The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Friend of a Friend :: Snopes.com -- How accurate are they? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Rhewin
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of Rhewin
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2022, Blaine G wrote:
Quote:
So do you have a better way of finding information to make an informed decision...

Merely saying take everything with a grain of salt. I recall reading a foreign news story that once cited to "The Onion."

Todays top story
"Crypto Confidence Soars After CEO Defrauds Customers Just Like Real Bank." Just for a minute...

What does that have to do with Snopes? Isn't this exactly in line with their recommendation that readers independently verify?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2022, Blaine G wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a site you like better for fact checking?

The site is the round object on top of my neck and a dose of uncommon sense. "I read it on the internet..." Now apply that uncommon sense.
(Kudos to you on your true art)

Logic and common sense are completely useless without facts--empirical evidence. First you need to know what is true and what is not true. Then you apply common sense to the solutions. Checking the validity of your facts is important. Going by your gut will lead to error due to confirmation bias.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I agree Pop -- unfortunately that's what the "researchers" at Snopes or any fact-check site tend to do.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, Schaff wrote:
I agree Pop -- unfortunately that's what the "researchers" at Snopes or any fact-check site tend to do.

Can you give any examples at snopes? They try to correct innacuracies they publish. They offer links to the sources. What makes you think they tend toward bias confirmation?
jericho
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jericho
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:

Can you give any examples at snopes? They try to correct innacuracies they publish. They offer links to the sources. What makes you think they tend toward bias confirmation?

Here's one.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/florid......braries/

The original poster defended his list of banned books until he couldn’t defend it any more, then lied and said it was satire. Snopes went along with him and lied in their rating.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2023, jericho wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:

Here's one.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/florid......braries/

The original poster defended his list of banned books until he couldn’t defend it any more, then lied and said it was satire. Snopes went along with him and lied in their rating.

They rated it False. The publisher said it was Satire, and they reported that. What is your point?