The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Sponge Balls.. Why do they cost $35 bucks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
DGillam
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of DGillam
The Tenyo sponge balls are more automatic and don't require as much sleight of hand.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BULL!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2009-05-25 23:13, DGillam wrote:
The Tenyo sponge balls are more automatic and don't require as much sleight of hand.

Are you kidding? I see you are a new user for with only 25 posts.. So I am not sure you know what you are talking about.

Please explain yourself?
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:

Not true!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Regarding the Super Softs.......

There is a move I do that requires the supersofts...it's an "Instant Appearance at the fingertips" which I got from either John Carney or Michael Ammar.....I honestly can't remember which one......

Perhaps one of you Café Members would know...the move is published in one of their books........

Bottom line is.......one needs the supersofts to do this....and its truly a beautiful, magical move!
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Rainboguy -- That's a move by John Carney, taught on the first DVD (winter) in his Master Sessions series. For info, go to http://hahnemagic.com

The sponge ball routine he teaches, called Current Classic, is economical, amazing, and amusing.

Cheers,
Jerry
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
That's it jerdunn.....thank you.

Do you do this move? I do. And it DESTROYS civilans!!!!
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
One thing to keep in mind is that if you produce 2 balls in the spectator's hand it pays to use the other hand if you produce 3. It doesn't happen all of the time, but I've had a few folks who notice the difference in the feelings in their hands. with the different number of balls.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!! I hope you didn't type that with a straight face.
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2009-05-26 01:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
BULL!

AHHHHHH HA HA HA HA I LOVE when posts like that come from Bill! simple and made my day!
-DJ
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-05-28 16:30, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:

ROTFLMAO!!! I hope you didn't type that with a straight face.

I think he used his fingers. I couldn't be sure, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Well, if his face were straight it would certainly have been easier. Unless by straight you meant flat, and that... well that'd be odd.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I've been looking for a sponge ball routine that didn't require those pesky sleights. This sounds like just the ticket!!!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
jjduck
View Profile
New user
Chesterfield, Virginia
78 Posts

Profile of jjduck
I'm ordering mine tomorrow.... or maybe the day after.Smile
Joe
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 14:45, Eddie Torres wrote:
Well, if his face were straight it would certainly have been easier. Unless by straight you meant flat, and that... well that'd be odd.

I've seen odder things than that.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You need supersofts to do my routine for the finale--otherwise, regular ones work just fine.

The Tenyos really ARE much higher quality--but I'd never pay that price for them. 8 or 9 bucks maybe, but not 25-35. Not unless I was Bill Gates! (Or at least Bill Malone!)
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I'm looking at this entirely from a worker's point of view, but there are some props that I consider somewhat consumable, with an expected lifespan. Murphy's Law would tell me that if I bought a $35. set of sponge balls, when a $5. set would have done the same trick, some 5 year old kid would be the first to snatch them up with hands pre-greased with BBQ sauce and cheese fries.

I just hate all that extra sleight of hand. But, whatcha gonna do?? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-06-04 23:31, Michael Baker wrote:
I'm looking at this entirely from a worker's point of view, but there are some props that I consider somewhat consumable, with an expected lifespan. Murphy's Law would tell me that if I bought a $35. set of sponge balls, when a $5. set would have done the same trick, some 5 year old kid would be the first to snatch them up with hands pre-greased with BBQ sauce and cheese fries.

I just hate all that extra sleight of hand. But, whatcha gonna do?? Smile

Heh! The CGI sponge Balls are really the way to go if you have the means.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Quote:
I agree with Scott. They are much higher quality and easier to work with. I have uses them for years. You get what you pay for!
On 2009-05-21 21:54, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
It's a combination of factors:

1. They are MUCH higher quality; more compressible, brighter, deeper colors, longer life
2. Manufactured in Japan (dollar exchange rate is weak right now)
3. Shipping from Japan

I have a couple that I've had for about 15 years and they still look almost brand new--of course, I rarely use them. They are expensive, but they're REALLY nice!
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
"I have a couple that I've had for about 15 years and they still look almost brand new--of course, I rarely use them. They are expensive, but they're REALLY nice! "

Just for the record the Goshman balls will last 15 years and stay Really nice if you rarely use them.

Gil Scott