The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Friend of a Friend :: Let's share some of our favorites (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
starzback
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of starzback
Yeah, I was so confused at which gps to get. I wanted one that plugged into cig lighter, text to speech, and that was portable. My friends have the tomtom one xl and so I am looking into that one. Has anyone seen them cheaper than u2buy4less or elex4less? I don't buy from ebay...bad experience, so if you have seen them cheaper than these places, let me know.
Thanks!
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I have two but for now I'll just share one.

My aunt has a co-worker (that's how they start where I'm from) who went on vacation to the caribbean with her husband. They had a wonderful time until on the last day someone broke into their room and stole their wallets and jewelry but left their nice camera. They felt lucky to have all of their memories still intact on film. Several days after arriving home they had the film developed and found photos of the theives dark bottoms with their tooth brushes inserted.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
A friend of a friend woke up one morning with a sore spot on her cheek. Looking in the mirror she noticed a small raised red bump. Over the next several days it grew and became very sore.She went to the doctor who lanced it where upon a large amount of baby spiders crawled out.

A friend of a friends daughter slept over at her girl friends house. When she woke in the morning she had a painfull earache. A doctor exam revealed a large cockroach wedged in her ear.

True story ...a local cop trained his Bloodhound to track and about 12 years ago was able to track a Bigfoots scent over a period of 2 days on his days off. It was in the local paper and I used to see this guy in the local conveince store.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I tried the Pop Rocks and Coke:) All it does is pop all the rocks at once. It is actually kind of a pleasant sting...
So let me tell you how I lost my oldest sister.
My little sister used to have nightmares, so we let the dog sleep in her room.
She would wake up in the dark, and the dog would lick her hand to let her know he was there.
One weekend my parents took me to Vegas to try out as an assistant to Lance Burton. My older sister was supposed to be watching my little sister. She went over to this boys house though and came back late. My little sister was already asleep.
My little sister woke up in the middle of the night and she felt the dogs tongue on her hand.
The next morning she woke up and went in to the hallway bathroom to discover my older sister hanging, gutted, from the shower rod, and the dog as well.
On the wall, written in blood was this phrase: "People can lick too."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
This was my favorite from when I was younger:

"HUMANS CAN LICK TOO
A young teenage girl lived at home with her mother, father and her much loved pet dog.

Being 16 years old her parents decided that she was now old enough to be left alone without a minder while they went out for the evening. Although there was some concern about leaving a young girl in a house all by herself, they knew she was sensible and would behave. And besides, she did have the pet Alsatian dog to look after her and keep her company.

The parents left for the night, leaving Emergency phone numbers and supplies for the night. The girl was thrilled to be spending her first night alone in her parents house and mainly watched TV until 11.00 rolled round.

Deciding she was tired she moved upstairs to her comfy bedroom to retire for the night. Her trusty Alsatian dog following her all the time.

After being asleep for a short time she awoke to a dripping noise coming from the bathroom. Not afraid, but curious as to what the noise was she lowered her hand down beside her bed to gain a little comfort from the Alsatian. She felt the warmth of his soft tongue as he licked her hand, showing her that he was O.K and that everything would be alright. Feeling assured she drifted off to sleep once more.

Waking once again to the sounds of the dripping tap, or whatever it was, in the bathroom she instinctively dropped her hand down to pet her dog. Once again her dog offered up the loyal companionship that only a much trusted and loved pet can, and licked her hand and she once again fell asleep.

For the last time she woke up again, that annoying noise was still going, she reached for her dog but found he wasn't there. Wondering where her parents were at this time of night (it was about 3.30am by this time) and looking for her dog she walked out into the bathroom.

A horrifying sight met her, the dog had been mutilated and was creating the dripping noise, as blood slowly fell and pooled on the floor below. Screaming she ran back through the house and attempted to call the police. The phone was dead, and she turned to suddenly see her parents also mutilated behind her. Her screams could be heard as she looked down at a note written in blood, it read:
"Humans Can Lick Too My Beautiful".

She then runs madly for the stairs only to see a black figure waiting with open arms to catch her."
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
*In a high-pitched squeal*

EWWWWWW!!!!
Great guys... I'll have nightmares forever now!
Mr Deck
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire man who lives in Cardiff.
53 Posts

Profile of Mr Deck
This one is True:
Construction worker Andrew Jepson from Wolverhampton. Jepson was working on a noisy building site at Heathrow airport when a steamroller came up behind him and landed on his foot. The control lever malfunctioned and the helpless driver ended up rolling over Jepson. But amazingly, Jepson survived with only a few bruises and broken ribs, when the four-ton roller should have flattened him. “I can’t explain how I managed to survive it,” Jepson says. “It doesn’t seem humanly possible.

The steam Roller ran ove his whole body not jus the foot BTW. How lucky is he?
Take care all
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
I've been doing storytelling programs on urban legends for about ten years, and have actually had some run-ins with the stories.

Some years ago, my wife went to New Jersey for company training. During a self-defense lecture, someone stated that the local mall was dangerous, because gang kids would hide under your car, slash your ankle when you went back to your vehicle, and rob you. When my wife returned to the Central Valley, she told me that story and said "it sounds like one of those urban legends you talk about."

Two days later, at a mall in Clovis, CA, we met a friend of ours who said she wouldn't shop at the mall in Fresno, because kids were hiding under cars, slashing the fronts of ankles, and robbing people. I tried to explain that it was just a story, and there had been nothing in the papers, but she claimed "they" had hushed it up so people wouldn't stop shopping at that mall, but she knew about it, so she wouldn't shop there.

Another two days later, an article in The Fresno Bee stated that there had been no ankle-slashings at the mall in Fresno, and it was just a rumor.

What fascinated me was how the story had traveled from New Jersey to California intact, with only the location changed. Some interesting details even survived the trip: The attackers slashed the FRONT of the victim's ankle, when slashing the back of the ankle would sever the tendons and hamstring the attackee.

Terrance V. Mc Arthur
The Librician
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Strange but true irony...

Frank Everhart, who made Sam the Bellhop a staple in his act, passed away a few years ago. The time of death....6:54pm.

We will miss you forever Mr. Everhart. Bless your soul.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 01:08, Drakmor Kain wrote:
The most disturbing one I've heard is actually true, woman was on a cruise ship which had vacuum toilets, flushed while sitting down and several feet of her digestive tract were pulled out of her. They docked in. I think it was Vancouver but can't really recall, and she was rushed to hospital where an emergency surgery put it all back. Just recently saw this on a TV Show Urban Legends where they give two false stories and a real one, and reveal which is which at the end.

I heard a version of this (on a cruise ship) around ten years ago...

The woman flushed the toilet and was pulled down into it just enough that she couldn't break the suction. So she yells for help and the first guy to respond (a passenger) happens to be wearing a cowboy hat, so he gives it to her and she places it on her lap to cover herself. A few minutes later the ship's maintenance crew shows up.

The guy from the maintenance crew takes one look at her and says, "Lady, I can get you out of there, but that cowboy's history."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 11:53, 0pus wrote:
OK.

A few of my favorites are The Mexican Pet, Lionel Ritchie's dogs, Bare-butt Skier, and the double-barrelled Roofer/Exploding Toilet stories.

The Mexican Pet was used in a movie; "Adventurer In Babysitting" where the plot-device best friend, having lost her glasses in a downtown bus station, tries to befriend what she thinks is a little cat, only to be told (while she's holding it) what it really is!
Quote:
Here's an interesting question I just thought about: Do miners get the bends? Does it require being in the presence of water to get it? I have never heard of the bends in relation to mining activities.

It's not "water" per se, it's working under pressure. If the pressure is relieved too quickly, nitrogen bubbles can form and cause pain and sometimes death. Mines aren't under pressure so they don't have that problem.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I just thought of one. It's up there with the spiders and the cockroach so brace yourself because this one is also true.

I used to work as a typesetter for a company that did medical newsletters; The Cardiology Times, The Orthomology Times and The Radiology Times. I typed a lot of stories for these three papers but this one stuck in my mind.

Lady goes out camping. It's a beautiful night so she eschews the tent and sleeps under the stars. She wakes up the next morning with a headache centering on her right eye. A few days later, she notices the "floaters" most people have in their eyes, the one she spots has changed from a straight to a curved shape. She sees the doctor and it seems a fly had landed in her eye during the night in the woods and laid eggs which were beginning to hatch! She had to have her eye removed!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
Then there was the Boy Scout who boasted about his wilderness survival skills, who was challenged to spend three days on his own. Really hungry, he swallowed some leathery eggs he found, but it didn't help.. When the three days were over, he claimed to have lived like a king as he lived off the land.
Back home, he didn't feel good, and got sicker. On Saturday, one of his friends dropped by at the house but found the boy dead, with a fully-grown rattlesnake crawling out of his mouth!

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 9:33pm
This one has been around as long as elevators, and even was turned int a "Twilight Zone" episode, but I added a news-linked twist:

A woman has dreams where a black, horse-drawn hearse comes up the drive and stops beneath her window. The driver looks up at her and says, "There's room for one more." The dream happens repeatedly during the night.
In the morning, she takes the train and subway into the city, then gets out at her stop. As she rushes for the elevator, she hears a strangely-familiar voice saying, "There's room for one more." There, in the elevator, is the hearse driver from her dreams!
She backs away, and the doors close. She turns around and heads home, out of New York City, out of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001......9-11.

Unpleasant dreams, friends.
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
"Bloody Mary," "Mary Worth," and "Calling a Ghost" all involved standing in front of a mirror and invoking a name or phrase repeatedly (99 times is a classic number). The ghost appears in the mirror, but tries to scratch you or drag you into the mirror.

Telling that story to Spanish-speaking children, I was told of La Llorona, The Crying Woman, a single mother who drowned her children for love of a rich man. If you call her name over still water, she will appear...and try to drown you.

Clive Barker took the idea of urban legends and the ghost-invoking theme, turning it into a story called "Candyman." It became a movie about a hook-handed runaway slave who would come through a mirror. Now, in African-American areas where I have worked in teh San Joaquin Valley, the children do not recognize it as a literary or movie source created by a British horror writer, but consider it a part of their own folklore!
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
This one isn't anywhere as good as most of the previous ones, but I've heard it a gazillion times and wonder where it came from.

Vidalia onions: "Some people have been known to eat them like apples." I've never heard of anyone actually doing it, but the story just seems to go on and on. Is this true? Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Stmarkus
View Profile
Regular user
Puerto Rico
131 Posts

Profile of Stmarkus
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 20:07, SillverFoxx wrote:
Whatta cool thread! Kay, I'm Irish (if I ever get a pic of me up on here you'll see for yourself), so here's an Irish Urban Legend:

We Irish are very superstitious... especially when you get really far into the country side. For example, the further away from the city you get, the windier (sp?) the roads are. In fact, even in places where the road could have been made straight, it still has an amazing amount of curves and turns. The reason is... ghosts will not haunt a crooked road. They only haunt the straight ones!

In regards to crooked roads, the Chinese also believe that ghosts cannot haunt a crooked road, as there is one road here in New York City's Chinatown, Doyer Street, crooked as a dogs leg and according to local Asian legend, built that way specifically for the purpose of keeping ghosts away... Personally I don't consider it superstion....I consider it fact...

Cheers,
Mark
Antony Gerard
View Profile
Veteran user
Kalamazoo, Michigan
359 Posts

Profile of Antony Gerard
Here is an Urban Legend that in some ways has contributed to one of the highest death tolls in world history. It was started as a Fictional story, later used in a propaganda campaign and over time was construed as truth. Those who distributed it claim that it documents a Jewish conspiracy to dominate the world. Even though the Protocols are entirely a work of fiction and despite the fact that, on many occasions, it has been proven as false, it is still being spread and accepted as true today. Thus the Urban Legend “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” was started and continues to this day.

The Origin of The Protocols

In 1903, portions of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion were serialized in a Russian newspaper, Znamya (The Banner). The version of the Protocols that has endured and has been translated into dozens of languages, however, was first published in Russia in 1905 as an appendix to The Great in the Small: The Coming of the Anti-Christ and the Rule of Satan on Earth, by Russian writer and mystic Sergei Nilus.

Although the exact origin of the Protocols is unknown, its intent was to portray Jews as conspirators against the state. In 24 chapters, or protocols, allegedly minutes from meetings of Jewish leaders, the Protocols "describes" the "secret plans" of Jews to rule the world by manipulating the economy, controlling the media, and fostering religious conflict.

Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, anti-Bolshevik émigrés brought the Protocols to the West. Soon after, editions circulated across Europe, the United States, South America, and Japan. An Arabic translation first appeared in the 1920s.

Beginning in 1920, auto magnate Henry Ford's newspaper, The Dearborn Independent, published a series of articles based in part on the Protocols. The International Jew, the book that included this series, was translated into at least 16 languages. Both Adolf Hitler and Joseph Goebbels, later the Nazi Minister of Propaganda, praised Ford and The International Jew. It is said that Hitler even hung a portrait of Ford in his office to pay homage to him for translating the Protocols into German.

Fraud Exposed

In 1921, the London Times presented conclusive proof that the Protocols were a "clumsy plagiarism." The Times confirmed that the Protocols had been copied in large part from a French political satire that never mentioned Jews -- Maurice Joly's Dialogue in Hell Between Machiavelli and Montesquieu (1864). Other investigations revealed that one chapter of a Prussian novel, Hermann Goedsche's Biarritz (1868), also "inspired" the Protocols.

Also in 1935, a Swiss court fined two Nazi leaders for circulating a German-language edition of the Protocols in Berne, Switzerland. The presiding justice at the trial declared the Protocols "libelous," "obvious forgeries," and "ridiculous nonsense."

The U.S. Senate issued a report in 1964 declaring that the Protocols were "fabricated." The Senate called the contents of the Protocols "gibberish" and criticized those who "peddled" the Protocols for using the same propaganda technique as Hitler.

In 1993, a Russian court ruled that Pamyat, a far-right nationalist organization, had committed an anti-Semitic act by publishing the Protocols.
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
This is another (like The Mexican Pet and Room for One More) which was featured in the Scary Stories series.

Three men share a room in a retirement home, their beds in a line. There is one window in the room, on the southern-most wall. When the man whose bed is closest to the window dies, the other two men move over one bed, so that the man who was in the middle is now next to the wall and can see out the window. He describes to the other man (now in the middle) the wondruous sights he sees: horse-drawn carriages, street carnivals, newspaper men, peddlers, friends and lovers.

The man in the middle decides that he must see these things for himself. He murders the other man by taking a bottle of the man's medication, grinding it up, and tainting his food with it to cause him to accidentally overdose. When he takes the bed by the window for himself, he looks out the window with anticipation. The window is completely bricked up. No one has seen anything out of that window for years.
Graham Ahn
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Graham Ahn
Our dear friends at the KGB and now the SVR have spread some good ones:

- Americans adopt children from third world countries for extra parts - organ donations.
- Conspiracy theories about the JFK assassination were spread.
- Fabrication of the story that AIDS virus was manufactured by US scientists at Fort Detrick; the story was spread by Russian-born biologist Jakob Segal.
- Exaggerations about the CIA involvement in the drug trade. Specifically the silly notion certain populations were targeted.
- The myth of nuclear winter; Carl Sagan's ego was stroked for this one. Calculations and computer models using this errant data (Created out of whole cloth in the bowels by Service A of the KGB's First Chief Directorate, Department X) seed the 'study' of and conclusions reached on the anthropogenic global warming hypothesis.

http://intellit.muskingum.edu/russia_fol......t_03.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Measures
Sergei O. Tretyakov: Comrade J - by Pete Earley (C)2007

Graham
paulleemagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of paulleemagic
Well since I live in Chicago it has to be Resurrection Mary
The story of the vanishing hitchhiker always begins with someone stopping to pick up a beautiful young lady hitchhiking on the side of the road. The young girl climbs in the backseat of the car and passes along an address before falling into a deep silence. When the driver arrives at the house he discovers that the woman has disappeared. He asks at the house and is told that the girl died 15, or 20 years before and always appears on the anniversary of her death. The story has dozens of versions around the world, and in Chicago the vanishing hitchhiker story is known as Resurrection Mary.
There is even a Movie about this