The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Friend of a Friend :: Let's share some of our favorites (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 03:03, Tim Jahn wrote:
I know of quite a few urban legends myself. I was hoping some of you could share a few that you know.

One of my favorites, That I remember from my childhood (25 years ago or so) is about the kid from the Life cereal commercials "Mikey". The story went that Mikey, (Apparently being an extreme sugar freak) Downed 5 or 6 cans of coke and chased it with a few packets of Pop Rocks candy. Apparently because of all the carbon dioxide being released from the candy and Coke, His poor stomach could not vent it fast enough and it exploded!! Mikey of course died from this.

Now this sound kind of funny, But when I was a kid this was a BIG deal. Every kid I knew was afraid to eat Pop Rocks and drink Coke and every parent banned Pop Rocks from their kids candy lists. This went on and was accepted as general FACT for quite a number of years until "Mikey", In is older incarnation (He was about 24 or so in this instance) Showed up in another Life cereal commercial!!! Well...Jaws hit the floor faster than Pop Rocks sales did when the whole incident started. No one could believe it was all a hoax. And a very serious hoax at that. Pop Rocks were actually taken off the market because of this whole thing.

Here's a link to the Pop Rocks website if anyone is interested.

http://www.poprockscandy.com/history.html

It actually has the whole history of the incident right there on the page.

Its amazing how these things can get started and then, Fueled by speculation and fear, They can grow into something that can actually get a product taken off the market.

Well... that's one of mine. Anyone else have one?

Tim

Mythbusters did a show where they did this using a goat stomach or something similar. Stomachs can expand a lot!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
The story of the porcupine reminded me of one where two local idiots went out fox hunting, hillbilly style. They find a fox, capture it, tie a stick of dynamite to the poor creature and light the fuse. Once the poor animal was released, they watched it running around in fright while pretending to chase it. Of course, what they were really waiting for was the piece of dynamite to explode. The dynamite went off alright, but not before the fox tried to escape by hiding under their truck! Bye, bye fox, bye bye truck, and a looong walk home for our country hicks! Smile

My other favorite is the one where two guys were stranded in the middle of nowhere after spending the day doing target practice because the fuse for the ignition blew in their truck (do I see a pattern here?). At any rate, one of the fella's gets a bright idea and uses one of the bullets as a makeshift fuse. Incredibly, it works! As they're driving home, however, the bullet heats up and goes off, wounding one of them in the leg! Interestingly, the Mythbusters did prove that this urban legend is plausible!
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Ryan Reeves
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Ryan Reeves
The most disturbing one I've heard is actually true, woman was on a cruise ship which had vacuum toilets, flushed while sitting down and several feet of her digestive tract were pulled out of her. They docked in. I think it was Vancouver but can't really recall, and she was rushed to hospital where an emergency surgery put it all back. Just recently saw this on a TV Show Urban Legends where they give two false stories and a real one, and reveal which is which at the end.

Going to have to think to think a bit before I decide my favorite..

Though another interesting one was the lawyer who threw himself against the skyscraper windows because they were shatterproof and he liked to freak out the interns with it. That is until the window popped out of its frame and he feel to his death...
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I tried to think of one...but they are all true.

Well there was one but Al Gore has a lock on that nonsense.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 20:56, Preston68 wrote:

Mythbusters did a show where they did this using a goat stomach or something similar. Stomachs can expand a lot!

Yeah I saw it!!! I belive it was a pig's stomach. Just goes to show how popular that particular tale was. Like I said, When I was a kid, It was gospel. No one even doubted it.

Another of my favorites is the story about the kids song "Ring Around the Rosie".
Apparently this song was originally sung about the Bubonic Plague.

"Ring around the Rosie,
Pocket full of posies.
Ashes, Ashes, We all fall down".

The ring is suppose to symbolize the red rings that appeared on your flesh with the onset of the disease.
The pocket full of posies is to symbolize the flowers and herbs that were apparently carried to ward off evil spirits.
The ashes, Ashes part is because they used to burn the bodies of the people who died of the plague.
And the "We all fall down" part is fairly self explanatory.

Now I've read a few times that no one really knows from where the song was originated or what exactly its about. But if you read the lyrics it sort of makes sense to believe that it is about the plague.

Great posts everyone!! Lets keep it going!!!

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Did you know that the Twelve days of Christmas is really a holy song that was made up by the English. I can't remember the whole story but they were held captive by non christians and in order to keep their faith they made up the song. If you study it you will see all the relegious meanings. Jesus is the Partridge in the Pare Tree, etc.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
During the orientation lecture, they told us that on a prior Thanksgiving holiday, some of the workers there packed up a turkey dinner and took it down there and they ate dinner in the diving bell. Problem is, one guy brought a Coke down there with him. No you divers know that drinking a Coke on the surface and then diving is not really a bright idea, but not horrible. But, drink it at depth and then surface, and all that gas expands in the stomach and intestines, and barf-ola. He lost his entire dinner shortly after surfacing.

Last night I was watching a show on Spike TV about 1000 ways to die. The show was actually telling stories about some of the unusual ways people have actually died.

One of the stories was about of group of men who flew to a resort to do some scuba diving. After they were done diving, they flew home. The problem was that it was a private plane and the man flying it was one of the divers. After reaching an altitude of about 10,000 feet, all of the men got a case of nitrogen narcosis, better known as "the bends"! They were doubled over in pain and passing out. The plane smashed into the side of a mountain. THE END! Smile
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Actually nitrogen narcosis is when one dives too deep (generally around 120 feet using compressed air in the tank as opposed to other mixtures) and the nitrogen in the air has a narcotic effect, leading one to feel sort of drunk. It is also called "rapture of the deep".

The bends on the other hand, is decompression sickness (no real medical term I'm aware of) and is a result of Henry's Law of gases whereby the nitrogen in solution in the blood is subjected to a quick drop in ambient pressure, causing that nitrogen to come out of solution (bubbles) and that nitrogen tends to collect in the joints, hence the name.

If this legend of the pilots is true....

1) They're pretty dumb because any diver (and ESPECIALLY the pilot) knows not to fly generally within 24 hours of completing a dive

2) It would be the bends, not nitrogen narcosis (the latter has caused people to try to give a regulator to a fish at depth, but does not cause doubled over pain).

One of the reasons I took a real scuba course of a number of weeks rather than a 1 day resort course - I like my life, and while scuba diving is generally considered safe, it is only safe if you know what you're doing...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 14:36, Justin Style wrote:
Off route 280 in New Jersey there’s a story about an exit off ramp where a horrible car crash happened, everyone died including a little baby girl. If you come off this exit, and come down to the end of the ramp, at the stop sign, then put your car into neutral, it will roll backwards up the ramp. Spooky, weird and if I remember right, it really worked! But then, it was the seventies and maybe we were just very high? Either way, it's a popular story around these parts.

I'm not sure you were high: maybe it's one of those streets where a strange optical illusion occurs. The conformation of the land is particular and what at the sight seems a street going down is in reality going up. Here's an example from an Italian place, Montagnaga: http://stor.altervista.org/varie/mont/mont.htm
The car in the 7th picture is in neutral position, and it's going "upwards". The illusion is based on the angle between the 2 streets converging at that stop sign.

Dave
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1335 Posts

Profile of reese
This one is really true, I've seen it! It's not a Limbaugh...

My friend Joe C. showed me a box of these mummified rats, all in a circle, with their tails all tied into a central knot.

He said it was the "Rat King". I thought it was gross. He laughed and said no, it really WAS the "Rat King"

I know he was giving me shift.

The ****** rats were real though.

How they got that way, I don't know.

It wasn't funny. It was disgusting.

Rat King my A55!
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
The bends on the other hand, is decompression sickness (no real medical term I'm aware of) and is a result of Henry's Law of gases whereby the nitrogen in solution in the blood is subjected to a quick drop in ambient pressure, causing that nitrogen to come out of solution (bubbles) and that nitrogen tends to collect in the joints, hence the name.

If this legend of the pilots is true....

1) They're pretty dumb because any diver (and ESPECIALLY the pilot) knows not to fly generally within 24 hours of completing a dive

2) It would be the bends, not nitrogen narcosis (the latter has caused people to try to give a regulator to a fish at depth, but does not cause doubled over pain).

One of the reasons I took a real scuba course of a number of weeks rather than a 1 day resort course - I like my life, and while scuba diving is generally considered safe, it is only safe if you know what you're doing...

In the story, which was tauted as true, the men were at the resort to scuba-dive, not to take lessons. They also flew home on the same day they went diving.

The story also went on to tell the viewer about the men who worked on the Brooklyn Bridge (at least I THINK it was the Brooklyn Bridge) who would work in a platform that was about 75ft below the level of the river. Upon coming up, many of them would get the bends. Unfortunately, no one at the time knew what it was or how to treat it. Even the designer of the bridge, who went on an inspection tour, came down with it and suffered the rest of his life. I have seen other shows on this bridge that mentioned it as well. Interestingly, another bridge maker in California was encountering the same problem and discovered that having the workers ascend slowly managed to resolve the problem.

You are right about the bends not being nitrogen narcosis. Looked both of them up on wikipedia. Don't know why, but I always thought they were the same thing and nobody has ever corrected me on it.

Here's an interesting question I just thought about: Do miners get the bends? Does it require being in the presence of water to get it? I have never heard of the bends in relation to mining activities.

After re-reading the description for the bends, it mentions all of the above points, including the fact that miners can get the bends under the right conditions as well as the stories about the Brooklyn Bridge and its project leader, Washington Roebling. Here is the link: Decompression Sickness

Here is a link to the show on 1000 ways to die.
soccergod
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of soccergod
1000 ways to die is definately a crazy show. Did anyone see the one where the guy working on his pickup got severed in two by a semi? The stories on this post are very interesting.
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
An urban legend has frequently been circulated that Pia Zadora once starred in a production of The Diary of Anne Frank, in which her performance was so bad that an audience member yelled "She's in the attic!" when the Nazis showed up. Zadora has, in fact, never acted in a production of The Diary of Anne Frank;
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
My favorite urban legend would have to be the one started by four San Francisco reporters in the late 19th century. They were trying to save their jobs, and they were so desperate for a big story, they had decided to make something up.

Most of their ideas weren't feasible, because they all had some points that could be verified one way or another. They finally decided to come up with a story about China, since any facts would be difficult to check.

The story they came up with was that the Chinese government was going to demolish the Great Wall of China in order to open up trade with the western world. They said they found this out from several construction workers from Denver who were passing through San Francisco on their way to take part in the project.

Since the reporters worked for different papers, this story was given credence by the number of SF papers reporting on it. It was quickly picked up by national papers, and the story eventually spread to Europe and, yes, China.

What the reporters didn't know about China was that they were facing a rebellious group that was concerned about China focusing too much on the rest of the world. This group was known as the boxers.

When this urban legend of the Great Wall of China being torn down reached China, this was all the evidence they needed that it was time for rebellion.

The result was the now-famous Boxer Rebellion in China. When it was found that the story was phony, and that it was largely responsible for affecting world events as it did, the four reporters lost their jobs anyway.
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Whatta cool thread! Kay, I'm Irish (if I ever get a pic of me up on here you'll see for yourself), so here's an Irish Urban Legend:

We Irish are very superstitious... especially when you get really far into the country side. For example, the further away from the city you get, the windier (sp?) the roads are. In fact, even in places where the road could have been made straight, it still has an amazing amount of curves and turns. The reason is... ghosts will not haunt a crooked road. They only haunt the straight ones!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 20:07, SillverFoxx wrote:
Whatta cool thread! Kay, I'm Irish (if I ever get a pic of me up on here you'll see for yourself), so here's an Irish Urban Legend:

We Irish are very superstitious... especially when you get really far into the country side. For example, the further away from the city you get, the windier (sp?) the roads are. In fact, even in places where the road could have been made straight, it still has an amazing amount of curves and turns. The reason is... ghosts will not haunt a crooked road. They only haunt the straight ones!

That's very interesting. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder?
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Quote:
On 2008-07-01 23:12, Bill Nuvo wrote:

That's very interesting. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder?

I'm not sure, I just know that ghosts only haunt the straight roads... quite the preventative measure if you ask me!

Here's another little Irish superstition... fairies/sprites/leprechauns/etc. follow very specific travel paths. If you happen to own a house that is built on one of these paths, you have to make sure that your walls have some kind of opening so you do not stop the flow of traffic. People actually have houses where if there is a door or window on one wall, there has to be another door or window on the wall exactly opposite of it so it can be opened and allow the fairy travel plans to continue. If you don't do it this way, the fairies will knock down your wall and blast through the other side. Smile
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
So is that some sort of Irish Feng Shui? LOL
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
Quote:
On 2008-07-02 09:13, Bill Nuvo wrote:
So is that some sort of Irish Feng Shui? LOL

Yah! Something like that!! LOL!
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
My wife and I went to Ireland on our honeymoon. SillverFoxx is right about the roads- not only do they twist and turn everywhere, I don't think I saw a single road sign outside of Dublin. If we hadn't rented a GPS, we'd probably still be driving around, looking for the first Bed and Breakfast.

It makes me think that the spirits only haunt the straight roads, because they get lost trying to find the curvey ones.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.