The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magical Accessories :: Wallet Wallop (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
steve_seguin
View Profile
New user
London, Ontario
70 Posts

Profile of steve_seguin
Hi,

I just read the add for Wallet Wallop in Elmwood Magic's "Disappearing Monthly". Can someone post a review here?

Thanks
joker808
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of joker808
Wallet Wallop is an extremely clever card to wallet effect by Hens Fetsch. The (packet trick) sized wallets you get with this effect are made of leather. The effect in my opinion is a fooler. You can also reference this effect in "Card to Wallet" the book by Jerry Mentzer.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
It works a bit like the padlocked deck, but with a repeat. If the wallet is nicely made I think I'll get this.
Redneck
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redneck
Wallet is nicely made. It has a little weight to it, feels like leather. It's a great trick.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It can't be signed ( the card ) so it's a waste of money.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Redneck
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Redneck
Quote:
On 2003-05-12 15:13, MagicChris wrote:

Huh?
Neither can a thousand other killer effects does that make them a waste? If you think your audience (unless they are all magicians)are really are concerned after a trick about "Hey! I never got to sign that card.", you are mistaken I think. I have never had someone sign their card in my Svengali routine, but yet EVERYTIME they think it is THEIR card popping up in strange places. No waste there, is there?
In Wallet Wallop you immediately repeat the card to wallet effect, this time they are REALLY watching you & the wallet which sits on the table during the trick. When they find their card in your inspectable wallet AGAIN, they are blown away, I know - I have performed it at least 30 times already!

Let's stop thinking like magicians - and just ENTERTAIN.

(but just for the record, you could have both cards signed - if your good enough)
joker808
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of joker808
I agree with redneck, the fact that the card cannot be signed does not detract from the impact this effect has on lay audiences.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The card needs to be signed otherwise laymen think there are duplicate cards. I like to have out signed cards to keep.

Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
MagicChris, whilst you have a valid point, you must remember that just because it isn't signed, doesn't make the routine any weaker.

You have to observe the actual routine! Take it like a monte-type game, would they want to sign the money card just so they know you have one?

Of course, signed card to wallets are THE BOMB, but I seriously wouldn't mind if I had to use a duplicate IF and only IF the routine that supported it was worth it, i.e. entertaining and impossible—and buyers seem to claim that it is...

Take care,
Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Good points Logan. I don't mind doing a found card routine that isn't signed, as long as I then have them sign the card and it appears in an impossible location. It leads them down the garden path and then I put the hose on them!

Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
MagicChris wrote:

I actually find that people think it's kind of weird to sign a card.

I don't even ask them to anymore.

Anyway, you could use a ploy by Jon Allen (I think it was Jon Allen) and sign the card yourself. Later they will remember it was a signed card only.

He used this on TV with his Glink pen for card in the chair. Awesome.

Cheers,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Having my signature doesn't prove I don't have a duplicate. I want their signature.

The way I do it, they don't think it's weird. I do an effect without it signed. Then tell them "I know what you're thinking, I have a duplicate of this card. Well, to prove I don't, please sign the face in big bold letters."

It makes perfect sense to them.

ChrisMagic52
View Profile
Loyal user
North Vancouver, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of ChrisMagic52
I'm really picky on tricks nowadays because I'm short on cash. From reading these comments of Wallet Wallop, I think I will have to pass on this one.
joker808
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of joker808
Quote:
Then tell them "I know what you're thinking, I have a duplicate of this card."

What if they weren't thinking about that at all? Answer, they are now.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Right on joker!

MagicChris I do a multiple selection routine with the cards ending up in three impossible locations. None of them are signed. It has always received great reactions. The reason is at the end I spread the deck face up on the table. If they are thinking "Hey, what about duplicates?" this proves them wrong and I don't have to SAY anything.

Having a card signed is weird to people, as James pointed out.

I do two to three card effects in my walk around set. I only have a card signed for one effect.

Just a little thought there,
Jason
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Does this trick require a force?
BigCityMagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of BigCityMagic
It does, but it can easily be changed to different cards. The force is pretty clver as well.
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Can the deck be examined? I don't want to have to gimmick the deck for me to perform this routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
In the effect the spectator deals all the cards in the deck while searching for their card. It takes away from the presentation but proves that the card is actually GONE! This was my 1st card in wallet effect I owned and loved the sneakyness behind the whole trick.

This made it fun to perform.
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
OK just a interesting story about this effect and those who do it will understand. The late Paul Gretxinger and I worked together at a small theme park in KY (Guntown Mt.) and when it was rainy and we had a small crowd we did closeup magic rather than the regular show. Paul was doing WW and had done the necessary work for the 2nd part when a spectator slapped his hand down on the wallet and said "I defy you to do that again." Which of course he did. now how great was that!

Gil Scott