The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Finger/stage manipulation :: Best Torn and Restored Newspaper (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
bojanbarisic
View Profile
Elite user
Croatia
462 Posts

Profile of bojanbarisic
No, it is not the same method. Method in Demon magic book featured "shake" restoration. For 5$ you can`t go wrong, Harbin was a genius.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
All of a sudden, today, they community thinks that having the newspaper signed makes the trick excellent and a real fooler for the audience. Most of the newspaper tears I have given in this forum string is open, and if handled correctly, can be seen as nothing else but simply using an everyday newspaper and tearing it up in the fairest of manner. I actually don't see how having the corner of the newspaper signed makes the illusion any better for the audience.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Only an audience of magicians would think having the corner of the newspaper signed makes the T&R newspaper effect better.
Al Baker said something to the effect that : "Many a good trick has been ruined by improvement."
I think Dai Vernon would feel the same way about the "improved versions" of tricks like "Twisting the Aces."
There have been exceptions to Baker's maxim--but I would guess that they have been few and far between.
And one magician's "improvement" is often regarded as another magician's blasphemy.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
What can I say? The PAULA PAUL Newspaper Tear is my favorite.
Prep time - 1 minute
No tape, adhesive, wire or anything but newspapers.
Show front and back before and after tear/restore.
Only one (EZ) tear against the grain.
Flash restoration (one-handed, by the way)
Make your g*****k one minute before showtime, or one month. The g*****k will not lose its crispness and will spring open right away.
This restoration is as wonderful as the GENE ANDERSON Newspaper Tear, yet so easy to set up.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2015, paulapaul wrote:
What can I say? The PAULA PAUL Newspaper Tear is my favorite.
Prep time - 1 minute
No tape, adhesive, wire or anything but newspapers.
Show front and back before and after tear/restore.
Only one (EZ) tear against the grain.
Flash restoration (one-handed, by the way)
Make your g*****k one minute before showtime, or one month. The g*****k will not lose its crispness and will spring open right away.
This restoration is as wonderful as the GENE ANDERSON Newspaper Tear, yet so easy to set up.

Sounds great . Where can it be purchased ? How much ?

Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Contact Paula Paul at here email address in her profile.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I liked what Joel Bauer put on the market years ago...it's worth checking out.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Joel Bauer "borrowed" the late Alan Shaxon (U.K.) Newspaper Tear, exactly as he sold it.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1913 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In all this discussion, has anyone mentioned the Al Koran "Torn and Restored Newspaper" from _Routined Manipulations, Part I" by Lewis Ganson? Gene Anderson's trick evolved from the Koran trick--and IIRC Gene credited Al in the instructions for his tear. I used to do the Koran trick often back in the 60's. When David Copperfield performed "the Torn and Restored Cue Card" on one of his specials, it was based pretty much on the basic Koran method since the cue card at the start of the trick was not folded the way a newspaper sheet is.

There are many other possibilities open for variations of the Koran/Anderson trick and as far as I know, no one has explored them.

Here are two possibilities:
1) Show a folded white sheet of paper with a half sheet of red paper inside. Tear them up together--and then flash restore them as a simple Valentine Card--like those candy hearts with simple messages on them
http://www.victorystore.com/media/catalo......rs-2.jpg

2) Emcee shows a folded white sheet of paper and a half sheet of black paper inside. Tear them up together--and flash restore them with letters spelling out the name of the next act. (Gene does a lot of emcee work, so maybe he's done this already.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
David, Thank you for asking. I sent you a PM. My e-mail address is illusionesse@hotmail.com .

By the way, for those who bought this from me - I recently made photos of the moves to suppliment the original instructions. Since many of you have told me that this method is now in your shows, I guess the photos are not necessary. But folks who ordered recently tell me that the photos really help. Anyway, you may want to add them to what you already have. If you bought the PAULA PAUL NEWSPAPER TEAR in the past, and would like the photos, just let me know. Please use the same name and e-mail address that you used for your original order
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Been using NEWSFLASH 2. It's great! Not everyone will be doing it because of the price. Great instructions.

Bairefoot
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
Is there any reason the Gene Anderson method can't begin with the torn pieces so I can keep my current patter? I currently use the Tony Stevens No Tear method from Mark Mason but it comes out with sharp creases and is prone to tear easily in certain places.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2017, Maxeroo wrote:
Is there any reason the Gene Anderson method can't begin with the torn pieces so I can keep my current patter? I currently use the Tony Stevens No Tear method from Mark Mason but it comes out with sharp creases and is prone to tear easily in certain places.

They all come out with creases, being you tear the paper into pieces. The only ones that don't is the Pat Page, Alan Shaxon, Elmsley, and others that use the tabloid newspaper.

I find that thinking puzzling, that a T&R should come out flat without any creases. Just don't understand why someone would expect that result. I had a friend once ask that question after I showed him the working of the Neil Foster tear. Even though I creased the newspaper before the tear, why would it be expected the crease I made in front of him, should be gone now. The trick was to restore the torn section, not make the crease disappear.

Even torn and restored playing card effects end with creases or joints in many cases. David Williamson was the 1st to perform a top change to restore the playing card perfectly.

Using that as an example, I guess if you find a way to exchange the restored newspaper for a perfectly non-creased newspaper, you would have a final effect.

Most people do fold their newspapers up to carry them around. You even buy them with at least one fold across the midsection, and most people upon picking them up immediately fold them into quarters to carry them under their arm or add them to other things they are carrying.

I can only conclude this is a millennials thinking of never living at time when newspapers were the only way news was obtained. Not until the 1950's was television invented and offered to the masses. Radio was another method for daily news events to be transmitted. Now we have instant news because of the global Internet.

Receiving the daily newspaper on your doorstep was a common event, folded and tossed to you home. Many purchased a newspaper from a newspaper stand on the way to work.

I have tried to explain newspapers the way they were handled when they were the norm. So why would anyone think that a restored newspaper would be free of creases, is beyond my comprehension.

As for you problem in tearing, I suggest you re-watch the video, and concentrate on the final restoration, you are pulling the wrong directions, and moving to fast. It should be a steady smooth action of the arms, out - down - and up. If you still tearing, reinforce the areas with invisible tape on the back side. Practice until you get the action correct. Don't rush, go for smooth movements.

Hope this helps in some way.
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
Bill,
Thank you for your response. You are correct, sir. I must be living in a dreamworld to not expect deep creases. And on the DVD, Mr. Mason does, in fact, advise taping the critical points. My post was pretty much a waste of time and posting space. Something one would expect from an impatient youngster, not a 60-something-year old.
Time for me to get real and go practice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I guess you would lessen the depth of the crease if you prepare newspaper, then store it open laid out flat. Then just before you go on, fold the newspaper and do not weight it down or place anything on it.

Newspapers age quickly, so preparing a newspaper for each show would be the best solution to the creases you dislike.
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
Great idea.
Thank you very much.
Maxeroo
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Maxeroo
Quote:
On May 3, 2010, Pete Biro wrote:
SOMA's fits his act... I love his presentation, accidentally tearing it to begin. I would guess it's based on Gene Anderson's.

I used to do Pat Page's 10-second Paper Tear, then Alan Shaxon made a simple modification to it (adding a bit of glue stick) which I played with, but dropped it from my act. I had been practicing Anderson's but didn't put it in.

Yesterday I saw, and bought, Andrew Mayne's... he did it in his lecture and to me for a parlor or even close-up situation his really is amazing.

See it at his web site.

No prep, you can ask someone to grab a paper (if there are some handy) Take some sheets, have someone sign the front page, tear it up and re-tear it, handing the paper back to the signee.

Mr. Biro,
How did Andrew Mayne's version work out for you? Would love to hear your pros and cons.
I am considering it.
Thank you.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Andrew Maynes is variation (with credit) of Jim Steinmeyers newspaper tear in Conjuring Anthology. Conjuring is one of the best books in magic ever (as are all of Jim's!). If you have that book... You have the basic handling.

Andrew Mayne does make some unique changes that could be a pro or con depending on a performers style and the performance situation. For a stage performance, Jims original version would be best in my opinion, but for "street" magic, mayne's can be more casual.

I have Jims book and the Tear down dvd and think they are both worth the money.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of wally
Looking for PAULA PAUL Newspaper Tear, I sent her message but no reply, magicwalsh@gmail.com
lucianoristori
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of lucianoristori
I particularly like Ron Wilson's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7I2bJZITV4
Apparently he is using a method very close to Alex Elmsley's which I purchased, both in writing and DVD, and studied.
Obviously Ron Wilson has added something that allows him to do that final display of two separate pages.
I think that is a killer, especially for magicians.
I thought about it and came up with a possible solution, but I would like to compare it with the original if possible.
Was this published somewhere? Anybody would know?