The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: TA: True Astonishment by Paul Harris: Box Set: 9 DVDs + Props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..16..29..42..55..67~68~69~70~71~72 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I posted this on another thread, but wanted to share it here. On volume 5 of TA, there is an incredible effect taught by Andrew Gerard.

"Extraordinary Proof": Andrew Gerard is back with a self-working Stop masterpiece that leave your holding your favorite spectator's hand. All you have to do is show up and deal.

This effect is dead easy and fools people badly because of the subtleties Andrew throws in as he leads them down the garden path.

I perform this using Tim Trono's Branded and the outcome is killer. Any folks that have Branded and the TA set should give it a try. I think you'll be very pleased with the reactions you get.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2010-01-16 14:40, Review King wrote:
"Extraordinary Proof": Andrew Gerard is back with a self-working Stop masterpiece that leave your holding your favorite spectator's hand. All you have to do is show up and deal.

This effect is dead easy and fools people badly because of the subtleties Andrew throws in as he leads them down the garden path.

I'd be interested in how others are doing with Extraordinary Proof. I posted how much I liked it in my original post here, and for the most part I do, and people seem to love it.

What threw me was that I did it for my magic-savvy 13 year old daughter, and she liked it but then later she said "I know how you did that" and she did. Since then, I have outright asked friends and family how they thought it was done and what they thought happened. A number have said they had no idea, but others have said that they just weren't sure right from the start about some of the process.

This is all after attending closely (in my mind at least) in my presentation to Andrew's tips and subtleties.

The interesting thing to me is that the Proof in the end is so good, and people like it so much, that they are ready and willing to be astonished, but they may still harbor suspicions and you won't know it - my worst fear as a magician (okay, one of my fears anyway).

I dunno, I guess it's still an effect to do for a lay audience for the most part, but probably I also need to sell it better than I do. Pack of Lies, though, has blown everyone away every time. Son of Stunner too. Also, Transcendental Bar Bet freaked my smart daughter out, even though when I first saw it, I pretty much knew the method. I guess for her, the more visual, the better.

Probably, not being a pro, I am uneven in my performances, and that may account for differing reactions, but still, all the more reason to have the best possible effects at my disposal and that's why I'm asking about this one. Smile
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I like "Extraordinary Proof" as well and while I haven't had anyone outright figure it out, I have had a couple of people comment that they felt something happened -- that they were intentionally confused by the procedure. As Paul said in the Phootnote, he didn't initially believe anyone would be fooled by it, and while I think the psychological misdirection is enough for most people, I do think some people will see through it. For me, that doesn't rule out the trick -- I just take note of the risk factor.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 08:25, oscarf wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-01-16 14:40, Review King wrote:

Probably, not being a pro, I am uneven in my performances, and that may account for differing reactions, but still, all the more reason to have the best possible effects at my disposal and that's why I'm asking about this one. Smile

I bet you do it as well as any professional ( which just means they get paid to perform. Lotsa bad performs get paid. I know, I've been paid on occasion myself ).

Young people are very savvy today, so I really don't perform for them.

The idea behind this effect is an old one. Did you watch the Paul Harris Phoote Notes after the effect?

I decided to ad Branded for the revelation to throw more cover on it. I "think" a written prediction before makes it looked forced, so I wanted to avoid that.

Chris

oscarf
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of oscarf
Quote:
On 2010-01-17 14:10, Review King wrote:

I bet you do it as well as any professional ( which just means they get paid to perform. Lotsa bad performs get paid. I know, I've been paid on occasion myself ).

Ha! Yes, it's true, I perform much better than some of what I have seen people getting paid for, but my recent purchase of the Draun DVD set has showed me just how perfectly polished (and yet relaxed and able to ad lib as well) a traditional performing professional magician can be.

And of course, the TA set has showed me the same about a whole different approach to performing.

When you do it with Branded (nice), do you go with the recurring dream and all? The audience seems to love that whole scenario - or at least mine do - but I'm thinking that story line isn't for everyone.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
It's supposed to seem forced; that's the premise. You had a reoccurring dream and you wrote the card you dreamed of on your hand. They stop on any card and you prove that it was the same card. If you use Branded (great idea), it changes the whole presentation. Nothing wrong with that, just saying that writing the prediction down is supposed to seem like a fixed outcome.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm not the performer Andrew Gerard is, so I have to change things around.

I did a similar stop trick for a close friend and she was able to figure it out ( as she has with a few effects ). This type of trick lends itself to that happening.

Flash forward to learning Andrews effect and using Branded and she was blown away. She should have got it as it was similar, but using Andrew's subtitles and Branded left her clueless and a little spooked. She will still talk about it from time to time.

I have tried this 3 ways, the last being the way I prefer.

1) They arrive at the card and look at it without showing it to me and I reveal it with Branded.

2) They arrive at the card, I do Branded and then they turn over their card and it's a match.

3) I do a dream patter and talk about being burned in the dream and when I woke, I had blisters that looked like the pips of a playing card. And the blisters are still here. They turn over the card and I show them my fingers and they see the blisters that show the card.

There is nothing scientific about which is more powerful, but my own instincts have told me the 3rd way has been.

Chris

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone doing SOS ( son of stunner )?

The original Color Stunner by Paul was great. David Williamson took it a step further with Funner Color Stunner and John G has a wonderful version with 4 aces.

SOS is in a different level of card magic. The force is so clean and beautiful, that you have to use your instincts as to whether to finish with the rest of the effect. What I mean is that it can be powerful or anticlimactic. I love it because you really have to think about it when you perform.

There is a depth to this set that makes you live with it. I truly believe that their are things sprinkled throughout this set that make it work the price of the entire set. When you perform an effect that absolutely stuns people, you can't put a price on that feeling for them or you.

I have found the best way to enjoy this set is to just watch it. Meaning, put in the first disk and watch. don't look for Easter eggs, don't jump around, etc. The magic mushroom will appear when there is an egg and it's more fun to have it just happen then search for it.

Chris Kavanagh

Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I agree, Chris. I think I would just stick to the first phase of SOS. The other two kickers just don't seem to have anything to do with the original effect. As you say, it's anti-climatic.

Frankly, I think Paul's original Color Stunner is awesome as is. I've used it many times and will continue to do so.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Matthew U
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of Matthew U
TA is a very good box set . You get a lot for your money . In the box set you get a nice wooden box and a set of DVDs with also a bag full of gimmicks . Some
of the tricks may nee refills but if you do not want to get refillls there is option for this . One trick that stood out for me was Paul Harrs Angrl Cake , TA pen . Angel
cake is a awsome trick with the spectors bank note . And the TA pen is a really cool magic trick every magician should have . It is a lot of money but if you are into magic a lot I would think about getting this . Out of this world .
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
I LOVE Son of Stunner! I perform it everynight during my set from table to table! Before beginning the effect I talk about marked cards in poker and how deck switching is a common technique cheaters use. When the marked card is discovered I ask,"you saw me shuffle the deck correct?" They say yes and I say."then why aren't they shuffled anymore?" That right there makes them flip out. I continue by asking,"did you see me switch the deck?" They say "no" and I show them a diffrent deck! Love it love it love it!! I showed this to my local IBM and I fooled everyone there!
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
On a side note I use to perform Angel Cake regularly at a bar I performed at a year ago but I felt kind of bad when the bartender I did this to actually believed I turned her one dollar bill into a $10 and let her "keep it."
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Here's a question, any idea how one can acquire a single DVD from the set with the fold out DVD tray? I don't actually need the disc but just a replacement disc tray and seeing how each disc came shrink wrapped when I first purchased the set when it came out, I figure that the trays come with the disc.

I had inadvertently sat on the tray for disc two which effectively trashed the tray and would like to purchase a replacement tray.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Try contacting Janet Harris. I doubt they made extra trays though.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2010-01-14 01:02, Review King wrote:
I started watching the set again today. There are so many incredible effects on this set. Andrew Gerard's version of Card Warp is one of the best with his final reveal. It's worth carrying the mini stapler. Just filled with gems like this.

This set will improve with age as folks revisit it. There is important work on the disks and for me, there is performing gold on them.

Chris Kavanagh

That's true, Chris. Mini stapler is underrated I guess Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Anyone know of a way to perpare the one card for Stapled warp in front of them so you can use any two cards? I really like the effect and I have no problem having the card already prepared, but it`d be great to be able to just decide out of the blue to perform it.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
The work takes about 2-3 seconds Smile You can always have a few on you ready to go and palm them in.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2253 Posts

Yeah it only takes a few seconds, but I mentioned why even that is a hindrance to me. I'd love to be able to use any two cards at a moment's notice. You can't do the two to three second work in front of them.
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
200 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Even if you could somehow do it under cover, they would still hear it.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
It is certainly possible to do it in front of people. Noise can be an issue, but most working environments are noisy enough to cover it. If in doubt do it slowly...

Rob