The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Sponge Bunnies Adult Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1043 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Natanel's arrogance knows no bounds. First it was those using sponge matter, and now, he insults birthday performers. I'm kinda wondering what material he finds worthy of being performed by him, and what venues he deems worthy of his presence.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 16:17, Natanel wrote:
I would agree with you that sponge balls are far from the least elegant trick in magic. Just about anything explicitly marketed towards birthday performers is worse.

I will not be mean ... I will not be mean .... I will not be mean .... Okay I have done the TMC mantra.
WTF???!!!?! Ever seen Mike Bent with a standard kid's prop? See his version of forgetful freddy it is a hoot! I took a Run Rabbit run and made the rabbits into Elvis running back and forth between a donut shop and a pizzeria. Your trying so hard to draw analogies between Mozart and Moby. each has it own audience and are not comparable.

You know I hate the old guy/young guy as much as anyone else .... BUT you are making sweeping analogies based upon little experience. Trust me I blazed my own trail in magic and performing much different to others, however you learn not to tick off the people who can help you. It is a very small world ... really small.

Back to relevance to the post ... my version of the sponge bunnies attacks several "no problem" for the average magician.
• there is no sex in my routine, I like it. it doesn't belong in a restaurant.
• My bunnies are white ... Goshman fought me hard on this one.
• My bunnies are thick ... I wanted substance to them.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I hardly think accusations of inelegance merit the vitriol I've been receiving. Many of you perform for children and families and there is nothing wrong with using colorful, bold props in these situations. I never meant to disparage children's performers. I think someone like David Kaye (Silly billy) is absolutely an artist and he is both commercially and artistically successful.

My personal style is a bit more serious, and I do not perform children's shows so I go for a more "elegant" approach. While elegance is very important for the character I try to create I'm sure it is the last thing Silly Billy is worried about - which is perfect for his character.

To look towards the art world: Keith Haring's work is far from elegant, but he remains just as relevant and important as say Chuck Close, whose work I would certainly consider elegeant.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Web definitions for inelegance
the quality of lacking refinement and good taste
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn - Definition in context

Choose your words more carefully! That definition is exactly the same on the first 10 google rankings.

Keith Haring & Chuck Close? A dead graffiti artist and a paralyzed photo realist? And Chuck Close is the elegant one?? Grotesque close ups with bold pigments? Reproducing mechanical methods is usually hailed as Elegant. For photo realist I go with Jim Warren, and not because he is a friend.

I have never seen one of Chuck Close pictures anywhere else but in museums. I have been in houses with Peter Max and Chillui originals.

My friend ... 20 years ago I went to Parson's School of Design in NYC. Art is judged often by which the passion it is delivered. Elegance is in the eye of the beholder. Jack Vettriano painting are regaled for their elegance and style.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Bob Jardine's patter are full of references to adult patter without ever being offensive.

It is possible to be specific without being rude, to be alluding without being gross, to make references without avoiding touchy subjects. Frenc writers of the XVIII century were master at this art and went down in history as the most refined people. Maybe we should learn talent from this type of people...
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I'm paying no attention to the carping on here about what's good what's not.

But - I took note of the Rich Marotta twist on the bunnies mentioned near the beginning of this thread, and today went out and purchased the necessary. It gives a great alternative/second ending to what I previously considered to be a bit of a crass effect (Oh.. and you know what happens when you put a Mummy & Daddy rabbit in a warm, dark place... ) Ok, so the end effect of a shower of bunnies DOES get a laugh, I;ve never liked the line. I changed it to suit myself, but now, I'll bring it back into the act again, thanks to the Rich Marotta bit...

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Natanel, you, like all teen-agers, are still finding themselves, while the grown-ups sit back and snicker, remembering "those days". You seem to be unaware that your attempts at appearing elegant are missing by a mile. You're tearing pages out of the books that move you, rearranging the words, seemingly filling in the dead air with the help from dictionary.com and pasting them in as our own thoughts. And it's all ok. That's what teen-agers do.

But... it ain't working.

Just be yourself and YOUR character will emerge. No need to try to be Derren Brown and Guy Hollingworth rolled into one. It's not you. If you like them, applaud them. Don't become them. You cannot. Learn to be a first-rate Natanel, not a second-rate Derren Brown copy.

So I'll pick your new name. Let's see....

"Nat The Hat"

Be that guy for a while! Yeah, baby!!!!!
Somebody buy that Nat guy a beer!! Oh, wait. He's only 19.
Can we have a cherry sluushy over here for the young man?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Well,

Pick the bones out of THAT, Nat!

:)

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok not to stray away from the original post, but I still havent heard from anyone on a good adult patter. I do not care who does this or not who cares about sponges or not, I like the effect, I use it and it works great for me. So does anyone of the three pages here about ethics and talent please help me with a more ault patter?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is so silly.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
You got two bunnies that end up making babies. This shouldn't be tough to do anywhere from PG-13 to X.

If you need more guidance check the Daryl video on youtube linked to earlier in this thread. That is a script you could use as he has published this routine.
magicianroger
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of magicianroger
Go to a drug store and buy some finger rubbers and finger it out
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL you guys are great. No I know what you guys are saying and I have my routine. I just remember a Member on here a few years ago who gave me one that really waas sweet. I just remember the Tagline being that the Bunny Goes to Town to get something and the lady bunny keeps saying GO TO TOWN JACK! GO TO TOWN JACK. And you would have the spectator say this. I just forgot how it all went.
Servaas Koomen
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Servaas Koomen
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 10:29, Natanel wrote:
Does Derren Brown do sponge bunnies? Blaine? Angel? Cyril? How about the guys from Mondo Magic? Marco Tempest? Alain Nu?

No.

I'm not saying I'm going to be getting a national television show like any of those guys, but am saying I'd like to at least aim for that caliber of performance.

david blaine does. on the segment when he is in haiti
"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what" A.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1697 Posts

Profile of Futureal
You're replying to a two year old post.

- and he uses sponge balls, not bunnies Smile
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Arise and live stupid thread!!

BTW, Eugene Burger does sponge balls too... and IIRC what Blaine performed in Haiti /was/ Burgers sponge ball trick which is basically the rabbits only done with little sponge balls instead of little sponge rabbits.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Gotta love all this Café drama.

If you're into sponge-anythings, perform it. If you're no, don't perform it.

If you're into useful advice and peaceful talking, please. If not, just keep shut.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Anyone seen the video on youtube of the sponge bunny routine done with a small hat and a small magic wand? I think the guy had a british accent... Can't find the video but the rountine was done quite well..
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
andini1
View Profile
New user
UK
93 Posts

Profile of andini1
[Kevinr - I believe the performer on "youtube" was Quentin Reynolds - Irish.]

Personally, I have never liked watching Sponge magic BUT (and it's a BIG BUT) when table hopping I always perform my sponge ball routine at every table - for the ladies! They love it - and the guys usually pay attention.
For adults I prefer the Balls rather than the Rabbits.
To get started I use some opening patter and I also have a line to finish on; but for the rest of the routine I find that the ladies make a better job of it than me - I just pretend to be embarrassed.