The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Sponge Balls.. Why do they cost $35 bucks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Anyone know why a set of Tenyo Sponge Balls cost $35?? Anyone own them?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I have no idea but at that price they'd better do the work as well!
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
They sell the Tenyo Super Softs on Ebay for $23 but taht still seems high!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
A bulk bag of 50 Goshman Sponge Balls is about 25 bucks!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
It's a combination of factors:

1. They are MUCH higher quality; more compressible, brighter, deeper colors, longer life
2. Manufactured in Japan (dollar exchange rate is weak right now)
3. Shipping from Japan

I have a couple that I've had for about 15 years and they still look almost brand new--of course, I rarely use them. They are expensive, but they're REALLY nice!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
They are much nicer, but hardly worth the price...

One thing I've noticed about them that I've never noticed with Goshman's is that the darker balls dye (the blue and red ones anyhow) has a slight tendency to bleed...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I'd stick with Goshman sponges. I have some super soft ones that have lasted almost 20 years and still look great. Just avoid bringing them in contact with objects that could snag or wear away at them. I always store them in smooth containers and wash them regularly in cold water.

When I hear about someone's sponges wearing out, it's often because they have their keys or coins in the same pocket.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Alan, I agree with you completely. Goshman super softs are the way to go. I always store mine in plastic bags, and soak them in cold water, then squeeze them out prior to performing. They also compress beautifully!

Mine seem to last forever.

I'm sorry....but $35? $25? For sponge balls? C'mon! I don't think so!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Spongeball is a spongeball. All it has to do is squish.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
People who use genuine Jerry's Nugget cards are the kind who should use the Tenyo sponges.

So, why do they cost $35.00? Because someone will pay that for them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Related question... about Goshman.

Do you have to specify supersoft for Goshman Sponge balls or are they supersoft as a standard?

Thanks,

RevJohn
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
They sell both kinds, so I assume you would need to specify. Supersofts aren't always what you need for some routines. Sometimes a little stiffness and shape-holding ability is preferable.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2897 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Frank Garcia once told me if you get the regular sponge, you can pinch it and pull and it rips the center of the sponge. This does make it much softer, but not
as good as buying soft from the start.

Tom
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
As Dave the Fifth pointed out, soft is not always good.

Personally, I have never seen a need for supersoft sponge balls.

I would agree, however, that Nerf balls are a bit too stiff for most magical uses.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Dave the Fifth, that's great, heh. I too don't think that super softs are necessary unless you're loading a large amount of sponges. I use ten 2 inch and if someone hasn't held them in their hand before they often think they're only holding two balls. I don't think I could get away with that using regular sponge balls.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
If you're going to make many balls appear from someone's hand, use the super softs. That's why I use them. If you need super softs, it's best to specify what you need. Most dealers won't ask you and will grab whatever is closest to their hand.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks. I primarily ask, because a while ago I got a "lot" which was specified to be Goshman. There were differences in the "softness" of the sponges, so I was wondering if it was mixed, Goshman and some not.

My guess is that it was mixed with some supersoft, and some regulars.

Appreciate the information.

RevJohn
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I typically use supersoft. Regular balls spring open like little rockets. If you do them in a restaurant, in a spekkie's hand, even with careful verbage, you'll find yourself fishing them out of salad dressing, drinks, and all over the floor.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3530 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-05-22 14:03, Bill Palmer wrote:
People who use genuine Jerry's Nugget cards are the kind who should use the Tenyo sponges.

So, why do they cost $35.00? Because someone will pay that for them.

...speaking of which there are Nugget's for auction on "The Site That Will Remain Unnamed" going for 150$ and 102$. each of which with multiple bids and a few days left!

P.T. Barnum is smiling, somewhere...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Quote:
On 2009-05-24 16:32, Michael Baker wrote:
I typically use supersoft. Regular balls spring open like little rockets. If you do them in a restaurant, in a spekkie's hand, even with careful verbage, you'll find yourself fishing them out of salad dressing, drinks, and all over the floor.

Michael,
Thanks for the tip about the Supers not springing out of spectator's hands. I use 2" w/kids. I always emphasize "sloowly open your hond's, slowly". Usually it works. I think for my next table hopping/strolling gig I will try the supers. I will want to play with them first, of course. Just to make sure the feel does not throw me off. Smile

P.S. I usually have xtra balls in my case in case one gets too far afield or too "icky".
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com