The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: F/X :: Magic Backdrops - Ultimate Resource (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Great Heathini
View Profile
New user
Virginia
29 Posts

Profile of The Great Heathini
I watched the video for the Pop up star drop, Very impressive!
I am seriously considering buying one. It is kind of expensive, but less than I thought it would be.
The Brickwall is nice as well, but prefer the star drop for my taste.
Thanks for the link.
Brent.
trickychaz
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
549 Posts

Profile of trickychaz
I just built the tate backdrop. It's not as sturdy as I would like, and not sure it would hold up to road abuse. I was able to build everything for 80$. It will work for now, but would rathr buy a sturdy frame like abbotts jetset.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Charles -

A person could buy a photography backdrop frame (various sources, links in the original article), and then buy ready-made, flame-proof curtains (from online eeei, link in the original article), all for about $150-$300.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
scottsheltonmagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
59 Posts

Profile of scottsheltonmagic
Jeff Jones just came out with a new LED backdrop as well: http://www.magicbackdrops.com/
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I researched backdrops when I first decided I needed one for my act. Taking all the information into concentration including the recommendations received in the Magic Café, I decided on the Jeff Jones Magic Backdrop, after I received and used it I was so impressed I called Jeff and after a discussion, I signed up as his new West Coast Rep.

It really does set up in 30 seconds and when set up the layers make it looks like a stage
arandomname
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
3 Posts

Profile of arandomname
I rarely post on here but I just wanted to chime in with an endorsement for Jeff Jone's backdrops. Not only do they look great and set up fast but he was very responsive to an issue I had with mine and provided outstanding customer service. Well worth the investment.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Arandomname;

I see your in Los Angeles, next time you in San Francisco, give me a call, I can show you samples of material and can show you how easy it is to set up and tear down
mikedobias
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mikedobias
I've used a Jeff Jones backdrop for 4 years. He did one for me with some fabric that I provided. I often get a chuckle out of the oohs and ahhs from the kids when I set it up at a birthday party--no magic has happened yet, but they're impressed (as is the birthday Mom, as the backdrop looks very classy). I had to replace one nut/bolt that holds the support pole up after about 2 years, but it was easy to do. Jeff did a great job with the whole design.
HighClass
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of HighClass
Wow, what a grat resource of information on this forum!
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
615 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I have the first generation Jeff Jones backdrop with the curtain option and I love it. A simple two minute setup makes my show stand out from the others. After several years of constant use, it is time to get a replacement bar as I understand Jeff made some amazing improvements on his new folding bar support. Things I like about the system is great looks, easy setup, compact and lightweight. This travels easily on an airplane.

In most cases this cannot be used outdoors safely as there is only a single support pole. Also you need to protect this from little kids playing around your stage. On the frist day of use, a little toddler slipped past me while setting up the magic portion and pulled on the curtain breaking off the pole support. It was an easy fix though. I have the 15 foot model and it is a bit too big in many homes.

A far as customer support, Jeff is always there. A++ product.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.christophermanos.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use two tripods and a cross bar for mine. The backdrops I use are airbrushed. They make good publicity. You will notice some on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHEz2bqrp9Q
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7669 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Don't overlook regular trade show pop up frameworks. They are very similar to the "Spider" type frame work. You do not use the magnetic strip holder on them. You simply hook or pin your fabric on the frame. Like most backdrops, they are primarily designed for inside or no wind venues.

But if you look on ebay and such you can find the frameworks for $250 or less.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
magicom
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicom
I too purchased Jeff Jones' backdrop. A big expense, but I too get a great response from clients (before anything has yet happened), and feel that it has added value to my shows.
RSteele
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of RSteele
I vote for the Jeff Jones backdrops. I have several and use them all the time. They're great!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I just placed an order from Tim Sonefelt of Wonder Imagery for this backdrop with this design. But I got the 8x10feet.
https://vimeo.com/132477299
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
I do not recommend using large photographic backdrop stands because they take too long and too much space to erect, especially in a home. The Abbott's Jet Set in the 8' size, carried inside a video tripod bag, is just about the best solution for a sturdy, inexpensive magic backdrop I have found. I buy Crushed Panne' stretchy velvet at the fabric store, and I do not even make "curtains" with it: I buy it on sale, and I purchase two, 15- or 16-foot lengths (5 or 5.3 yards) and just drape the fabric over the top of the stand, and fold the cut edges underneath at the ends and overlap in the middle. No seams, no edges, and it always looks great. Easy to gather up at the top and roll up and throw in a bag. Never needs ironing. These fabrics come in a variety of great colors; for kid shows, I like the lime or day-glo green, whatever they call it. Very bright but calming and not distracting, and good for kids.

I also highly recommend B Screens if you can find them, but ONLY for assemblies or big venue shows like a church or school or library WHEN you have the time to assemble them before crowds arrive. You need at least 16 open feet on a carpet to lay out the screens and the frame. They are 8-feet high and look great and pack very small, but keep in mind you need space and time to set them up.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
4merryhearts
View Profile
New user
Roanoke, VA
7 Posts

Profile of 4merryhearts
Just received my backdrop from Jamstone Magic and love it. I put it up on two tripods and poles (ordered off of ebay for photography backdrops) that fit in a bag the size of a folding sports chair. The material is of good weight and quality, the printing wonderful, and it photographs as if it were 3 dimensional curtains. It gives a good look and any photos will have my web page on it! Up in 2 or 3 minutes!
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I've been using a photography setup with 2 tripods and a curtain and have decided to upgrade. I've read through this thread but I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a Jeff Jones backdrop or the spider-style one by Tim Sonefelt. The prices are similar. They are both quick and easy to setup. Lou Hilario, you ordered a Sonefelt back drop in 2015, how do you like it?
cat26
View Profile
Regular user
Manitoba, Canada
101 Posts

Profile of cat26
You can get great backdrops from this site- https://www.dresslily.com/wall-tapestries-c-310.html
The largest ones are 91 inches wide by 79 inches in height. I have got two of them. They are made of polyester.
teoswand
View Profile
Regular user
usa
108 Posts

Profile of teoswand
Ive tried contacting Jeff multiple times over the website but no response...hopefully he will see my emails soon Smile