The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..68~69~70~71~72 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-10-01 15:57, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Anyone know of a way to perpare the one card for Stapled warp in front of them so you can use any two cards? I really like the effect and I have no problem having the card already prepared, but it`d be great to be able to just decide out of the blue to perform it.

Paul Green on his 'Card Warp Finale' DVD prepares the card impromptu, right in front of them. They actually handle the two cards first.

Chis
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Twilight Angels is now available in a full deck, each card different, red backs. I know Hocus-Pocus is carrying them. They're Mandolin backs, but who cares. I'm using the full deck along with a double backer and I'm good to go without any reset all night.
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
To those that own the set and have played around with Pack of Lies. Has anyone figured out how to perform this without the spectator having a jacket? Thanks
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
You can do it with a lady's purse. By the way, the button trick is very good. Finally got around to performing it a few times recently.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Yeah I had thought of using a purse, but somehow I think it's much weaker, mostly because it's not as close to their person as a pocket is, plus they'll either have to empty their entire purse before the effect, or sift through all of their things in their purse after the effect to see that all the cards have been stolen out. I would stick to using a jacket pocket. I always have an extra jacket to put on someone if nobody's wearing one. I talk about how pickpockets will target people wearing jackets on the streets because it's easier to steal from a jacket pocket. Have them wear the jacket and go from there.
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
Good ideas guys. Thanks. Keep them coming
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 16:27, kissdadookie wrote:
You can do it with a lady's purse. By the way, the button trick is very good. Finally got around to performing it a few times recently.

Oh hey, thanks for reminding me about the button trick. I used it during the elections to fool some Democrats and Republicans. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
98 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
I just started rewatching the TA set last week, I got it last Christmas and devoured the set.

I've been doing the twirling cigarette paper bit (it's one of the hidden mushroom wizard cookies) all year and it goes over amazingly well. It looks like real magic and usually gets an audible "ohh". I do it in my cabaret show and I'm always amazed at how well a tiny piece of tissue paper can play in front of a big group of people. If you aren't doing this bit I strongly suggest it, especially if you role your own or hang out with people who smoke pot.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2052 Posts

Profile of Daren
A set I am never going to part with!
FrenchFryNecromancer
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of FrenchFryNecromancer
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 21:34, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Twilight Angels is now available in a full deck, each card different, red backs. I know Hocus-Pocus is carrying them. They're Mandolin backs, but who cares. I'm using the full deck along with a double backer and I'm good to go without any reset all night.

At long last! Lol..... that was quite a wait. I'm going to pick some of these up for sure.
Jeff Hartsoe
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hartsoe
Can someone tell me what they think of DR. FUN? How about angel cake?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
"Dr. Fun" is a great effect that gets great reactions... However, it's basically a mentalism effect using playing cards — something you might normally do using billets. So, you kind of need to think about why you're doing it with cards instead. The handling is very clever yet also a bit fiddly. There are mentalist methods that are a lot cleaner. That said, it's still one of the highlights of the set. Bro's performance is really charming and a good example of making the effect more about the spectator and their feelings and memories.

"Angel Cake" I was less into, mostly because, again, the handling is a bit forced.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Okay

I haven't read thru all 47 pages of this thread, but from what I did see it looks as if everyone raved about it.

Let me start by saying Paul Harris is one of my all time hero's. I have every one of his early books and probably 90% of what I perform is from or derived from them.

That being said, if I paid 300 bucks for this set, I would be pretty p#% o%^. I think I paid $65 for just the dvd's on ebay and still don't think I got my money's worth.

I'm sorry but Bro Gilbert is no Paul Harris and most of the performances are like waching paint dry. And with a few exceptions the tricks themselves were just silly and obvious.

The only things I use from these 9 dvd which are quite excellent are Ripped and Fryed and Reswindled (I also incorporated the display from Truly Screwed into the original version of Screwed Deck - why he wanted to eliminate this excellent prop for an impromptu version eludes me).

For me Paul Harris's legacy is his early work and the effect he had on a generation of magicians. He should have left it at that...
Lakewood, Ohio
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Couldn't disagree more mate - although I think a certain 'casual' vibe is needed to get the most out of Paul's material. I thought Bro Gilbert did a great job of the performances as well.

Had this set since release, and still am using the new Backlash, S.O.S, Invisible Palm Aces, ReSwindled, Smoking I (when I can find the matchbooks - they are rare in the UK!), Dr Fun and Name Dropper. All genuinely brilliant pieces in my opinion.

Each to his own though!
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Liam

I wanted to like the DVDs since Paul Harris has been my biggest influence. I will of course be watching them over and over and maybe I'll change my mind. I'll look at the ones you mentioned. The Invisible Palm is one of my favorite tricks - I didn't mention it because I do it the way I learned it from his book. Wayne had some interesting touches which I have incorporated, but I still think Paul's original handling is better.

I am visiting London next week. I'd volunteer to bring you a box of matchbooks, but after the recent events I a leery about getting a cavity search...
Lakewood, Ohio
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
I disagree too J100. As for the price--$300 for 9 DVDs full of effects plus gimmicks is fair to me. When I got this set, I looked forward to watching a little bit every night. I was defintitely sad when it was done. To me there was atleast one 100% winner on each dvd. To each their own.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This set has my interest. Who carries it besides Paul?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
I've seen these and frankly I'm glad I didn't shell out $300 for them! One or two great workable effects and the rest are not so great! You'd be better off with a set of the Art of Astonishment books and the original Paul Harris Stars of Magic DVDs!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have those! But I was thinking that these had all that topped! Thank you for the warning! Which effects specifically are the gems of the series?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
mr. wolf
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of mr. wolf
I LOVE this set of DVDs! If you are a worker you will find a LOT of effects to add to your current repertoire.
Patrick