The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Best "Science" based tricks (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
My list for best "science" based tricks-
Lubor Fiedler's trick with a wine glass using chemical for spook effect
Don Hauss clever new Flow trick
Can anyone else provide their best "science" based magic effects using chemicals,optical ilusions, etc. Thanks.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Psychic Readings -- based upon evolution.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
If the audience you're performing for are not familiar with the principles then both the Bologna Bottle demonstration and the use of Sodium Polyacrylamide polymer can be dressed up nicely to use for magical effect .
swamy
View Profile
Regular user
INDIA
159 Posts

Profile of swamy
"Imp Bottle" is among the early science based trick.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Sands of the Desert...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
mumford
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of mumford
Water to Wine.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
One that I've enjoyed was where the magician blows up a balloon into an empty bottle (that's a trick right there). Then you can let people look into the inflated balloon, pour water into it.. Yet under your control or if you hand the bottle to the spec, the balloon deflates (spraying the water out, if present)

I didn't fully develop it, but I played around with a way to keep the balloon inflated after it was handed to the spec.

This comes off mainly as a joke/stunt, but it could also be played as a look-don't see with children.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Eric Woods
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
115 Posts

Profile of Eric Woods
Prince Rupert's Drop AKA Rupert's Pearls
ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of ceme20
Color changing rose! It is one cool trick when it works correctly. Though relying on chemical reactions is risky magic sometimes.
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
The one I have had the greatest success with is knowledge that everyone can detect chnages in the magnetic field around them if you condition their perceptions. Have a person sit in a chair and stare straight ahead. Take a sharp metal onject like a bar-b-q skewer and thin knife and slowly bring it to about 2" from his/her eyes. You will get his attention -- everyone has a fear of being blinded. Now have him close his eyes with instructions to say "stop" whenever he sense the point exactly 2" from his head. Try it from different angles of approach. If htere is no response, withdraw and try again. You should get at least 90% accuracy. Of course, congratulate the subject on his amazing power.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
There bis a lot of small and large demos to perform that applies bernoulli's principle...

1. If I hold the corners of a sheet of paper that is placed in front of my mouth, and I blow a fast steady stream of air over the top of the paper...what will happen. I have 3 volunteers on stage do it with me (as the question is posed to the audience. The mind of most audiences are generally filled with a misconception when it comes to this simple task. The paper lifts as opposed to staying down. This is a simple demonstration that serves as a great lead to many more demos surrrounding bernoulli's principle.
2. Wind bag demo
3. "Float" a beach ball in the air using a leaf blower
4. Toilet paper Launcher

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 12:40am
I present a diaper to the audience. I cut it in half and shake it over a pan. The white powdery superabsorbent polymer falls out. It absorbs almost 800 times its weight in water. There are several presentation methods that I use. I really buy "slush powder" in bulk since I do so many shows. I usually pretend to cut it and place the slush powder in the diaper. Diapers are expensive. Trust me... I know
WayneL
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of WayneL
My votes go to: sands of the desert and fizz
Raffy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Raffy
My vote is sands of the desert
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Shrinking and expanding head illusion. PK ring effects.

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 11:50pm
Drowning a fly and bringing it back to life is still amazing to me.
Nothing is better than more.
bodybyfood
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bodybyfood
Bernoulli's principle... I used that for a science fair project in 4th grade. My display had an example of the one you mentioned, MagicJim. It also had two apples dangling near each other. If you blow between the apples, they are drawn in towards each other. Another neat effect using bernoulli's principle.
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Rattle back!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Slush Powder and vanishing liquids
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I second M. Lorenceau's contribution to this thread.
But Slush Powder can be used to vanish more than liquid Smile

For a parlour show, I once vanished a goblet of coins!
The goblet (used for a coins-to-glass) had a thumb-tip full of slush powder added, and then under the cover of a handerchief, a small amount of water...! Using the old "vanish a goblet under a handkerchief", the combined goblet/coins all vanished Smile
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
1. Sands of The Desert

2. Bolgna Bottle

3. Flow
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris