The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Sponge Bunnies Adult Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Whatever Mike...I would respond to that, but sadly I'd just be wasting my time. Go on and play the bigger person role, but I'll note how I never attacked you in this thread. It never got personal at all, until you posted that ****. I just said you failed to see my point, which again you just made quite obvious.

Here, I'll spell it out for you. I never said Natanel's opinion was ridiculous. It's an opinion..whether I like it or not, nothing I can do about it. I said it was ridiculous for him to make such a statement that sponge bunnies don't play well for adults, as if it's a fact.

Purist, thanks for the kind words. Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Steve, you are not wasting your time. The Café is about us helping each other.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 20:54, Magic_Steve wrote:
Quote:
Steve, don't mean to step on your toes. But every magician is not the same. I can understand if you like doing it, but some magicians do not.

I understand that, but for Natanel to say not to do sponge bunnies, as if it's definitive is just ridiculous. I was simply posting because sponge bunnies friggin' rock. ALL AUDIENCES LOVE THEM!! I'm sure many more will agree with me on that one.

I agree...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
My top two tricks for adults. This statistic comes from years of doing shows from the same groups. Many are social elitists, business owners, million and billionaires, political leaders, doctors, lawyers and desperate housewives.

(my own version) of think of a card and SPONGE BUNNIES.

BTW mine are not brightly colored, they are white rabbits and have a very hip patter line based upon an old TV show.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
So, with this little survey we can see that MANY of us use the Bunnies in our repertoire!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Does Derren Brown do sponge bunnies? Blaine? Angel? Cyril? How about the guys from Mondo Magic? Marco Tempest? Alain Nu?

No.

I'm not saying I'm going to be getting a national television show like any of those guys, but am saying I'd like to at least aim for that caliber of performance.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
You just mentioned in another post Eugene Burger was one of your heroes, he does a spongeball routine.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
^ Burger is a huge hero of mine, but so is Tommy Wonder and that doesn't mean I'm floating birdcages. In fact, Eugene Burger discusses how he finds the spongeballs very inelegant and has eliminated them from his act several times for precisely that reason.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Let's see.. John Carney does sponge balls, does this mean he's inelegant?
Does it mean that Carney is less elegant than Blaine, Angel, Cyril Smile

If burger has removed them several times, it sounds like he's gone back to them several times as well. Perhaps Burger is actually using his brain and removes them from time to time for a particular reason but uses his brain again and puts them BACK IN because they kick @ss.

Quote:
Sponge-anything tends to deeply offend my aesthetic sensibilities

Are you serious? You sound pompous and arrogant. Are you just reading books or are you learning from performances about what works and what doesn't?

...this thread is so full of BS it's unbelievable.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
As Danny Doyle likes to say it really depends on the individual performer. My character would not carry around something that looks like it came from the dollar store.

I don't see how saying something offends me as an aesthete is arrogant. Unless your wardrobe consists of orange paisley polyester suits I am sure there are things that offend your aesthetic sensibilities as well.

(given the wardrobes of many magicians, I fear I may have spoken too soon about the orange polyester.)
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
You should see my suits

best material ive got Smile
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I think its fine if performers don't do Sponges. We need to be more diversified.

Just don't "knock" em, I think that is what most people mean with their posts.

I think we need to quit trying to "talk" people into doing certain tricks. If you currently do it why do you want everyone else doing it?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2008-10-26 20:00, Natanel wrote:
Yeah. Don't do a magic trick with fuzzy little bright-colored animals for adults.

Don't post when you don't know what you are talking about Nat.
Quote:
On 2008-10-27 12:12, Natanel wrote:
Still I would encourage everyone to make sure that one of the least elegant effects in all of magic (and that is truly saying something)

It is saying you have no idea what you are talking about.
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 10:29, Natanel wrote:
Does Derren Brown do sponge bunnies? Blaine? Angel? Cyril? How about the guys from Mondo Magic? Marco Tempest? Alain Nu?

No.

I'm not saying I'm going to be getting a national television show like any of those guys, but am saying I'd like to at least aim for that caliber of performance.

First, you haven't seen them do one. That means nothing.
Second, you shouldn't be here, you should be practicing for your performance.
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 11:00, Natanel wrote:
^ Burger is a huge hero of mine, but so is Tommy Wonder and that doesn't mean I'm floating birdcages. In fact, Eugene Burger discusses how he finds the spongeballs very inelegant and has eliminated them from his act several times for precisely that reason.

Whaaaa? He has taken it out several times. Duh, he has put it right back in several times.
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 12:40, Natanel wrote:
My character would not carry around something that looks like it came from the dollar store.

Hopefully your character is silent.
Arrogant is thinking your opinion holds more merit than everyone else. Yours is very nifty to Mike, no one else cares what you think.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Well it's nice to see that josh woke up on the right side of the bed. Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I'm just a happy person.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1697 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2008-10-28 10:29, Natanel wrote:

No.

To my knowledge - no, they don't.

But Lance Burton, who makes more money than all of them combined, definately does.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Just a small opinion, but surely many threads all support that it's what entertains the audience, rather than what we like that counts (although I fully agree that there is more than enough material out there to hit both bases quite easily, and you should enjoy what you do). The guy I work with may not like performing rope tricks, and doesn't do them; but he is quick to get me to perform a rope routine because the customers / audience like it.
I prefer performing 'magic' rather than hardcore mentalism, but have huge respect for those that do perform metalism.
Give those bunnies a chance!!
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2008-10-29 00:23, Josh Riel wrote:

Don't post when you don't know what you are talking about Nat.

Hopefully your character is silent.
Arrogant is thinking your opinion holds more merit than everyone else. Yours is very nifty to Mike, no one else cares what you think.

Do you perform regularly in the real world Mr. Riel? I am rather suspicious that you don't.

I have been performing at least two nights a week for the last several years - and I even did the sponge balls regularly in the beginning. My posts may seem acerbic to some, but I assure you they are born of real-world experience and a genuine desire to further the art of magic.

Your posts however seem merely written to pick a fight. At least others in the thread have offered up well-thought reasons why they disagree with me - you contribute nothing but vitriol.

I know it's a rather hackneyed phrase - but you may want to stick to your dayjob.

Quote:
On 2008-10-29 01:18, Futureal wrote:

To my knowledge - no, they don't.

But Lance Burton, who makes more money than all of them combined, definately does.

I have never heard of Lance Burton doing spongeballs, and while he is a great performer that I have much respect for, I highly doubt he makes more then just Criss Angel, who just signed a 110 million dollar contract for his cirqu de soleil stage show.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1697 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Lance Burton definately does sponge rabbits when he does closeup, I've seen footage of his high-end corporate closeup stuff on TV.

I didn't see Angel's name listed in your original message to be honest. Not really on topic, but if the *disastrous* reviews of Angel's new show are anything to go by it's most likely that Criss Angel's show won't be around for long and he'll stick to the camera trickery.

Burton has had a multi-million dollar contract for the best part of twenty years with no end in sight, so it's hard to compare the two. Again, not really on topic however.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
^ I agree. I'm far more interested in calling out the rather disagreeable Mr. Riel.