The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Flight (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I could never get into gimmicks like this. Maybe it’s just my style, but it doesn't seem that amazing to me.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The only thing I don't like about the Gaetan Bloom version is the limitation on the size of the ring. I make my own, clip and all. It will take a huge ring. And the victim can see inside the case without being able to spot the gaff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Quote:
On 2002-03-13 23:09, Harry Murphy wrote:
Yak, there are a number of “Ring Flight” type effects that don’t use the leather key case. Most of them don’t use a reel either. They do require a little more slight but not beyond your skill level.

I carry one that looks like a key ring with a leather fob on it. The fob has my initial. It was simple to make and simpler to use. I actually carry my house key and my car key on it. It takes a second to “set” and then is ready to perform. A version can be found for about $10.00 from Meir Yedd
http://www.mymagic.com

Steve Dusheck put out “Ringer” and Bob Solari has his “Ultimate Ring Capture” both of which are fast, easy to perform, no key case, and no reels. Neither has anything to break. The best part of both of these low-Tec ring flights is that they both cost under $20.00 USD.

There was even a neat comedy version that involved a piece of cloth pinned to the inside of your coat. It had a dozen or so rings safety pinned to it. It was shown, the borrowed ring vanished, and then found on a safety pin, fastened to the cloth inside your coat. It was a clever idea. I think Magic Smith carries it. I think that it was called “My Ring Collection” and cost about $15.00. It is another inexpensive alternative to a mechanical version.

DoveMan, the Shoelace gimmick is called “on Foot” it is a borrowed ring to a shoelace. It is the gimmick you are looking for. Try Hank Lee or Magicsmith.

Simply put, there are several good versions on the market that are not leather case based, not mechanical and not expensive.

Just to be clear, the effect Harry is talking about from Meir Yedid is called Ring Thing by Jeff (?) Stewart. I have it and can't say enough bad things about it. It has major limitations and the "reset" is something that is easier said than done. It also has the potential to collapse after being reset if you move around to much, creating problems. This might be good for someone doing a show where it is a one shot deal. For strolling or restaurant magic I would have to pass.

Steve
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
What surprises me is that half way through this thread, Russ very wisely said ...

Quote:
I haven't done a ring flight type of effect because I am too chicken. One reason is because if something happened to the ring I would wind up paying for it. You never know, the stone could be loose and come out. There is no way of knowing until it has happened. Or it could be missing one of the settings to start with. Has this ever happened to any of you?

It has happened to nearly EVERY magician that GAMBLES with a spectator's ring. Even the great Whit Haydn (who I deeply respect) said on this thread ...

Quote:
Be careful to use a clip that will not let the ring fly off. This has happened to me several times over the last thirty years with other clips. The lobster claw clips, if made very heavy and sturdy, shouldn't do this, but as I said, the square jaw of the clip can and has sometimes scratched a ring

Yet NO-ONE has responded to or picked up on these jewels of wisdom.

I was taught years ago by Mike Austin NEVER to borrow a spectator's ring. You have no idea how valuable it is, do you? And even if it's not actually of great financial value, it probably has sentimental value.

If you damage this ring no amount of insurance will cover sentimental value. You have just scratched a ring that has been in her family for generations just to show her a silly little trick for two minutes.

Think about it.

I sincerely believe that there are SO MANY tricks we can do, we don't need to do tricks with borrowed rings. ANY tricks with borrowed rings, that is.

Sorry. Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there some reason folks are not borrowing a key to do this routine?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

The Gaeton Bloom version of Ring Flight has some interesting disadvantages. One that is rarely mentioned is that it looks even less like a key case than anything else I have seen. The reel ring flight cases may look old fashioned, but the Bloom version is literally a key case design that only magicians have ever used. I don't think this overrides the fact that many have used this to good effect. It is something to consider in choosing a ring flight.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stephen Banning,

I have used a squeeze key case for over 20 years for my regular keys. I purchase it from fine leather shops. I have to disagree with you that it is not seen much. Take a look at you mall stores. I am sure you will find one.

Don Alan 1st used this type of key case for his version of Koran's Flying Ring. Ken Brooke put out the Don Alan version.

Harry Stanly's Unique International Studio in England was the 1st to produce the Flying Ring. It was very simple in construction but it works better then many of the improved versions.

The very 1st time I seen this performed was at the Hollywood Calvalcade of Magic in Los Angeles in 1969. Bruce Cervon performed it and blew everyone away.
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-02-12 02:35, wmhegbli wrote:
Stephen Banning,

I have used a squeeze key case for over 20 years for my regular keys. I purchase it from fine leather shops. I have to disagree with you that it is not seen much. Take a look at you mall stores. I am sure you will find one.

Don Alan 1st used this type of key case for his version of Koran's Flying Ring. Ken Brooke put out the Don Alan version.

Harry Stanly's Unique International Studio in England was the 1st to produce the Flying Ring. It was very simple in construction but it works better then many of the improved versions.

The very 1st time I seen this performed was at the Hollywood Calvalcade of Magic in Los Angeles in 1969. Bruce Cervon performed it and blew everyone away.

I'm intrigued. Not completely convinced, but intrigued. I did, by the way own one of these squeeze types about a decade ago and didn't like it. I can't recall seeing it, but I'll take your word that they are used. There are certainly many people who like them.

That is interesting that you mention Cervon using this type of case at one time. On his Ultra Cervon Videos he uses a reel.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stephenbanning,

Cervon originally used a snap over key case as sold by Harry Stanley in England.

I do not have Cervon's videos but the trick is perform as the ring to key case.

Also do not confuse the squeeze purse with only the Vernet/Bloom version. The Don Alan Version uses a squeeze purse and it is no the Bloom device.

Here is the Don Alan "Ringed"

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is the Nemo Ring Trick by Ken Brooke, it does not use a device within the case. So the spectator can hold and open themselves.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is C&M Ring Zing key case. It uses a device made in Italy. It is made in plastic.

Look on the previous page for more images of other ring flites.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is what is considered the best. Sterling's Power Ring Flite.

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is Mark Leveridge Fly Ring from England. THis is a no gimmick version which makes it excellent for table hopping or strolling magicians.

There is one more I possess from the defunct company Supreme in England. Surprisingly it is by a magician in Florida. It also is a no gimmick method.

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
It looks like Bloom's so far is the favorite with 8 votes, followed by Immakulate with 5, then Sterling's version. Although some of the previous posts state that "This is the best version by far", etc., is obviously exaggerating a little, unless you own or handled all of the others, but mentioning that it is a super version certainly counts. And now there is a new effect called Archangel by the Dreamweaver (safety pin) guys.......sounds good.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
I love ring flight, and my favorite is the classic. I do like the car version as well when the ring ends up on the key ring inside the car.
Longhorn
View Profile
New user
Texas
54 Posts

Profile of Longhorn
Does anyone know if Rinky Dinky can be done with larger rings?

The new routine Archangel looks exactly like what I'm looking for. Sounds practical and makes sense.
ludovik
View Profile
New user
france
2 Posts

Profile of ludovik
Hello I am a newest member. I don't speak very good english!!
then my favorite ring flight is the ring flight by gaetan bloom, without reel, and the wallet is on the table since the begining!!!And it' a easy way to do this effect!!!
lud;o)vik
johnloon
View Profile
New user
UK
54 Posts

Profile of johnloon
I have got Rinky Dinky.....I think the effect cant be done with a big ring.
The reel is very weak....
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
I'll throw myself in on the side of Gaetan Bloom!
My motive is that there is virtually NO chance for the ring to get lost or damaged.
With care and the right hook-up, the chance is slim for for the "machinery"-versions too, I know, but I prefer not to take the chance.
Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
bkowkabany
View Profile
Loyal user
I have driven through the hearts of men
266 Posts

Profile of bkowkabany
Anyone have any more info on ArchAngel? I have Dreamweaver and it is a clever routine. I am betting the same amount of thought and effort went into Archangel.
Mentalist by day. Bizzarist by night.