The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rectangles and pentagons and squares, oh my! :: Can origami be a part of your magic routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Blackghost83
View Profile
New user
Selden, NY
36 Posts

Profile of Blackghost83
I am just wondering if incorporating an origami model into your magic-say, for a prop or even having the trick center around origami- could be beneficial? I don't know if it looks stupid or cool. Any help?
When asked, "Would anybody play cards with you today?" Ricky Jay simply responded, "Sure."
"Silly People."
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
Michael Close uses a lot of oragami in his magic and is a well-known fan of the art.

If you check out his Workers book series you'll find many different effects utilizing oragami folds. The most popular effect that he does and one that I use frequently is "Frog Prince" and it is found in his workers book #2 (I'll post a link at the bottom). It utilizes a card switch where one oragami frog (jack of diamonds) is magically replaced by the spectators chosen card. It is a very popular and creative routine.

http://www.magicproshop.com/workers-book......373.html
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
Anne Pellowski wrote several books on storytelling using drawings, props, music, and napkins. One story, "The Long Brothers and the Short Brothers," weaves a story about families that do and don't follow instructions, and the action of the story ends up turning a sheet of paper into an origami box. in the story, the box is lifted, and comes down full of gold. I added a magic trick to the magical story as sounds of dropping objects can be heard and I produce coins (Miser's Dream, anyone?) from the box.
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
Experimentalist
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of Experimentalist
See Robert Neal and David Parr's Magic Mirror for a mentalism effect that involves an origami crow.

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 7:55pm
Notice that this is the only board that has to do with a generally non-magical topic. Why do you suppose it is that a lot of magicians have an origami fetish. Do both arts employ a similar type of thinking perhaps?
thelastdoctor
View Profile
New user
Dayton Ohio/USA
70 Posts

Profile of thelastdoctor
I like to use Origami and story telling to break up the "magic" with props that lay people associate with magicians. I find that it works well and brings the "magic" back to a more personal level.

As my character is an Irishman, I've created stories that fit into that persona and seem to work well. There are about two decks of playing card frogs all over Ireland as I use a story about an enchanted prince to "break the ice" while on vacation.

Lots of free beer as well. Smile I would encourage you to use Origami if you feel it fits your style of magic.

Have fun!
The Last Doctor
?who?:stout:

I’m always looking for the perfect pint or sugar free Jelly Babies...
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
You can do Napkin Rose http://www.napkinrose.com which I think is a great giveaway a sure way to get tips!
HMAC
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of HMAC
Or, really better than napkinrose, if you have time to make them, are the roses in the attached picture.

With a bit of practice, you can make one in minutes. And it really is magical. Well.. not "magical". But look in the person eyes as you give it and it is magical.

PM me if you want the instructions.

Click here to view attached image.
moualb
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of moualb
Daniel Garcia has a nice routine : he uses a dollar bill to fold a butterfly, blows on it and suddendly the butterfly flies for a few seconds, beautiful.
restaurant3000
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of restaurant3000
I use one of Michael Close's routines, where he uses an origami model which is folded into a BELT BUCKLE(looks like a BOLT & FRAME), the belt buckle turns into a real model of a paper strip going through a piece of paper and is pulled out.

I first saw this trick performed at a gala show at a magic convention and had been looking for it ever since.

It was on one of Michael's workers video's, he didn't explain the fold (instead he plugged his workers manuscripts where the fold is fully explained) but did explain the working.

I managed to find the fold elsewhere, but without Michael's transformation, so I felt good putting the two together.

Posted: May 17, 2010 8:46am
Just been following another thread,it's called "The Imagination Tester".
Booyah!
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Maybe a large number of flapping birds as a packs-flat production load?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
My original trick "Wolfang the Mind-Reading Puppet" is a trick where an origami puppet reveals the name of a selected card--but reveals it in German as the "Kreuzbube." It is a feature of all my stand-up/platform shows for both kids and adults. It was the trick with which I won third place at the 1977 IBM National Convention. The puppet was folded from a large card poster that measured 23" x 34.5"

You can see the trick at around 12 minutes into my appearance on the cable TV show "Capital Magic Tonite" in this video (on the IBM Ring 103 facebook page) where I perform it for the late "Doc" Dougherty who hosted the show:
https://www.facebook.com/338764602812514......&theater

I also taught the trick in a few lectures that I've done in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and DC.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
The first one that come to mind is actually "The jumping handkerchief mouse" very entertaining routine.
Napkin Rose is also very popular.
I also seen magician fold a card in to a frog, and when the spectator unfolds the card changes.