The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Flight (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yak, there are a number of “Ring Flight” type effects that don’t use the leather key case. Most of them don’t use a reel either. They do require a little more slight but not beyond your skill level.

I carry one that looks like a key ring with a leather fob on it. The fob has my initial. It was simple to make and simpler to use. I actually carry my house key and my car key on it. It takes a second to “set” and then is ready to perform. A version can be found for about $10.00 from Meir Yedd
http://www.mymagic.com

Steve Dusheck put out “Ringer” and Bob Solari has his “Ultimate Ring Capture” both of which are fast, easy to perform, no key case, and no reels. Neither has anything to break. The best part of both of these low-Tec ring flights is that they both cost under $20.00 USD.

There was even a neat comedy version that involved a piece of cloth pinned to the inside of your coat. It had a dozen or so rings safety pinned to it. It was shown, the borrowed ring vanished, and then found on a safety pin, fastened to the cloth inside your coat. It was a clever idea. I think Magic Smith carries it. I think that it was called “My Ring Collection” and cost about $15.00. It is another inexpensive alternative to a mechanical version.

DoveMan, the Shoelace gimmick is called “on Foot” it is a borrowed ring to a shoelace. It is the gimmick you are looking for. Try Hank Lee or Magicsmith.

Simply put, there are several good versions on the market that are not leather case based, not mechanical and not expensive.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Hmmm. Smile Thanks Mumblepeas.

I have been thinking about getting the Wedding Ring lock just for the added kicker.
Yakworld.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Mumblepeas, is the trick "on foot" good? I've been thinking of getting it. In your opinion, which version of the ring flight do you prefer? Thanks. Smile
Bernard Sim
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bernard, I have never performed the ring on shoelace. But I do have a close friend who performs it regularly, and I have watched him do it a number of times. He is a comedy magician and gets away with it all the time with ease.

The gimmick itself is clever. He had a running shoe shoelace custom made (instructions as to how to have a special shoelace made for you are included). The gimmick you get is black, matching a black shoelace. It is also low-tec and has no moving parts. A finger palm is the limit of sleights you need to know. There is built in misdirection to do the “dirty deed”. I think that it can be a strong performance piece for the right performer. I have just never tried it.

As to the version that I think is best. I think it depends on your performing style and if you have a strong routine to support the gimmick. The effect is basically the same. Ring vanishes and reappears with your keys. (or transposes with your car/house key). All the gimmicks work to a greater or lesser degree. All take practice, skill, a good routine and a clear presentation style.

First, understand that I started performing Ring Flight with a Viking "Power Ring Flight" over 15 years ago. I still have it and it still works. However, it has jammed on me at least twice and I have had to take apart the mechanism to do some minor tune up at least once. I used it regularly for about 5 years before putting it aside. I prefer a non-mechanical version because I don’t trust the mechanical gimmick to work all the time. You read in an earlier post that one performer’s Rinkey-Dink broke after only a week. I don’t know how many performances that was, but it demonstrates my point.

The second thing I didn’t like about the mechanical versions was the fact that I had to hide a line that was going to do the dirty work. Not impossible just an extra pain.

And the third thing I didn’t like was all the stories of damaged rings from being whipped around the body at the speed of sound! (OK, OK, I exaggerate! It never happened to me but I thought about the issue a lot!).

Finally, I didn’t like the fat, almost wallet-like, key case.

So I built a non-mechanical, low-tec style Ring Flight. I simply gimmicked the ring part of a leather fob style key ring. You know the type, inexpensive wire circle that overlaps itself in sort of a spiral. Twist the key on one end and around the double wire until it pops into place. My gimmicked thing was simple and crude but worked well.

Later I found a much better version of it on Meir Yedid’s web site. Frankly it was cheaper to buy this better built and easier to use version than to redesign my own. It is Jeff Stewart’s “Ring Thing” http://www.mymagic.com/stewart.html and only costs $10.00 USD. Mine was a complicated mess compared to Jeff's. Anyway, I carry “Ring Thing” with me daily. It has my car key on it. I use it to perform Ring Flight “impromptu” with just a little "get ready". I recommend this version.

However, the unit I use as a performance piece in my stand-up act is based on Mike Close’s handling of Gaeton Bloom's “Flying Ring”. Gaeton Bloom’s version uses a leather, pinch open, single key pouch thing. No moving parts. The routine involves two spectators and plays big. If you go with this version, then get the Mike Close “Workers” tape or book (Workers #5) that addresses it. It will be worth the investment. Strongly recommended.

I hope that this helps you in some way.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Wow, what a great post! Smile Thanks for sharing. One thing about the mechanical type of ring flight is that it is very visual. You can see the ring up to the second it disappears. Will probably get ring thing. Thanks.
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
On Foot is a product of the Camirand academy and available directly from them as well. My favorite, Ring Flite routine is available from most dealers. Manufactured by Vernet, it is Gaeton Bloom's "Flying Ring."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mark Alan
View Profile
New user
St. Augustine Fl.
64 Posts

Profile of Mark Alan
I strongly agree with Scott on this one,

Gaeton Bloom's Flying Ring' fills all of my
requirments - well, just one really - o chance of it landing in the chip dip!

I do like Steve Dushecks Ringer...

Thanks ...Mark Smile
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
The clip from Magicsmith on The Flying Ring doesn't look impressive. That's why I didn't get it. Do you guys use the same handling as the clip or are there more ways to accomplish the effect? Thanks.
Bernard Sim
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hey Bernard, I agree that I would not buy it based on that presentation! It was less than basic! It was lame! The routine that comes with the prop is a little better than that one but it is still fairly weak.

However, with just a little thought and some proper routining the effect can be strong. If you can find a copy of Mike Close’s Worker’s (vol 5) or his video “Too Close! The Stand-Up Magic of Michael Close” you will read or see a nice and strong version of the effect.
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Thanks again for the info mumblepeas. Smile
Bernard Sim
lmrmagic
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of lmrmagic
I know the Ronjo Ring Flite is guaranteed. If you have any problems, they will replace it. It shouldn't be loud. Maybe you just got a bad one. Drop them an email at pete@ronjo.com and tell them it's loud. They will definitely replace it for you.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
One interesting thing about Ring Flite -- no matter which prop you use -- is the way spectators remember the effect later.

I did the trick for a school show about ten years ago, and one woman still says to me, "I'll never forget how you made my ring disappear FROM ACROSS THE ROOM and appear on your key ring." She forgot a few little details, and the effect as she remembered it was much stronger than the one I'd actually done!

Jerry
MagiclDave
View Profile
New user
Maryland
50 Posts

Profile of MagiclDave
I find that if you go to your local hardware store and buy the thing that is a retractable chain for your keys, and if you take it apart and replace it with fishing line, it works great.

-Dave Smile
Bascomb Grecian
View Profile
Loyal user
Redding, Ca.
202 Posts

Profile of Bascomb Grecian
I have used the Sterling Power Ring Flight for fifteen years. It is the best one I have seen. Solid, Silent, Reliable.
Welcome to The Magic Cafe'!
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
My vote goes to Steve Dushek's "Ringer."
Fast and easy with a great routine.

You can only get this directly from Steve by email at sduchek@aol.com

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
sebbyg
View Profile
Regular user
Cherry Hill, NJ
119 Posts

Profile of sebbyg
You must remember that whatever method you use, this is “Strong Magic.” The Mark’s ring disappears and reappears on your key ring.

To the layman this is completely impossible and if they have never seen a ring flight type of effect before they WILL be talking about it for a long time.

That being said, Ringkey Dinky is my favorite method because no one I know my age (in my 20’s) carries a leather key case.

The simplicity of the Ringkey Dinky design makes it very effective. I have added a clip type keychain to mine so I can clip it to a belt loop where it can be seen by the audience. I then have an audience member unclip it from my belt loop and hold it up so that the Mark can see their ring hanging there on my key chain – never touched by me – “Strong Magic.”
lawrenceng
View Profile
New user
Calgary
84 Posts

Profile of lawrenceng
Hello all,
Thanks for all the posts. I decided on the Ring Thing (crediting Mumblepeas for his persuasive posts, thanks).
Does anybody have a different take on the routine etc., suggestions, etc.?
I'm grateful for all the help you guys have given me. It really helped a lot!
thanks y'all
lawrenceng
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Don't ever perform Ring Flight onboard ship, especially with a borrowed wedding ring.

(Think about it. It's happened)
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Is the Immaculate good?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I've just bought Immaculate. Still perfecting it, but the mechanics and hook up seem perfect to me.

Cheers

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com