The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..17..31..45..59..69~70~71~72 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Mr Wolf and Martino are on two ends of the spectrum! Who do I believe??
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ok guys Which is is it? is it good or is it crap?
mantel
View Profile
Special user
925 Posts

Profile of mantel
Daffydoug have you watched Michaelmystics true astonishment reviews on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsjbZnaroWw It may help you with your decision. From what I remember about half of the TA DVDs according to Micheal were less than stellar.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
No but I will check out the link! Thanks a bunch!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So far I have watched three of the reviews, and I am now put off from purchasing this set.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
I've already given my opinion on your best option. With the $300 you'd have to spend on these you could have the AofA books, a full set of the Stars of Magic DVDs and still have about 100 bucks spare to spend on something else of real quality such as the John Carney Master Sessions dvd set!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
As O said, I already have the AOA books and the Stars of magic series. I was hoping for something new and fresh from Paul. You know: Cutting edge.

*sigh*
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
This morning we went to the local java house. I stopped the Starbucks sometime and the money saved went to magic ( give up a daily habit and count the money saved. It will be in the hundreds ).

I set up Patrick Snowden's Tensegrity. We did it as if we were conducting an experiment. It had nothing to do with anyone else. We talked, took notes, etc.

This became the talk of the joint. People stared, made comments, etc. I got a special feeling that I was giving therm something they will talk about for a long time.

If you have the set, try this. Don't pass it by. Do this in a casual setting, not as a magic trick, but something weird and out of the norm for people.
FrenchFryNecromancer
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of FrenchFryNecromancer
Quote:
On 2012-06-11 18:55, Zombie Magic wrote:
This morning we went to the local java house. I stopped the Starbucks sometime and the money saved went to magic ( give up a daily habit and count the money saved. It will be in the hundreds ).

I set up Patrick Snowden's Tensegrity. We did it as if we were conducting an experiment. It had nothing to do with anyone else. We talked, took notes, etc.

This became the talk of the joint. People stared, made comments, etc. I got a special feeling that I was giving therm something they will talk about for a long time.

If you have the set, try this. Don't pass it by. Do this in a casual setting, not as a magic trick, but something weird and out of the norm for people.

This is a great idea. One I might actually try out for myself. Thanks!
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I just had my bi-annual viewing of the trailer for True Astonishments. It never fails to get me excited about learning and performing magic. Or maybe I just have an excess of mirror neurons because I just dig watching people laughing and having a good time.

And here is my improvement (in my opinion) for SOS, Son of Stunner.

In the PHootnotes of this effect, Paul mentions how the revelation of the selected card can overshadow the other beats in the effect. I agree with this. The truth is once the audience gets distracted from the deck to check the prediction, when they come back to the deck it's almost been out of play for so long that you conceivable could have switched in a new deck relatively easily.

I've solved these issues (for me) by just switching around the revelations. I won't go into my whole presentation but let's say you've told the audience that there is one special card in the deck and they're going to be able to intuit which one that is. After they select their card, set it in front of them face down. "Do you know why that cards special?" you ask, "Because it's the only one in the deck that is now face down." And do a WIDE ribbon spread of a face up deck. This hits much harder when it's the first revelation, because the deck that they were just looking at face up/face down is now immediately righted without their attention ever leaving the deck. You then move into the 2nd revelation of the prediction -- this retains the impact it has when it's the first revelation. And because the deck is ribbon spread on the table, the notion that you could switch it even when their attention is diverted to the prediction seems impossible. Then go on to the color change finale.

tl;dr

in SOS, instead of doing the revelations as: 1. Prediction. 2. Triumph. 3. Color Change. Perform them as 1. Triumph. 2. Prediction. 3. Color Change
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Magicsquared, that is the missing piece to SOS!

Thank you for sharing this with Café members!
robfind
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of robfind
So, This is a very new post. I now have a set so I need help with something. I have two jokers that have a poker/blackjack add on the back and two jokers with half jokers on the back. I also have a double backer. What effects are these cards used for in the TA set?
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Anyone know where I can buy the growing card on this DVD set? Lost mine.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-11-06 14:07, greig ewen wrote:
Anyone know where I can buy the growing card on this DVD set? Lost mine.

You can't; there are no refills available. Paul Harris Presents should address this
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 14:17, Martino wrote:
I've already given my opinion on your best option. With the $300 you'd have to spend on these you could have the AofA books, a full set of the Stars of Magic DVDs and still have about 100 bucks spare to spend on something else of real quality such as the John Carney Master Sessions dvd set!

Agreed

TA is nice but overhyped and overpriced
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Paul Harris's legacy is in the Art Of Astonishment books
Not in the True Astonishments set; it has great production values,
but it doesn't get anywhere near doing Paul justice
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
I'm still loving this set,although they are new and the novelty might wear of. Yeah wish they would address the issue if refills. So much great stuff in this set to keep me interested though. Maybe over priced/over hyped but was a gift so can't grumble.

Greig
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Quote:
On 2013-11-08 08:58, greig ewen wrote:
I'm still loving this set,although they are new and the novelty might wear of. Yeah wish they would address the issue if refills. So much great stuff in this set to keep me interested though. Maybe over priced/over hyped but was a gift so can't grumble.

Greig

I love the set too man
But it doesn't feel like Paul
Feels more like Bro. Gilbert's set
And all the other performers on there

Still a great set with great effects
Not worth $300, $100 is the correct price
Magic is overpriced as we know
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
I really enjoyed the set. And considered the gimmicks, boxes, 9 DVDs and the Easter Eggs - I feel the set was very good value for money.

And that reminds me - there are a TON of hidden Easter Eggs on the sets. For me these bonuses added a lot of value to the project.

So - look around on the internet - and find the list which enables you to track down all the hidden Easter Eggs!
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Ideally enjoyed the set as well. I thought it had a real Paul Harris. Feel even though he did not perform on the set . I go back to these often and always find something new.