The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tenyo of Japan :: Best Tenyo Effect Ever! (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, wally wrote:
I am looking for some close up for Adults, would Ultraslice and crystal cleaver fool adults in a close up performance ?

Crystal cleaver is fantastic and will fool everyone. They won't even be able to come up a possible way the magic happened. Make sure you get an authentic Crystal Cleaver and not a knock-off. The knock offs are junk!
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
That was my next question, I have just seen some cheap ones. where can I find an original. magicwalsh@gmail.com
Rick11
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of Rick11
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2014, wally wrote:
That was my next question, I have just seen some cheap ones. where can I find an original. magicwalsh@gmail.com

Wally you can get it here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crystal-Cleaver-......63109503
wil3923
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wil3923
Yes, I brought a rip-off crystal cleaver from my local store and it breaks within the day I played with. And the price of the original one is totally fair.
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
The ones I do all the time are...Crystal Cleaver--Invisible Zone --Crystal Pyramid
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2543 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
'Water Suspension' was always my favourite effect.

Although not in the original Tenyo instructions, here's an idea.

With the apparent Ye Olde Magic Shop instructions written on a two-sided piece of card (in large Capitals, bullet-pointed so the spectators can see); and the cup inverted over a spectators head; you get a great reaction when you remove the card to read what's on the other side!

It's a very simple prop, with a failproof yet ingenious method - that with the right routining and gags, can be transformed into a very entertaining routine.

'Drink in the News' (liquid in newspaper) comes a close second.

It would not take too much trouble of course to see how both tricks could be blended together. Smile

And as Jeremy Durham states, effects with liquids are probably the most powerful as people know that you cannot palm nor manipulate it! Add into the mix that all you are using is a basic metal cup; and a newspaper. Both innocent looking items that do not appear overly 'prop-ish'.

P.S. just to add that both effects can actually be used in a close-up, table situation (particularly as water is always available/to hand). Just a tad different from the rest of the guys - who only ever seem to want to have a chosen card signed with a Sharpie, before it comes back to the top of the pack again.....then again.....and again..... Smile

Just my opinion - please don't shoot me for it!
Barry Allen

Over 15 years have now passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
"Water Suspension" is not an original Tenyo item. It was marketed in the US by Abbott's I think. Can't remember offhand. It's all in Tenyoism.
Daisydog
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Daisydog
4 nightmares is my new fave. So good!
Robert Houdin 78
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Robert Houdin 78
The Eye of the Idol; unique!
daviddelrey
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of daviddelrey
Zig-Zag Cig always blew them away. Might not be my favorite but it sure delighted everyone. I'm a bit partial to What's Next as it's so simple and effective. I used to do it for years at kids' shows and they went nuts. Also Monkey Bar, of course.
VolunteerMagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of VolunteerMagic
One of my favorites is Cubio. I have the McDonalds Big Mac Cubio and I use it all the time for kids (easier to explain a tiny burger than an odd cube, IMO). Goes over fantastically!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Merlins Coffer is one of my favorites.
nkwmagic
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
39 Posts

Profile of nkwmagic
Mystery China Box!

It's just... creepy...
Check out Cadenza, a highly rated, rare marked deck:
https://legendsplayingcards.com/products/cadenza

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/nkw.playing.cards/
Alex McFly
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
Crystal Cleaver is still one of my favourite. Also the Crystal Pyramid is very nice (but not in a quiet room) Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Any Tenyo item that makes noise is easily covered with patter. However, specifically regarding "Crystal Pyramid," if you read the instructions carefully it explains how to avoid noise. Or you can read it in my book Tenyoism.
Alex McFly
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Any Tenyo item that makes noise is easily covered with patter. However, specifically regarding "Crystal Pyramid," if you read the instructions carefully it explains how to avoid noise. Or you can read it in my book Tenyoism.

Hi Richard, thanks for your answer. Cool, I don't know about your book. Do you know a seller in Europe? I would like to buy your book!
Thanks!
Alex
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Alex, it is only available directly from me (shipment is expensive because it weighs 20 pounds, but it does come by DHL Express): http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/store/html/92.html
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3060 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
You will not regret buying the book Alex... amazing piece of work!
Alex McFly
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Alex McFly
Thanks for your post. Would be a great birthday gift. I have to tell my wife Smile
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2017, Richard Kaufman wrote:
"Water Suspension" is not an original Tenyo item. It was marketed in the US by Abbott's I think. Can't remember offhand. It's all in Tenyoism.

Question about Tenyo T-35 Water Suspension: was it always marketed as a simple metal cup without a handle or was there a version with a handle , so it looks like a small coffee or tea cup ? (like a metal camping cup) I saw a video of Jeremy Pei performing it and his has a handle on it. I was wondering if there was a version made by Tenyo that has the handle or if Jeremy probably added that by soldering the handle on to the Tenyo prop ?

See video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Fcej8Azqs

------

By the way, the original effect was invented by Lester Lake in the 1940's , called 'Wa-Ter-Lu", marketed for many years by Abbott's Magic Co., but like most Abbott items from their heyday is no longer made by Abbott's.