my back I have all of the kids throw their candy all at once and I make a show of catching it all. Then when I pour the bag full of candy in a clear bowl, everybody is surprised by the appearance, even the adults. And you also have something to give out at the end of the show.

I do something similar where I switch a witch's cauldron. I have the child helper place funny balloon halloween items in it (eye, spider, etc). I keep going to the table to get the halloween items so the movement is normal. The child holds a witch broom as the magic wand. The last time I come back, the item will not fit, or I say that would be too much so I leave out the item. Of course that was when the switch was made to a cauldron containing candy.
Regards,
R
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
Howie Diddot, I agree with you

>> I am new at performing, I don’t understand the time confinement; if I am performing in a children’s show and the
>> children are interested and excited about my performance, what does it matter if I am slow to end?

What does it matter, School shows, ok your the last thing at the school for the day, school lets out at 3:00, it is now 2:50. When they bell rings your done..... Smile

Did a picnic the other day, I was scheduled to be right before food was served at 4:00, I needed to be done when the caterer was ready to server.

If there is an act following you, then you need to be in your time window, so not to take from there time.

It is important to be able to fit your show into a time window, otherwise you limit yourself to being the back yard birthday performer were it does not matter

Take Care,
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2007-03-29 08:23, Dennis Michael wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-05-17 09:35, Police Magician wrote:
Den, I also have to congratulate you on some fine points for these type shows. A friend of mine wrote a book on those doing magic for daycares. Tom Boleware of Pine Belt Forum put it out earlier this year.

Since he owns a daycare, and is a magician, he has put some info that is much needed to know the trials and tribulations of doing shows at daycare. You can email Tom at TomBoleware@aol.com for further info on the book.

Glenn Hester

I didn't realized that I did not commet on this post.

Absolutely one of the best books on Daycare Magic is from af Daycare Director and Magician, Tom Boleware. It is a must read book if this is the field you want to get into. It is a good area, fun area, great audience, and can lead to more birthday parties as well as elementary school shows.

For more information on this book go to Tom's Forum and read about it and how to purchase it: Tom Boleware's Pine Belt Magic Forum

Does any one have an updated link for this book on Daycare Magic?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Tom is on the Magic Café. (TomBoleware)
Dennis Michael
amart
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of amart
I'm glad I found this post! Thanks Michael for this.
Now, I am excited to create my own act!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2011-11-27 05:18, Dennis Michael wrote:
Tom is on the Magic Café. (TomBoleware)

Thanks.

Tom's website for this is http://www.tomboleware.com/daycaremagician.html
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Great info here. I think the study of public speaking will enhance any performer's performance 10 fold. It does not matter who you are entertaining.

My nickel, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good day.

Decomposing with Santa Portrait
mikedobias
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mikedobias
Great post started many years ago, but absolutely very relevant, and should be required reading for any magic performer, especially children's performers.

I wanted to re-emphasize to anyone reading Dennis' original post that putting together a 30 or 45 minute show doea not mean it has to be packed full of trick after trick after trick, but rather, as he points out so well, fun routines that tie everything together and get the kids laughing again and again. I do a routine with a rising wand (adapted from Terry Herberts Silver Sceptre) that lasta about 5 minutes (with only a little bit of magic. Same thing with Creative Magic's Bigger Wands--whatever magic effect you tie them to may be very quick, but the overall routine with all the bits of business can go on for 5 minutes or more and have the kids laughing and involved throughout.

It doesn't take very many of these routines to fill a show, but your show will be full of laughter, the most important thing for kids shows.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Slap Stick humor still works today, however more and more schools are requiring educational material.
Dennis Michael
paulmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia, now In New Zealand
290 Posts

Profile of paulmagic
Thanks for this old post but superbly practical and helpful!
Many Blessings!!

Paul
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Paul Osborne Does it again with his new Kidtrix book (Props and Presentations for the childrens's performer. Kidtrix

Here is a book for every kid performer. And yes, for family entertainers as well. It is full of easy to make items and how to use items that are sitting on your shelf.

• Wristnosis: A script for your Disecto with tips
  • Giant Crayon: A modern design for Break-away Wand
  • My Pet Frog: A modern version of Hippy-Hop-Rarbits (Real Nice)
  • Ear Cleaning Machine: Head Vanish Illusion
  • Insurance: Script and new routine for the Comedy Insurance Trick
  • Magic Tables: Build your own Magic Tables. (Worth the price of the book)
  • Statospheres: Nice Script
  • Poor Man's Snake Basket: Make your own Snake Basket, with routine
  • Slingshot: How to use your Expensive Jumbo SideKick without a gun.
  • Snowmanship: Rabbit Production you can make
  • Brainscan: A Slate Trick routine
  • Skunk Hunt: A nice Production Routine you can build
  • Kid's Kup: A new approach to the chop cup
  • Cheapo Chop Cup: Cheap way to do the chop cup.
  • Mr. Lincoln's Hat: A nice educational illusion
  • Jaws! Boy you can have fun with this one. Add in Jaws Music! An Easy to Make Hand Chopper
  • Catch Up with Ketchup: Rubber Bottle trick
  • Proof Tacos: Flash Production Trick
  • Tube of Destiny: Tube with Pom-Poms
  • Train House: A nice Story telling Routine
  • Balloon Sawing: Nice Illusion with a Balloon
  • Top Ten: Tips for Performers
  • Conclusion

This belong on your shelf if you are a Kid Magician... Wait a minute. If you like Osborne Stuff then this is a must have!
Dennis Michael
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Some great stuff in here!

I'm currently on a 45 state national stour with my original school show. We have already performed in 55 schools in 7 states in the past 6 weeks.

I can tell you first hand that schools today want more out of their school assemblies. I have been in this school market for about 10 years and backup in the day you could get away with a 40 minute show with 5 minutes of it being educational. Today they want more substance. More meaning. More education

As I have mentioned else my where on the Café you must become an expert in the subject you wish to present.
Your show should be a blend of magic comedy and education. Not every trick should come with a message at the same time not every trick should just be a trick

You need to weave ur message thru the show. I suggest narrowing it down to 3 points that you can drive home and end the show with something that ties it all together

Some tips if not suggested already
Have a tech rider
Include length of show and all the things you need the school to supply but don't ask for to much
Example we ask for 3 folding chairs, 1 music stand. One long table , and an extension cord If out let's are more then 10' from my performance area
And that the center post be removed. We ask that all this be done prior to our arrival

You must also be prepared that some schools will not be ready for u. Some will never read it some won't realize the importance of having it done before you arrive.
Some schools will ask you to start early others want you to end early. It's ur job to present the best show in what ever time frame you have. There have been shows where we needed to cut routines.

It's also very important that you make sure you get the kids to know their role in the show. Meaning talk to them explain a little bit of what ur going to do.
I also recommend starting with something strong and flashy to help establish ur the magician.

Remember in some schools you will have k-5 while in others you will have all the way to 12th grade. Be prepared to adjust ur show as some things won't work with older kids.
Also some schools might be out numbered within more 4th & 5th graders then all of the 1-3 combined. Again ur gonna need to adjust ur show

Well it's late here in Cali and need some rest before my shows tomorrow here in Los altos california.

Hope this info helps those that take the time to read it

Magically urs
Sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
There is a video out by the most prolific school performer of all time that would be of great help to many of you.Believe it or not JB Bobo the writer of New Modern Coin Magic was a school performer that I happened to see and become acquainted with in the 1970's.Bobo says in the video he has done 15000 school shows in his career.He gives advice about everything associated with school magic in his video.The DVD is the Greater Magic Video Library.Volume 23 Bobo.It even has one of his school shows included.
BTW Bobo said he made as much as corporate e executive doing school shows.Great DVD that brought memories of my childhood.

Frank
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Dallas! --a long time since we've corresponded!

I miss J.B.! We first met in 1951. I was in the Navy, and he did a lecture in Norfolk, VA where I was stationed. We were friends, since then. I was touring Texas, Louisiana for National School Assemblies in the early '90s, and got close enough to spend a Saturday with him. A delightful visit! We both estimated that we each had done about 20,000 school shows at that time!

Unfortunately, the "school show" that was taped for Greater Magic Vol 23, was apparently in a TV studio. I believe that the kids were "brought in" to see the show.J.B. did a fine job, but, the studio audience, being in a "strange environment", were a bit subdued in their response.

Last summer, I finally finished My book on SCHOOL SHOWS, and, I've been busy attending some conventions to "book sign". Jon Racherbaumer "kvetched" me into writing a "history" of the LYCEUM field (school assemblies). I wrote an "auto biography", mentioning most of the school assembly magicians that I met and knew, and described their programs. Plus, all the magicians that I met along the way! I told a gezillion anecdotes of things that happened on the road, in schools.

Also, I wrote up most of the routines that I had developed for touring schools with every conceivable "assortment" of age groups from Kindergarten thru Senior High.

"Landmark" wrote a review of the book. Check Landmark's last 25 posts to read it. The title: "DICK OSLUND, ROAD SCHOLAR".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Dick

i will have to look into this book of yours. I have enjoyed traveling america with my school show and have enjoyed the comments you have made on the Café.

i hope one day I have a book to put out with my fun stories and routines to share.

school assemblies have been such a fun thing for me all these years.

have a very happy holiday and happy new year!!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
higherstudy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of higherstudy
I agree with flourish dude about the book except if you put everything in a book it would require us to spend money on it. Since you post it here in the Café then we can all get it for free. Thanks for the free info.

Very good and helpful information.