The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Sponge Bunnies Adult Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 19:27, Futureal wrote:
Lance Burton definately does sponge rabbits when he does closeup, I've seen footage of his high-end corporate closeup stuff on TV.

I didn't see Angel's name listed in your original message to be honest. Not really on topic, but if the *disastrous* reviews of Angel's new show are anything to go by it's most likely that Criss Angel's show won't be around for long and he'll stick to the camera trickery.

Burton has had a multi-million dollar contract for the best part of twenty years with no end in sight, so it's hard to compare the two. Again, not really on topic however.

Took the words out of my mouth! Thief! lol
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 19:29, Natanel wrote:
^ I agree. I'm far more interested in calling out the rather disagreeable Mr. Riel.

I agree, his post was pretty nasty, and that is coming from me! Uncalled for in my opinion....
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
^Thank you, my own views may be strong, but they are never aimed at excoriating specific people. I know a lot of the guys on here are working professionals, and they deserve a lot of respect even if we have artistic disagreements.

Indeed my first post was a little tongue-in-cheek, because while I personally agree with it I know there are others who don't(and I'm sure this works for their characters), and I hoped it would provoke some lively discussion.

I also never meant to suggest I wish to emulate Angel (I definitely don't), but was trying to make a point about how television magic always seems to be a bit more "serious" something I strive for, and IMHO excludes sponge-based magic.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I am a jerk, but I'm not wrong. Your posts insult people who do an effect that you call "The most inelegant".

Call out Mr. Riel, he doesn't care. Like I said I'm a happy person. If you think your opinion, regardless of it's content and insult level is appropriate, you must allow me the same. You don't think what I said was acceptable? I think I made my opinion of yours clear too.

Life sucks and turn around is a.... well you know.

Also, if I sweep floors for a living, I am still qualified to point out stupid.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Although I must admit that my post was using a torch to warm my hands...

A tad more aggressive than was warranted. Just a tad.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I do like your signature Josh! lol
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 10:29, Natanel wrote:
Does Derren Brown do sponge bunnies? Blaine? Angel? Cyril? How about the guys from Mondo Magic? Marco Tempest? Alain Nu?

No.

Have you seen any of them perform in real world??? I doubt it... So you cant really say for sure

But about the pattern that seems to be forgotten here. Both Bob Sheets and Daryl have very commercial routines with bunnies. Daryls can be even found on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFFGCDF_KXw In my his is best one I have seen. Works well for all ages and has touches for adults as well.
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1043 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
As mentioned in a previous thread, I don't perform the bunnies, but not for the reasons mentioned by Natanel. I do, however, perform a sponge routine using stars purchased from bad to the balloon (balloonguy.net). I found a routine I enjoy performing, which I was able to mold to my satisfaction. But, more importantly, one that my audiences enjoy participating in. If Nathanel prefers not to dirty his image by performing with despicable, vile, unrefined props made from sponge...it is certainly his perogative. I, however, will continue to force my slum-like tendencies on my audiences. How dare I???
patrick
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You wretch!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
To call the sponge bunnies "inelegant" is to ignore some subtle aspects of our art.

I perform the bunnies and it is elegant in its simplicity. But, I agree that not every magician can perform it well.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Grown-ups, like Alan, usually don't have an issue making things like "the bunnies" elegant.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
"Sponge-anything tends to deeply offend my aesthetic sensibilities..:" –Natanel

The topic was adult patter for sponge bunnies. So, why comment here if it offends your aesthetic sensibilities?

Why not start a new topic, something like: "I hate sponge bunnies and other sponge things"
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
gordo
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of gordo
As pointed out earlier in this thread...Rich Marotta does a adult version on one of his walk around tapes (DVDs?) His take on the Bunnies has the perfect adult ending that NEVER fails...I use this all the time! (for adults)

Cheers,
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
While we are attacking sponge bunnies, who uses feather props? Botania anyone? Feather flowers? Raise your hand! Either you hate them or you love them.

There is no doubt that sponge bunnies\balls get a great response from spectators. The original post was for help for resources for patter for this effect. In response to the patter help, almost all of the good bunnie routines I have seen relate to the obvious reproduction habbits of the bunnies. Do not cross the line on the patter and you will be fine. Let the spectators fill in the blanks.

Jamie Salinas
Jamie Salinas
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 12:40, Natanel wrote:
As Danny Doyle likes to say it really depends on the individual performer. My character would not carry around something that looks like it came from the dollar store.

Now you went and did it. I get in enough trouble on my own. My PM box is FULL with people wanting my stupid opinion on this idiotic thread.

So here goes. First, PLEASE do not use my name to make a point. I hate to read PM's.

As for the idea that you don't like them. Perfect. If you can add that they do not fit your performance style, you can not do them convincingly (which is not a shot, I can not do mentalism in a convincing fashion, I just do not have the ability) or that your spacific audience does not enjoy them, I say great. I say a man has got to know his limitations. (not a shot, read my mentalism point above).

BUT to say they offend your asthetic whatever, seems to not consider the audience in an equasion. Your audience not mine. But please do not make sweeping statements about it being right or wrong for anyone else. This is where the problem lies I think anyhow.

Yes do whatever fits your personal style. If you do not want to dedicate an entire pocket (which are at a PREMIUM in close up work) then cool. If you think that you want to seem above it all and seem more "elegant" and they do not fit some sort of style which you are putting forth, no problem. I think your pronouncements about them being "inelegant" across the board is what has ruffled feathers.

I for one absolutly would rather nail my private parts to a burning building than watch an ACR. BUT some great routines exist by some FANTASTIC workers. I make no pronouncements about whether they are good or bad, only I personally don't like them.

You may run into fewer problems if you avoided large sweeping statements.

For the record, when I do close up restaurant work, (which is almost never now but I did it for a LONG time at some very "elegant" places. Places where the app. was $55) I open with them. I can learn as many as 4 people's names, and it is a great way to introduce fun, and not do a card trick. The reasons to do them FAR outweigh the negatives, of which I can think of a few. They are indeed a pain to carry along with other things.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I do know what Eugene Burger says for explaining why he dropped his sponge ball routine. Nat should have reminded that Eugen loves the sponge ball routine and doesn't say he finds them inelegant: he just realized the misfit with his act.

If Nat feels that the sponge balls look like they came from the dollar store, maybe he should think of introducing them differently: as explained in another post a few weeks ago, I introduce them as the new "fashion" make up sponges that Chanel and Yves Saint Laurent are about to launch... Believe me that gets instant interest from the ladies and an instant very elegant image to the balls (I'm using soft balls which helps)

Nat don't get in the trap of projective psychology: what you fear for yourself may not be what other people perceive. My advice would be that you handle your fears on your side not outside of yourself (whether casting it on props or other people) and get fun doing this imagination game (of fooling your own deamons).

Since you are quoting Tommy Wonder that I knew better than the average magicians, you should know that he was never criticizing a trick "per se" but sometimes complaining about the fact that he could not find how to make it work for him.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2008-11-14 03:43, Lawrence O wrote:
I do know what Eugene Burger says for explaining why he dropped his sponge ball routine. Nat should have reminded that Eugen loves the sponge ball routine and doesn't say he finds them inelegant: he just realized the misfit with his act.

I had heard that he put it back in his repertoire, because his audiences kept requesting it. I thought it fit him quite well, although he was probably too close to the routine to see that it did. It's been said that the meaning of communication is the response that you get. His audiences were apparently telling him that the routine did fit him. It just showed another side of him, that's all.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think he uses them as well. Said he TRIED to drop them but kept having to put them back.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Heidy ho.

My guess is that Nat has been reading Absolute Magic.

It's a good book with some very thought provoking points. It's good to be taking into consideration which types of effects fit your performance style (which I think everyone is in agreement on). Too many people go from one prop to the next, looking like they're performing a bunch of tricks they just picked up at the magic shop.

Danny, I think I have to disagree with you on the ACR stuff. I seriously doubt you're correct in that you'd rather have your private parts nailed to a burning building than watch an ACR. But, I do a pretty sweet ACR, and I'm up for taking on the challenge. That would be a sight for AFHV. I'll bring the hammer and nail - tell you what, you can just nail them to a tree so we don't get in trouble from the fire department.

Finally Nat, I must disagree with you in that I think the hot rod is more inelegant than sponge bunnies. Therefore, I believe sponge bunnies are not the most inelegant.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
^ haha. it is true that Absolute magic made a big impact on my magic and my thinking on magic. Indeed, as I tweak my stage act I have to make sure there is not too much Derren Brown and not enough Natanel, as was true in its first iteration.

I would agree with you that sponge balls are far from the least elegant trick in magic. Just about anything explicitly marketed towards birthday performers is worse.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.