The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Flight (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Harry, I hope you're right. After just making a horrible purchase on the Pegasus, I have taken yet another risk and placed my order for Dick Barry's version. I am praying that his reel does not sound like a V8 engine starting, and that the hook can be opened without having to ask the spectator for assistance. Smile

Thanks for your input, my friend!

Luke
dimosa
View Profile
New user
Belgium/antwerp
67 Posts

Profile of dimosa
@ shield,

I also bought the Pegasus, and you know what? I really like it.

When I just received and played with it, it made some noise like you said before. I modified my ring flight (clip, ring, ...) and now it's perfect! It goes so smooth, NO noise at all!

I also heard 'El Duco' has a great ring flight. I'm going to try that as well, just to see if there's a big difference.

Dimitrios
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Harry,

Thank you for your post on Dick Berry's version. I picked one up based on your post. I like it a lot. This is a nice one!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is a worker right out of the box (unlike Pegasus), and it is one of the most inexpensive reel-based versions available. By the way, I have no ties to Mr. Barry except that of being a very satisfied customer.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Well, he should put you on the payroll then. Smile

Luke
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Any of you guys buy the new Departed Ring Flight yet? Reminds me of Rinkey Dinky.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Monkeyboy007
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
8 Posts

Profile of Monkeyboy007
Quote:
On 2001-12-13 16:34, Von wrote:
I have a Ronjo ring flight that I would not recommend to anyone. The main reason being it doesn’t lock, and it makes a lot of noise.

I highly disagree!! I have a Ronjo Ring Flight and find it to be the best one on the market. I have owned several others over the years (both cheap and the expensive ones), and this one has NEVER broken and is extremely well made. AND, IT LOCKS!! I like it so much that I was afraid that they would stop making them and purchased a back up just in case. ($40) Guess what? I've never even opened the back-up. It's been about 8 years now and hundreds of performances. That's a great prop to me.

Here's the link if you want one:
http://www.ronjo.com/magic/70629601011.html

Check it out!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I've had the Ronjo version and agree that it is a good prop. I discarded it because I didn't like the case and the awkwardness of opening it. I also didn't like the locking feature. I see no value in having a lock on the prop. It is totally not needed and just something else to go wrong at the wrong time. But then, that is just my opinion.

Actually, the old "Ultimate Ring Flight" made by Sterling back in the day was better designed. It had a workhorse, locking gizmo, and was easy to open flat (something the Ronjo doesn't do) to have the ring and keys drop out together. I sold it for the same reason. I didn't like the locking feature, as it simply got in my way. Presently, the Dick Barry is one of the best designed "workers" props. It opens flat, has a plastic coated steel cable rather than a breakable monofilament for the line (no bigger than a monofilament) and uses a nice and easy lobster claw to attach the ring.

However, as with any general prop or class of props (Chop Cups, wallets, Okito boxes, coins, etc.) the "best" one is the one you use with confidence and that meets your unique needs. So, I guess that there is no real "best". There is only "meeting a specific criteria" of any given performer.

I tend to use a non-reel ring flight prop more often, as I carry it with me daily and can perform the trick "impromptu" (and do). The one I carry holds my car and house keys. The reel-based prop is used for more formal shows.

Don't forget that with anything I say/post, I could be wrong.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Monkeyboy007
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
8 Posts

Profile of Monkeyboy007
Good point, Harry... I agree with your comment:

"...the 'best' one is the one you use with confidence and that meets your unique needs. So, I guess that there is no real 'best'. There is only 'meeting a specific criteria' of any given performer."

Once I thought about it... I realized that you are right. Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I know the effect is extremely well received by audiences, but I could never really like the trick. Maybe I just didn't find a meaningful sript to write about it.
Does anyone had the same problem and succeded getting over it?
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Lawrence: Whit Haydn's script is quite good, makes sense too. I think there is a video of it at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RonjoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island NY
138 Posts

Profile of RonjoMagic
Hey Guys,
Just gotta chime in here. Its Pete from Ronjo Magic here. Our Ring Flite has never had a locking feature on it. But we have sold other brands that do have a locking feature in the past.

Our reel is hidden inside the case and can never be exposed by accident.
The keys (& ring) come from a center zipper which can be left opened at all time as not to mess with opening it up. Although I actually like the idea of opening it. It seems more impossible.

Our line is a steel cable coated with a nylon tubing. The clip is made of nickel for strength but chrome plated to match the rest of the clips. The actual brace that hold the key clips to it have been modified with an eyelet added so that the line comes right into the center key area.

Our reel is fairly quiet. A drop of oil and or adjusting the tension screw along with your pocket, will drown out the sound.

We've made this exact style for over 10 years. Years back, the reels & placement of the line were no where near as good as they are today.

Maybe our friend who has one has a bad one or old style, contact me for a replacment!

As far as the lock. We really feel there is no need for it. Pull it out as you are ready to go.

Take care,
Pete
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-10-14 02:33, Pete Biro wrote:
Lawrence: Whit Haydn's script is quite good, makes sense too. I think there is a video of it at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com

Thks,
Whit is as allways very thoughtful, I'll study it deeper and work at making my own script using the way he designed his presentation but adapting it to my close up character. It should end up seeminglly a totally different effect but I will still credit Whit for the basic structure of the plot.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1526 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
El duco works for me,
I also carry departure for those "everday" moments
you can see my el duco ring flight about half way into this........
http://youtube.com/user/mattwainwrightcom
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Matt, I liked your video. Do you find your Departure as useful and effective as the El Duco? What would you say makes one better than another?
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1526 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I think with departure, it almost looks cleaner as there is no case involved - just a bunch of keys
for some reason thoug, I still use the el duco for my more formal gigs
I guess maybe due to it being around for a long time, and having faith in the gimmick
departure doesn't really have any issues for me though, its just the new kid on the block........
matt
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
This one seems to be a hot ticket
http://www.ringflightrevolution.com
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
I have done a fair amount of magic, but have always been uncomfortable about ring flight.

I come here looking for some thoughts on presentation (the topic about Whit's routine seems lovely)

So the first question I am looking for your thoughts on is- How to get their ring into play? "Why" to borrow it.

I'm thinking about the rationale for having to borrow their ring. Does anyone in the Café have some elegant solutions beside "may I borrow your ring for a magic trick?" I'm also a bit wary of the "I'll clean your ring, I'll test the gold" type stuff.

Then, once we've overcome that hurdle (and I know for many people, simply asking for a prop, is not a hurdle, but I am trying to hold to a logical, elegant, intelligent, aesthetic- think Derren Brown) what is the first effect one should do in a ring-flight routine?

Sure, we could just ring-flight right away, but it seems to want a build and some logic. Ring bandit? Ring and string (but again, WHY a flipping shoelace?)

And then, finally, how to handle the crucial moment before you attach the clip. What has just happened that a) draws attention away from attaching their ring to the clip and b) that gave you a logical reason to reach into your pocket to procure the clip prior to attaching?

I'm looking for some masterful thoughts on some psychological principles to help turn this into a masterpiece of entertainment instead of what it could be if I don't answer these important questions.

Thanks for your generous and thoughtful reply
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
A lot of time has apssed since my first post in this topic. I would now recommend Dave Bonsall's Ring Flight Revolution as, by far, the very best ring flight I have ever seen. It is truly a thing of beauty, masterfully made, and he offers a TWO YEAR warranty on it. Just a great, great prop.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Yes but does he make a U.S. key?