The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: True Astonishments Favorite Five Effects (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of cardlover
Casanova inc
Water Trap
Extraordinary Proof
Cheng's Riser
Smoking I
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
1. Angel Case
2. SOS
3. Tubular
4. Belly Button
5. LVL$

But those are just the effects I've performed
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1226 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I am a big fan of Ripped and Fryed but still rehearsing it before taking it out into the world.

With that being said, I worked on a few of the ones that jumped out at me the most and rehearsed the hell out of them before debuting them. That happened last night at a Mardi Gras Catholic Charity event where I did strolling.

First of all, Watertrap impressed me and it has now impressed my audiences. I was set up to do it 5 times last night but only did it once because I could only find one person who had a dime. (I guess not a lot of pocket change when wearing fancy gowns and tuxes).

I underestimated Weber's Blend when I first watched it, but I did it a few times last night and plan on getting a few hundred of these made up. I have a semi-true story that creates a cool lead-in for this effect.

Stapled Warp and Pack of Lies played well after one another. Half of my gig last night was at tables and half was for standing audience. Did an Ambitious Card routine and dropped the cards in my jacket pocket. Did another effect then pulled out the Pack of Lies gimmick. After showing that the deck was back in my pocket, I pulled it out with the 2 cards for Stapled Warp on the bottom. Kind of all tied together. (Incidentally, I work in an office, so staplers are pretty handy if I just wanted to pull that effect out....but in a strolling situation, one of those mini staplers takes absolutely no pocket space in my jacket pocket, so I don't see the argument there. The zippo my pocket takes more space)

Will order a number of refills for Twilight Angels. I have seen the back and forth discussion on whether it is "stupid" to give away the signed gaff. I thought calling the preference to give it away as "stupid" was just as stupid but decided to stay out of that ****ing contest. However, I did it a few times last night and gave it away the final time after letting her sign it. Don't underestimate that emotional reaction that gets. Similar to Wayne's performance. I don't think signing it necessarily proves there is no switch, but it does make it more personal for the volunteer and I think that is what sells it more. Will definitely start doing it signed from now on.

Naked Strange was perfect for the stolling gig when they were standing around and not at the tables. Great stand-up card effect.

All in all....I was quite happy with the reactions with the first few I worked into the act. Look forward to working on some more. But, I will say this, after initially dismissing it (I should never watch magic dvds at 2 am....and thank you to Eric Myers for suggesting I look at it again) I am happy I worked out Weber's Blend (or Wierding). This coffee card now has a permanent home in my Predator Wallet.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
The signature for Twilight Angels was never a "competition"...

I love Pack of Lies and like you've sort of suggested, what's great about it is that when you pull the deck back out of your pocket, you can have whatever set up you want in it.

I also love Naked Strange.

I wouldn't know where to begin to list only 5 favourite effects. I love MANY effects from these dvds.
MiketheMagicDude
View Profile
Loyal user
CT
270 Posts

Profile of MiketheMagicDude
Just a couple things here....

1) always be prepared. i.e. Bring your own dimes.

2) If signing a card doesn't necessarily prove there is no switch....why have anyone sign a card ever?

Quote:
On 2009-02-22 19:33, Michael Dustman wrote:
I am a big fan of Ripped and Fryed but still rehearsing it before taking it out into the world.

With that being said, I worked on a few of the ones that jumped out at me the most and rehearsed the hell out of them before debuting them. That happened last night at a Mardi Gras Catholic Charity event where I did strolling.

First of all, Watertrap impressed me and it has now impressed my audiences. I was set up to do it 5 times last night but only did it once because I could only find one person who had a dime. (I guess not a lot of pocket change when wearing fancy gowns and tuxes).

I underestimated Weber's Blend when I first watched it, but I did it a few times last night and plan on getting a few hundred of these made up. I have a semi-true story that creates a cool lead-in for this effect.

Stapled Warp and Pack of Lies played well after one another. Half of my gig last night was at tables and half was for standing audience. Did an Ambitious Card routine and dropped the cards in my jacket pocket. Did another effect then pulled out the Pack of Lies gimmick. After showing that the deck was back in my pocket, I pulled it out with the 2 cards for Stapled Warp on the bottom. Kind of all tied together. (Incidentally, I work in an office, so staplers are pretty handy if I just wanted to pull that effect out....but in a strolling situation, one of those mini staplers takes absolutely no pocket space in my jacket pocket, so I don't see the argument there. The zippo my pocket takes more space)

Will order a number of refills for Twilight Angels. I have seen the back and forth discussion on whether it is "stupid" to give away the signed gaff. I thought calling the preference to give it away as "stupid" was just as stupid but decided to stay out of that ****ing contest. However, I did it a few times last night and gave it away the final time after letting her sign it. Don't underestimate that emotional reaction that gets. Similar to Wayne's performance. I don't think signing it necessarily proves there is no switch, but it does make it more personal for the volunteer and I think that is what sells it more. Will definitely start doing it signed from now on.

Naked Strange was perfect for the stolling gig when they were standing around and not at the tables. Great stand-up card effect.

All in all....I was quite happy with the reactions with the first few I worked into the act. Look forward to working on some more. But, I will say this, after initially dismissing it (I should never watch magic dvds at 2 am....and thank you to Eric Myers for suggesting I look at it again) I am happy I worked out Weber's Blend (or Wierding). This coffee card now has a permanent home in my Predator Wallet.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:

2) If signing a card doesn't necessarily prove there is no switch....why have anyone sign a card ever?

Usually, to prove there is no switch.
In this case, to give her a personal card with HER lucky angels on the back. Smile

Dave
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-02-23 12:25, MiketheMagicDude wrote:
Just a couple things here....

1) always be prepared. i.e. Bring your own dimes.

Numbering of comments below reference above quote:

1.) Good advice. While I'd worry that it might slightly impact the emotional conviction of the effect, it pays to be prepared (plus you can always pick up a soft drink if you get thirsty).

2.) There is a whole other aspect to card signing, namely "methodological", i.e., allowing you to do your work. I think verbally expressing "sign this so you don't know it was switched" is overkill, but signing the card is indeed what proves it wasn't switched. Very quickly, go through a list of effects where cards are signed and you see this to be the motivating factor. From just TA, Dr Fun, the above-mentioned Water Trap, Twighlight Angels, etc. I think the signature is integral for "maximal effect", but you don't always necessarily need/want maximal effect, for various reasons. However, the motivation/explanation referring to not switching is, I think, the primary benefit of signing cards, esp. card effects like Twilight Angel, where the obvious explanation is eliminated due to the signature.

Just my thoughts.

Lem

EDIT- I feel obligated to add that I ordered 40 replacement gimmicks, so it is obvious where I stand on this matter.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Won't anyone address my comment? I mentioned that since you eliminate the idea of a switch, they'll jump to the second method which would be a gaffed card that was always like it ends up in the end. Since you guys think that they'll immediately think it was a switch, but that a switch would eliminate that thought, then based on your logic they're bound to keep guessing and fall on the appropriate solution. No? Like I mentioned before, most people don't believe you're doing real magic, so I think it's best to leave the most impressive method out there (such as an invisible switch while they were burning the card) rather than eliminating that impressive method and leaving them with the actual method, which is not impressive at all to them once they think about it (a gaffed card that already had two angels beside each other). I'll probably end up having them sign the card, I'm just curious how you guys see this.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
But Patrick, you seem to be missing the point that the signed card "proves" to the audience that it's the same card from beginning to end (no switch). And if there's not a switch they know it couldn't have been that way the whole time because they SAW and FELT a normal back.

Yes, most audiences understand the idea of switch or a duplicate and maybe even the idea of a specially printed card. But they don't know about DL's and KM moves or double-backed cards, or whatever YOU bring to the effect as a performer that allows them not to go down EITHER road of a switch or the card being that way the whole time.

You seem to think the audience will believe one or the other (a switch or this card was this way the whole time) but in reality they'll either believe BOTH or neither. In other words, "He switched this card for a card that was this way the whole time." OR "I have no idea what he did. I saw a normal card and he couldn't have switched it because I signed that normal card."
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2009-02-23 17:42, Magicsquared wrote:
But Patrick, you seem to be missing the point that the signed card "proves" to the audience that it's the same card from beginning to end (no switch). And if there's not a switch they know it couldn't have been that way the whole time because they SAW and FELT a normal back.

Right. In my handling, they freely select a card and it is with this card that I show them the nature of the back of the card (angels riding bikes, etc.). This is the card <they believe> they sign. In this instance, signing both eliminates a switch, it also eliminates the "special card" explanation.

If that doesn't answer your question, I'm not sure what you are asking but I have a feeling that it doesn't since it was what was directly implied in my last post.

Lem

PS- What comment are you referring to, Patrick, I don't see it in this thread? And asking people why they don't ask a question you ask in a totally different thread is a bit in bad taste.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Answer, answer a question you ask. It's also a bit in bad taste to not proof-read your own posts, Lem, jeez!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2245 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
My 5, in no particular order, and this list is subject to change:

Extraordinary Proof
Lubor's Lens
Water Trap
Pack of Lies
Big Tiny

This is from effects that I've performed, and think that I'll perform often. There are other great effects on the set that I've either not tried, or I just think I'll do regularly. There are a couple here or there that I don't think I'll ever really do, and also several that I've not tried yet. And this isn't counting any of the Cookies, because there are some great ones in there. I'm loving Jeff's Jump, for instance, and can't wait to make "Orange".

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Lem you`re right my bad for asking for an answer from a post of mine from another thread. My view on the signature thing is simply that if they will blindly assume that you switched cards even though they were burning the card throughout the effect (if it wasn`t signed), then they`ll blindly assume that the card was always gaffed even if they do sign the card. Sure you show the back of the card to be normal, but they sign the face, not the back. To them, you could easily have shown a different back than the gaffed card. Doesn`t really matter though.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Hey no prob, Patrick, I called myself on a different mistake, lol. I'm going to post a little about Backlash 2 in the other thread later. However, as I said, my initial personal impressions will always take a backseat to audience impact, so I am going to try this effect. While it's technically simple, I want to make sure I am coming at it from a correct mindset so I am spending a lot of time on the nuances of the moves (how to hold the signature on this side to show the signature on the other side etc.).

I will simply say I didn't much like Dr Fun or Name Dropper either but audience testing proved me wrong. Good thing I always said that reviews without audience testing are worthless, otherwise I'd have to eat my words.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
To counteract the bad turn the "five worst" thread has taken, I'm kicking this one up to the top of the page with my current five. I'm reserving the right to revise later when I've played with more of the material:

"Water Trap"
"Big Tiny"
"Lubor's Lens"
"Ripped and Fryed"
"The Weirdling"
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
I love Lubor's lens as well. I might get the book of extra effects
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
I watched the rest of the set, and here's the current five (in no particular order and including ties).

Twilight Angels
Stapled Warp
The Rub (TA Pen)
Cheng's Riser
Lubor's Lens

Other effects that are simply amazing: Big Tiny, Cheng's Change, LVL$, Casanova Inc., Pack of Lies, Half Moon Voodoo, Dr. Fun, Extraordinary Proof, Reswindled, The Weirdling, Invisible Palm, Belly Button, SOS, Angel Cake
poesjenel
View Profile
Regular user
Antwerp, Belgium
122 Posts

Profile of poesjenel
I like these most:
Stapled Warp
Big Tiny
SOS
Extraordinary proof
Ripped and fryed ( with a different preparation, I completely prefold the bottom half of the card so the crucial last move on the gimmick is much easier and always comes out perfect. If you need more info about this you can PM me or try to skype me. My Skype name is "poesjenel". The succes for this trick is that it it is very much suited for (adult) comedy.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Do all the people who say they like "Stapled Warp" already do "Card Warp" and prefer this version better? Or was "Card Warp" something they never did before? One of the great "Card Warp" moments is unfolding the cards and showing them to be normal and then starting again, and to my mind that moment is stronger than what's added by the staples. Just wondering.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Bugjack,

Good question. I'm still torn between deciding on Dr. Strangetrick (or whatever Close's handling is if I got that mixed up), Stapled Warp, or another variation that I've come up with (but I am sure isn't novel, so I don't want to expose it).