The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo Elite :: Squeeze Play (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Did Tenyo do Squeeze Play? I liked that effect, but was always disappointed that it looked cheap. I always wished they make it look like something. Maybe two coasters and a piece of candy from a wrapper or something.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Yes, Tenyo did release Squeeze Play (T- 087) in 1977 - it was invented by Shigeru Sugawara and is a GREAT trick. Smile

Perhaps one day we will issue a Elite version! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This was my first TENYO trick, I bought it around 1978 (second hand). I was just a kid.
I remember that I showed Squeeze Play for the kids on my street, they talked a lot of me. Mats - the kid with miracle hands. Nice memories.

If yo make an Elite version in the future, make a new glass that looks "normal", I think that will improve that effect a lot.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I was thinking of painting the “thing” (I don’t know what to call that pink item) all pink and put it into a wrapper and say it’s candy. I painted my disks a metallic color, but it lost its slickness. Maybe in the Elite version you can make it look like something normal like a coaster.

I like the effect it’s a fooler. I guess Mark Wilson did too because he endorsed it at the time.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Squeeze Play is one of the most amazing magic tricks that Tenyo released. Under rated by many because it actually took some skill to perform. Wonderful effect. Best,
Brad Burt
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
As Steve said, perhaps one day we will release an Elite version. One of the advantages we have in producing the Elite editions, is that we will not be putting on 'made by Tenyo' or other idenifications that are often moldedn into the plastic original Tenyo tricks. And if I recall Squeeze play had Tenyo all over it. So if we do decide to do an elite version the props will not contain any identification on the parts that my suggest it is a toy, which will be welcomed by those who wish to perform the prop in a more professional application.

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I have always thought the OBVIOUS thing to do (and truth be told made my own set years ago when I used this trick) was to make it with dice instead of the checker, uh cylindar, uh... whatever the pink thing was!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Brilliant. Why didn't I think of it. I guess one needs to be made for it, but maybe the Elite one will.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
Pink thing? The version I have is like a red cylinder with white bands/edges around it.

I'm not sure how this could be made into an elite version, as you would all know the discs and the slick texture of it contributed to the method.

So far it seems the elite props are made from aluminium, since discs of aluminium would not flex the way plastic does the material choice would have to be further investigated.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
The Tenyo team are fantastic creative thinkers ... second to none.
Perhaps it is time they marketed some of their products for the professional performer exclusively. And by that, I mean the product quality.
Sometimes, I feel, they do themselves an injustice producing a gem of an idea, but cut themselves short by producing it in plastic. Sorry guys. No disrespect.
If I could produce such items and in plastic, I would be more than happy. But I feel you are shortchanging yourselves, that's all!

Best wishes to the Tenyo crew ...
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Agreed. Squeeze Play is a great trick, but once you bring out the plastic disks with "Squeeze Play" written on it, it looks like a toy. The effect is great! Someone suggested a die. Good idea. Use the Vegas looking ones, the red clear kind. The disc can still be plastic, but can be coasters to put drinks on. Kind of something that would be at a craps table.

I like the hole in the disk. But an idea I was playing with was to put the disk with the hole on the bottom. Then use the premise that the cylinder or die or whatever will "squeeze" through it. Just a thought.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
For those of us who remember, Squeeze Play was one of the items that was supposed to be in the Doug Henning magic set. The last set of SP that I had was marked as such, too. Blue "coasters" and the little cylinder was red with beige/tan bands.

Steve
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2009-01-29 22:45, Kjellstrom wrote:
This was my first TENYO trick, I bought it around 1978 (second hand). I was just a kid.

Same here. It gives me the chills thinking way back to those early days.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Squeeze Play!!!

My all time favorite Tenyo Product. This would be a definite buy for me if the Elite group would decide to take it on. I remember how this effect used to fool just about everybody. It was a crowd pleaser for sure Smile
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
We used to sell this trick at Carew Tower Magic shop here in Cincinnati. It was fun to watch demonstrated because it really took a "knack" or feel to do, and half the time the puck would go shooting to the other end of the room at high velocity. Funny stuff! I think I maybe sold one in five years of demonstrating it, but when you nail it, it looks great.

I'd like to see it made with dice (as previously mentioned) and two "coasters" that could be used with any rocks or pint glass. It'd be a great bar trick!
Jamie_H
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
65 Posts

Profile of Jamie_H
After a long magic hiatus, I dug out my close up box tonight...which included the squeeze play with blue discs and red puck thingie. I couldn't get it to work...seemed to not be slick enough...maybe I am just rusty..lol
Jamie_H
View Profile
New user
Louisiana
65 Posts

Profile of Jamie_H
I was rusty,,its working now! LOL
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
dragonash
View Profile
Veteran user
the sticks
380 Posts

Profile of dragonash
I am sure someone HAS made a dice version of squeeze play. it wasnt called that, of course.
I don't remember where I saw it and if I find it I doubt I'll remember I ever made this post.
sorry.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
While I like the concept of using a die (using ordinary objects), I'm envisioning that the "squareness" and the corner pointy edges might cause some inherent problems with the Squeeze Play methodology and/or the durability of the two discs. The roundness of the small cylinder made it "good to go" (and consistent in its "knackiness") anytime and from wherever it was situated between the two discs.

I just have a feeling that the consistency and smoothness of operation would be a variable (depending on whether of not you are squeezing on an edge or on a corner. I'm also concerned that the corners might cause damage (scratching, grooving or enhanced structural fatigue) to the two discs if said corners become the point of contact with the two discs.

But, that said, if the die would operate as smoothly and consistently as the cylinder and not cause damage to the two discs, I'd be all for using a die in place of the cylinder.

Just speculating like the rest of you; your mileage may vary. (grin)

Best,

Mike

P.S. FWIW, my two all-time favorite Tenyo products are Squeeze Play and Soft Coins.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.