The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
I'm a very big fan of Richard Osterlind's Torn and Restored Newspaper effect. Its a very creative take on the torn and restored newspaper...

Jeff
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-04-28 21:46, wmhegbli wrote:
Why not use USA News and Report, it is still the larger size, and can be picked up anywhere. Do to News Stands dieing in America, we still have a tabacco store in town that sells Newspapers from all over th country, all major cities.

If you need patter for the out of town paper, just say, I just got back from (enter city of newspaper), I brought back a copy of their newspaper,(while showing newspaper) "as you can see, their is nothing in it!" Gets a great laugh.

I believe you mean USA Today. BTW, wmhegbli. Those are really old lines.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I've been performing the Anderson tear, as I mentioned, for about 35 years. I started performing it in 1975, and it became one of my signature pieces. There's a youtube video of me doing it somewhere.

Regarding preparation time, that is absolutely a non-issue. In fact, when I worked at the Texas Renaissance Festival, I performed the tear an average of 16 times per weekend. My total setup time was about 45 minutes. That's for 8 loaded newspapers and 8 refills. Once you have done the trick a few thousand times, you can set it up in your sleep.

I really like Axel Hecklau's version, but I have been doing my version of Gene's trick for so long that it doesn't make any sense for me to change now. I've got the whole thing in muscle memory. If I change now, I'll spend a year messing it up, and since it's one of my signature pieces, it makes no sense at all to change it.

And to the spectators, they really don't know the difference. Trust me on this.

However, if you are just starting to do the newspaper trick, get Axel's.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
Andersons T&R is free whish I think should be mentioned
Larry Stangel
View Profile
New user
Rhode Island
93 Posts

Profile of Larry Stangel
I had always used The Anderson but adopted Ron Wilson's from "The Uncanny Scott" a long time ago. Preparation time is about the same but if you buy (or get free) a bakers dozen of newspapers you can use all of them (12 performances) with the preparation of a single paper. Not a flash restoration but a great one to say the least and the angles are covered much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7I2bJZITV4&feature=related
"you could look it up" Casey Stengel
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2010-12-10 18:10, Bill Palmer wrote:
There's a youtube video of me doing it somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70C65b5EUKg

Thanks for letting us know. I always love to see you perform my friend.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
I read that about four years ago, the Wall Street Journal reduced its size from 15 inches wide to about 12 inches wide and remained about 22¾ inches long. It is roughly the size of The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, and USA Today. These daily newspapers also reduced their widths.

The Journal's move is part of a broad retrenchment in the newspaper industry. Their reasoning is the costs rise faster than revenues. The bigger size of the Journal reflects bigger problems at the paper since it was hard by a loss of advertising revenue.
In an online article, a spokeswoman for The New York Times said the paper was considering going to a smaller width, but had not made a decision. That was a few years ago. I don’t live in New York so I am not sure if it’s still 14 inches wide or not.

In the last seven years, forty percent of newsprint costs has soared which has resulted in widespread concerns over these prices. This could result in more broadsheets shrinking even further to tabloid size in the next few years as they are being converted to lighter paper stock.

For those that do the Anderson Paper Tear this is no big deal. But, for those that have learned Newsflash, you have to adjust the folding. I have figured out a way to do that with our Las Vegas Review Journal which also shrunk a few years ago. It makes me want to go back to the ever reliable Anderson’s version as folding it to the smaller size is frustrating.
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I do the Anderson and think it is great but would rethink it if I did it several times a week. One thing worth pointing our GA tear is free and you get I get satisfaction in making my own gimmick. For young (poor) magicians a first rate trick for minimal cost is a concideration.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 11:04, brangwinj wrote:
I do the Anderson and think it is great but would rethink it if I did it several times a week. One thing worth pointing our GA tear is free and you get I get satisfaction in making my own gimmick. For young (poor) magicians a first rate trick for minimal cost is a concideration.

Gene Anderson's Newspaper Tear is NOT FREE. If you go it free without paying for the instructions. You stole it, and that is dishonest. We do not promote thieft on the Café.
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
Lets just say there is no $100 gimick to buy and there is satisfaction in making your own gimick. I have two dvd's of the trick so I guess I could I guess teach someone the trick and not burn in hell !
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It not burning in hell, it is going to jail, you have to worry about, for stealing 2 DVDs. Smile
brangwinj
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of brangwinj
I paid for both what is your problem !!!
MagicMoney
View Profile
New user
The World of Magic
12 Posts

Profile of MagicMoney
Wmhegbli is always like that. Sometimes he speaks or writes before thinking !!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 19:22, brangwinj wrote:
I have two dvd's of the trick ...

You did not say you bought or paid for them in this statement, lighten up!!

1st you said the GA tear is free, as I read it that you get your newspapers, gimmicks and instruction for free. Then you said you had 2 DVDs which from your previous statement meant you got them for free. Telling young not knowing beginners that this effect may be available free someplace. Then they would be searching all over the place for free instructions. Brangwinj said on the Café that the GA Newspaper Tear is free, he got it free.

I did not want to lead the unknowing down the wrong path.
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
I would love to see this link, but it appears to be broken. Is there a new link?

ADM+

Quote:
On 2008-06-28 16:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
Everyone, your search is over. I just found the BEST torn and restored newspaper effect, and it's FREE:

Here: http://www.revver.com/video/295903/torn-......evealed/

I love you all.
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Michael Landes
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 10:25, Vangorn wrote:
The Gene Anderson version, from what I hear, is taught in Ben Salinas' Torn and Restored Newspaper (9 Amazing Methods) - DVD . However, it is sold out everywhere I looked. Does anyone know where I can pick it up?

I believe it is is Gene's own small but excellent publication Newspaper Magic, published by Magic, Inc.
this method and the publication above date to the sixties.
Michael Landes
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Michael Landes
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 18:39, Levent wrote:
In my opinion, the best newspaper tear method is determined by how it is used.
If you are not concerned with angles and are just presenting it as a stand alone trick, you would be hard pressed to find one better than Gene Anderson’s. When I first saw it I was a small boy (and still a layman) and was completely blown away by Doug Henning’s presentation on Broadway and on TV. The power of the flash restoration should not be overlooked.

That said, for some it might not be the best choice. For instance the Neal Foster center tear is compact and almost angle proof and can be performed very quickly (which can be useful in a silent act). When combined with a follow up effect such as the production of a dove from the newspaper it is terrific. The point here is that in this instance the paper restoration is a minor effect followed with a major effect (the dove production). Incidentally, some magicians associate this center-tear to dove combination with Lance Burton, but I saw it performed in this way years earlier by Mercer Helms on an HBO TV special in the 1970s.

As for me, I love the Anderson Tear and I performed it many times when I was a kid. But when I became a professional comedy magician over 20 years ago, I switched over to the Slydini news tear. I did this because, it was easy to prepare, the angles were great for comedy clubs and I didn’t care about the flash restoration, because I used it as a minor effect as part of a larger routine.

The same comments could be made about Paul Potassy’s Newspaper Tear. In this version Mr. Potassy frames the trick into a very large version of the Sucker Torn and Restored Tissue Paper effect. And as a result, the flash restoration is not so important, because the primary effect is the sucker finale.

Levent

Absolutely! If you have to pick only one, it would be Gene's, but why do you have to pick one?
For example, for some situations the absolute best, hands down is ......... The Karrel Fox approach!!

A single double sheet, so there is just no place to hide anything. Practically see-through.
No set up at all!
It can be done even close up if you wish.
And at the end you can hand the newspaper out as it is ungaffed and you are absolutely clean.

pretty good. fooled the hell out of me when he did it for me thirty years ago.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Does anyone know which version is used by Robert Harbin in this clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWcCuNYcrc

Is it Harbin's own version (in print anywhere ?) or is he using someone else's set up , with the presentation being his contribution ? It's a great presentation and would still work with contemporary patter about being on a crowded subway .
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
Yes David it was his own version and Harbin published it in Magic of Robert Harbin (pages 23-26). Gimmick lasts for years. His book was published in 1970 and printed in only 500 copies so today you can`t find it for less than 1500 $.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2015, bojanbarisic wrote:
Yes David it was his own version and Harbin published it in Magic of Robert Harbin (pages 23-26). Gimmick lasts for years. His book was published in 1970 and printed in only 500 copies so today you can`t find it for less than 1500 $.

Do you know if the version in "The Magic of Robert Harbin" is the same or similar to the version he published in "Demon Magic" put out by Davenport's in 1938 ? http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/D......p455.htm