The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Ring Flight (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
In your opinions, what is the best ring flight on the market? What type of hooks work best? Thanks. Smile
Bernard Sim
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I can’t recall the actual name, but believe it or not, Sterling Magic makes a really high quality reliable machine. Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I’ve got one from Sorcery which is so so. Lock didn’t really work. Clip is too small. Smile
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Ringkey Dinky is okay. C&M in Tacoma makes an EXCELLENT version (Ring Zing?). But my favorite is Gaeton Bloom's "Flying Ring," manufactured by Vernet.

As to the best type of clip, I'd say a Lobster Claw.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I saw a clip in one of Greg Wilson's Ring Leader. It is kinda unique any idea where to get that clip? Smile
Bernard Sim
mikeylbl
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of mikeylbl
I have a ring flight as well.

I have the "Ring Flight" by Mak Magic "Immakulate"

And well I’ve had alot of great success with it Smile

It’s a leather looking key case with a zipper compartment. It came with two types of clips one is bigger than the other..

My choice is the bigger clip..

It’s easier to hold or clip in your hand.

But.. the action of the reel is well.. a lil noisy.. but I just always cover that up with my patter.

It’s a wonderful prop to have though

Those are just my thoughts on the flight ring in general Smile

Mike Smile
Prophet
View Profile
Regular user
Caledonia, NY
184 Posts

Profile of Prophet
I have had both "Ring Flight" and Rinkey Dinkey. In my opinion, "Ring Flight" is a thousand times better.

I’m going to try to explain the pluses and minuses without exposing too much. But if I cross the line let me now and I’ll edit and rewrite it.

Rinkey Dinkey, does not in my opinion (or the spectators opinion, I have dealt with) appear to be real. The only thing that may help is if you Drive a Saturn, since Saturn’s keys are similar in bulk.

Ring Flight has a very long and sturdy gimmick that I have never had questioned. The gimmick can go behind me from my back left pocket to my right hand. The actual "Latch" is smaller then Rinky Dinkey’s and in my opinion easier to operate.

Also the material attached to the latch on Rinkey Dinkey is cloth based and broke on me after only about 75 performances. Where Ring Flight’s appear’s more synthetic and has worn very well with no sign of wear approaching around about 50 performances. All and all I hope this helps someone if they are deciding between the two.

Yours In Magic

Mike
Yours In Magic

Mike

Smile
If you are new to Magic check out my article
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462185&forum=41
Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a dark and a light side and holds the universe together.
Von
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Von
I have a Ronjo ring flight that I would not recommend to anyone. The main reason being it doesn't lock, and it makes a lot of noise.

I have a ring flight that I think is pretty old, but it works perfectly and it locks. Its made of real leather, its very quite. I bought it from a friend that has been in magic for about 50 years, thats why I think it is very old.

Maybe some one could tell me what brand it is. I could email pics.

See you later! Smile
gagareau
View Profile
New user
Germany (Originaly R.I.)
6 Posts

Profile of gagareau
Hi Greatscott,

You mentioned a "Lobster Claw"As to the best type of clip for Ring Flight.

What exactly is this and where can I find one? could you describe it to me?

I have been designing a Clip for Ring-flight and I think I may have a very good design - and it sounds as if this Lobster Claw could be what I have designed - it's a good description of it anyway.

I just want to make sure Ì’m not wasting my time.

Thanks.

Glenn
Jrlove
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Ca
14 Posts

Profile of Jrlove
In my opinion I hate RINKEY DINKY, mine had broke in a month. I really recommend Gaeton Blooms Flying ring, It’s great.

Jrlove Smile

Its all an illusion
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

a lobster claw is a very common type of hook. Kinda like a big fish hook with a section that stretches across the hook’s opening. Basically, it looks like a lobster claw! This section can be pulled back by a small piece of it that protrudes on the curve of the hook to remove the ring. to put the ring on, you just pop it through. This is difficult to describe--your local jeweler should be able to help you out.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Hi Scott, is the hook the same as the one Greg used in the ring leader? I've been looking around for that type of hook.
Bernard Sim
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

I suppose the best way I can explain it is to tell you that it is the hook on the C&M Ring Zing and on the Vernet manufactured "Gaeton Bloom's Flying Ring," which is what Close uses on one of his videos. If you don't have the video, look through the magic mags for an ad for the Vernet product.

I haven't watched the Wilson video in some time, and I can't remember what hook he used. I'll try to watch it after the holidays when my performing schedule isn't so crazy, and I'll get back to you on this if no one else has by then.
My Lybrary Page
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
Lobster claw hooks are available at any decent craft store. Jo-Ann Fabrics has them, Michael's, and Pat Catan's all carry them. These places carry them for jewelry making. Look in the jewelry and bead sections of the stores.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

There you go! Thanks, Mary!
My Lybrary Page
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Got my ring flight from Daryl 10 years ago in Blackpool. It’s the one with the Sylvester the Jester routine where you file the ring and sparks fly (have taken off the gimmick... too risky for me)

The mechanism works fine and has done so, and the leather pouch looks okay and real...

Give a man a fish... he eats for a day

Give him a rod... and he has the basis for a dancing cane...
P T Flea
View Profile
Regular user
Engelfield Green, nr Staines - innit
194 Posts

Profile of P T Flea
I have the Houdini Ring Flight. Apologies if this product has already been mentioned under another name earlier in the thread.

I have to say it seems well built.

I have to complain about the hook though. It is very stiff and requires a great deal of concentration to use whilst misdirecting. It is often accompanied by a ’click’ because it is so stiff. The stiffness also usually leads to difficulties removing the ring and I have to be very careful not to scratch the rings when removing them.

The clip also isn’t very wide which means a thin ring works a LOT better (lighter, easier to attach, etc). Has anyone had any experience with this flight?

Ken

P.S. I am thinking of changing the clip if I see a suitable replacement, although a lobster claw (if it is the type of hook I am thinking of) would probably be too cumbersome.

Smile
Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgement.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I just found out that the lobster claw for the ring flight can be found in Magicsmith.
Bernard Sim
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Alright, I'm thinking about getting a ring flight and you guys have made it pretty clear which way to go. BUT... I just can't get past the little zippered key case. I think my great grandfather had one of those but nobody carries them today (except magicians). For this reason I'm leaning towards the Rinkey Dinkey. My question to you is this:

Is the inferiority of Rinkey Dinkey (the mechanics) worth it to achieve a modern looking device? Or would you still recommend one of the key case versions?
Yakworld.
Doveman
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Doveman
Does anyone know of a clip that looks like a knot of a shoe lace? I have been looking all over the web and cannot find any such thing. I will have to make my own if I cannot find one.