The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Snappers (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1387 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Anyone here own a snapper? My favorite is a snapper I got from a magic set called "Magic by Mr. Creepy" The snapper was shaped like a severed finger. Smile
Night_Crawler
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Night_Crawler
I have a wood snapper that is quite nice.

Night_Crawler
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Geoff, I had that magic set too. I think I was about 11 or 12 at the time. I remember I couldn't figure out why that snapper thing was suppose to be magical. Do you remember the two strings through severed head penetration from that same set? Know that I got a lot of use out of it back in the day.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
I had a plastic snapper but it broke and I am yet to buy another one.
Maybe next time I will get one made out of something stronger! Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
I didn't know there were different kinds of snappers. (Besides wood and plastic.) That might be a cool thing to collect.
Night_Crawler
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Night_Crawler
Geoff, I have that magic set also Smile I totally forgot that I had it but when marko mentioned the string through the severed hand I totally remembered Smile

Night_Crawler
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Take a look at http://geniimagazine.com/magicana/sankey.html

I tried this one for a while, and came up with something that was ungimmicked and easier (for me). Don't bother glueing a cap on the other end of the pen. Instead, use a cap of a different colour, a red cap on a blue pen, say.

"An interesting fact about Bic pens. The pens and caps are magnetic. A blue cap on a blue pen is ok, and a red cap on a red pen is ok. But put a blue cap on a red pen, and the pen repels the cap. Put a red cap on a blue pen, and the pen attracts the cap."

Then do the effect.

I have fun with that one, and while some people suss it immediately, others are baffled.

As it says in the instructions, you'll need to ensure that your finger tips are wet.

(I give the link to Jay Sankey's Mightier than the Sword because his descriptions and pictures make it far easier to describe "my" effect. I'm not trying to suggest that my effect is superior to his. It's merely a variant that I happen to prefer.)
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
B-MAN
View Profile
New user
Luxembourg
72 Posts

Profile of B-MAN
Saw a snapper at http://www.magicsmith.com called snapper 2000. In the add says made from aluminum and uses a totally different principal. I never got one but sounds nice.

Hope this is helpful.
" No matter what you accomplish in this life.... the size of your funeral will be determinded by the weather " Gizzard

G.B.T.S.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I love the snapper because of it's illusion principle. I have a great time with it.

I bought the aluminum one and don't like it at all. It doesn't play like the snapper.
Dennis Michael
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
I prefer the bic pen approach. 30+ years ago, a big kid (A Third Grader, even!) showed me how "spitting in a pen cap" made the cap magnetic. I didn't realize it was a trick - I really thought the laws of physics were that capricious. I drove my parents crazy spitting in pens trying to duplicate the magnetic plastic principle. Today, I show the trick to kids hoping to ignite that same chaotic confusion that kept me going for so long...
Mike M
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Mike M
Chazpro makes a nice brass snapper that has a fooler for magicians at the end. They are on the specials page for cheap now. Recommended.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I was doing some table magic once and needed a moment to get things our of my bag. I pulled out the snapper showed it and then left it on the table while I went to my bag. It was a couple minutes before I was able to get them to put it down and get back to the "real" magic.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
The snapper was the only trick from my childhood magic set that fooled my girlfriend when I recently ran through it for her (that might speak more to my performing ability than I care to contemplate). Great fun to watch her try to hook the band back to the top.
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
170 Posts

Profile of DonB!
And even Ed Marlo has a contribution to the snapper, in his book, ARCADE DREAMS. It also appeared in Genii quite a few years ago. It had a little touch that even fools magicians at the end: Instead of the "head" shooting into the "body", the body actually snaps up to the "head". I've done it for a few magi that could not figure the simple workings of it. Smile

DonB!
hawkbird
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of hawkbird
I use a plastic snapper it seems to set better for me than the pen. My friend makes them for $3 each. The reason the pen is obvious is because everyone knows the bevel shape of the cap. The focus on the snapper however is linking it to the rubber band The mind (some have brains!) is not on the cap of the snapper. You have to really improvise on the rubber band. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2003-07-25 13:17, Mike M wrote:
Chazpro makes a nice brass snapper that has a fooler for magicians at the end. They are on the specials page for cheap now. Recommended.

It even fooled me.
Brian D
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Brian D
I have the aluminum snapper. It works on a different principle and is meant to be a magician fooler I believe.
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
I had completely forgotten about snappers. We made one out of wood as an assigned project in shop back in Jr. High. (Don't ask when that was.)

Deerbourne
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
I like to give snappers away to good friends and clients. Anyone know of an inexpensive quantity source for them?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
I remember reading a wonderful article on Ricky Jay's collection of rare and unusual snappers. Now, unfortunately, this was in MAJOKE magazine, but it was still a fun read! Smile