The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1252 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I go with Joel Bauer's Tom and Restored Newspaper.
Sets up in a minute; Resets in 3 seconds; You can use standard newspapers, tabloids, even newsletter-size publications; It can be performed completely surrounded.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Once again Levent lays out killer information in a thoughful manner-from theory to practice.

His post frames the methodology with an eye to routining and desired uses/outcomes.

I'm applauding but ya can't hear me.

John J
Prof. Alexander
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Prof. Alexander
Hi
Until recently I would have said Gene Andersons method was in a class of it's own and head and sholders above other methods....but recently I attended a magic lecture given by Alan Shaxon, Presedent of the Magic Circle and bought his method...

From a set up point of view this is amazing - it takes a glue stick and two newspapers and you're ready to go in 3 minutes. The gimic can be used numerious times until it falls apart. The reset takes seconds. So if you are doing lots of performances this is perfect. The flash apperance is very strong and completely baffling. It uses tabloid size newspapers (which is great in this part of the world because there are lots of free newspapers available in this size).

I don't think I'll drop Gene's method (perfect for large format newspapers) but it's great to have another method that is a strong effect and easy to set up.

all the best
Alex
I met this chap at the Olympics. I said to him, "Excuse me but are you a pole vaulter?" he replied "No, I'm German, but how did you know my name was Walter?"
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I think that the Joel Bauer and Alan Shaxon version are essentially the same. I highly reccomend it. I performed the Gene Anderson newspaper tear for years, but eventually switched to Alan Shaxon's version. It's not quite as strong as the Gene Anderson newspaper tear, but it is much more versatile. It is easy to set-up, reset, and has much beeter viewing angles. It also has a great flash restoration.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I still love the original Gene Anderson tear. yes it takes longer to set up and such, but it is so well worth it. The reactiosn are just amazing. The illusion is just so beautiful as to the audience it really does look like the paper restores as the pieces are falling into place.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
I like Slydini's version, takes about a minute max. to set up and absolutely sufficient for every audience.
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
TOTALLY MAGIC
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas,NV
436 Posts

Profile of TOTALLY MAGIC
I rally like fileding west's,

Kyle
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Vangorn:

The most popular Torn and Restored Newspaper is the Gene Anderson version. It is simply the best one there is and the only one that most magicians will use.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
I love the center tear, I believe that's what its call, its from Neil Forster
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Everyone, your search is over. I just found the BEST torn and restored newspaper effect, and it's FREE:

Here: http://www.revver.com/video/295903/torn-......evealed/

I love you all.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It does open some nice possibilities with a person a bit more skilled than the guy on the video.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-06-28 16:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
Everyone, your search is over. I just found the BEST torn and restored newspaper effect, and it's FREE:

Here: http://www.revver.com/video/295903/torn-......evealed/

I love you all.

I already know what some of who are thinking. The answer is "no", that was not me on the video.
Lurp
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Lurp
Andrew Mayne's Tear Down is awesome. 100% impromptu and it can be inspected before AND after the effect; it can also be signed...actually better to have it signed. Based on Jim Steinmeyer’s Incessant NEWSPAPER (with his permission).

I didn't really belive it was going to be all that easy but it is. No duplicates, no gimmicks & no tape. Simple to do and worth the 14.99 price tag over at Hocus-Pocus.

And no I don't work for the guy I just love what he has done with the effect.

Lurp
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I love the Gene Anderson version with a couple of complaints. It takes a while to prepare and it failed on me once. The cement did not hold when I did the restoration and the ripped newspaper fell to the floor. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect the newspaper was the reason (maybe too old). I was hoping this thread held a new improved method or version. I like Andrew Mayne so I'm curious if others like his as much as Lurp does.
thurstonlives
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of thurstonlives
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 11:24, wmhegbli wrote:
Everything Magic Makers sells is only a copy and sometimes a poor copy. I dought you will be getting the Anderson version competely, as they do change things a little.

Im don't usually defeat something unless the product has proven to be great, but In my opinion the videos are well done, with nice shots and Ben Salinas is a good magician and a nice person.
Anyway there are a lot of products that are not only copies as you said like the bill in kiwi by Carl Cloutier or The art of card splitting to name two of them.
All of us should take care of naming those descalifitions, and of course we should be banned telling things that are quite harmful to the economy of people that are working and of course working hard.
Mr Anderson's version of the effect is very nice but it not belongs completely to him as has some reminiscences from other sources.

D
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Tear Down has a whole thread of its own, search the Café.

Walt
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I have the Torn & Restored Newspaper Illusion DVD with Ben Salinas, and after getting this DVD I felt no need to buy any other. The DVD quality is very good and Ben is very clear and concise. Nine different methods are explained. I did not like all of them, but that's not a bad thing.I prefer the Slydini above any other method because it looks best in my opinion. I have also purchased other video's from MM and have no complaints at all. I understand why some have problems with MM, but I'm glad I purchased this DVD.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-03 13:11, MrFye wrote:
I love the Gene Anderson version with a couple of complaints. It takes a while to prepare and it failed on me once. The cement did not hold when I did the restoration and the ripped newspaper fell to the floor. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect the newspaper was the reason (maybe too old). I was hoping this thread held a new improved method or version. I like Andrew Mayne so I'm curious if others like his as much as Lurp does.

I've done the Anderson Tear for 35 years, with a few of my own modifications. If the glue didn't stick, it's not Gene's fault, nor is it the newspaper's fault. You either did not apply the glue correctly or the newspaper was dirty. You can't glue to dirt. Another thing that sometimes happens is that you glue your r_______ p_____ to a loose piece of newspaper. That's a real awakener!

You don't really know the trick until you have discovered all the possible ways to mess it up. Trust me on this. I have added something that I borrowed from Jay Marshall, that allows me to perform this thing practically surrounded.

If you purchase a DVD, get the one from Stevens that features Gene Anderson.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-07-24 08:34, thurstonlives wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 11:24, wmhegbli wrote:
Everything Magic Makers sells is only a copy and sometimes a poor copy. I dought you will be getting the Anderson version competely, as they do change things a little.

Im don't usually defeat something unless the product has proven to be great, but In my opinion the videos are well done, with nice shots and Ben Salinas is a good magician and a nice person.
Anyway there are a lot of products that are not only copies as you said like the bill in kiwi by Carl Cloutier or The art of card splitting to name two of them.
All of us should take care of naming those descalifitions, and of course we should be banned telling things that are quite harmful to the economy of people that are working and of course working hard.
Mr Anderson's version of the effect is very nice but it not belongs completely to him as has some reminiscences from other sources.

D

Could you please explain what you mean here? I have no idea what a descalification is.

If Ben is teaching Gene's newspaper tear without permission from Gene, then he is doing economic harm to the people who sell the original. Has that idea not crossed your mind?

Not all of the MM products are knockoffs. The card splitting DVD was the first one on the market to go into all the detail of how it was done. This is a technique that goes back before Expert Card Technique.

As far as Gene's "reminiscenses" of other versions are concerned, they were mainly in the idea of how the flash restoration needed to be done. It was not a copy of anyone else's work.

I don't know Ben Salinas. I've never met him. But ANY performer who is going to be good at entertaining people has to ingratiate himself to the audience. You can't judge how "nice" a person is by his persona on a DVD. Nothing against Mr. Salinas, you understand, but I've known a lot of other people whose stage and/or television personal was wonderful, but they were real stinkers in person!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
163 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
I seen Gene Anderson perform at abbotts a number of years ago great stuff and his book has a lot of great ideas and thoughts on paper magic