The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Wallet Wallop (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
danchanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
22 Posts

Profile of danchanmagic
Does anybody know what type of wallet Keith is using in this routine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaf6fYm0m......0147052C
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The wallets used in that routine (two are used) are standard, un-gimmicked, ID wallets. That was the easiest routine he did (technically) and he sold it well. It is an old bluff pickpocket routine. A signed card, a DL, two identical wallets, and a ton of showmanship are all that is needed. He apparently reads a lot of old books as that is a very old routine.

Back to the OP. The Hen Fetch Wallet Wallop is a sweet routine and a nice prop. Mine dates back to the mid 60s. It was a fooler then and I believe a fooler now.

In terms of the card signed or not signed debate, it is horses for courses. A well structured routine can get by with an unsigned card and garner strong reactions. I like being able to use a signed card for any number of reasons. It personalizes the trick/routine and it gives a powerful climax to a Card to impossible location. I tend to tie an ambitious card and card to wallet (or Mystery Box or card box or...) At one point in the ambitious card routine I have it signed giving all kinds of hokey reasons. I have a number of folks sign it. It just adds to the routine AS I PLAY IT.

However I have done any number of card to wallet routines wherein the card is not signed and gotten as strong a response.

The WW is not for everyone (thank goodness) but can be a powerful routine in the right hands. I need to dig my old one out and dust it off.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jan 6, 2013, Harry Murphy wrote:
The wallets used in that routine (two are used) are standard, un-gimmicked, ID wallets.

Obviously there are two wallets. But I think one is gimmicked. At 2.25 Paul Grady (the host) closes the wallet (with card inside), and puts it into his own pocket. There is quite a loud snap when he does this.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have owned this, and the wallets are indeed ungimmicked. Paul just closes it pretty sharply, resulting in the slapping sound.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks Chessmann.
Well, I am baffled then! When Paul opens it up a moment later, it is apparently empty. (I am assuming Paul G is not a stooge).
If you have owned this, presumably it is a commercially available routine. What's it called?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4248 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ah, I think I must backtrack a bit! I was assuming the man in the video was using the Wallet Wallop wallet(s) due to the context of this topic - however, on closer inspection the wallet he is using has metal corners, which I have never seen in a Wallet Wallop package...I don't have a comprehensive knowledge of WW's manufacturing history, haha, but at the price I've always seen WW's offered, the wallet in the video isn't one.

I thought when Harry Murphy referred to "The wallets used in that routine (two are used) are standard, un-gimmicked, ID wallets" he was referring to WW wallets being used in the video, but I am incorrect - though WW wallets are indeed 'standard, un-gimmicked, ID wallets'.

Having said that, Harry's knowledge of the routine shown in the video, plus his knowledge of wallets (read his essay on Wallets! Wallets! Wallets! here at the Café!) would certainly have me leaning in his direction!

Sorry for the error Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Ah! Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, the video of Keith was going off on a tangent from the original discussion of WW.
hypnoman1
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of hypnoman1
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2013, danchanmagic wrote:
Does anybody know what type of wallet Keith is using in this routine? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaf6fYm0m......0147052C

I know this is an old thread and just stumbled on it. In my opinion, I think Mr. Himber and his twin would be proud.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice.
Joseph Dunninger
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are you suggesting….
finding a non himber twin to a small himber would rock
the routine. The untouched selection., and letting them deal throughbthe cards make WW a strong item.
...to all the coins I've dropped here