The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Friend of a Friend :: Ripley's Believe It or Not (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Recently, I was reading through one of the Ripley's books and found at least two items that I know have supposedly been debunked as urban legends. Makes me wonder how thoroughly they really do research the "facts" for their books. It would make me very sad and unable to trust their reports if they can't be relied upon. Smile

Well, I get to be the first poster in another new forum! Smile Smile Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Clynim,

That, then, would be the "or Not" part Smile

Regards, Steve
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
"supposedly debunked" is the stuff of legends too.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
So what were the two items?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Something about the great wall of China and a guy named Robert Wholler.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I would have to look for both of them again, but one of them was the story about the boot with the rattlesnake tooth in it that supposedly killed two or three members in a family when they tried the boot on.

One story tauts it as an urban legend. Ripley's went so far as to name names and, I believe, dates.

I'll look for the other story and report back to you.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
If you've ever been to one of their "museums" like the one in Niagara Falls Canada, you'd see that a LOT of the things they showcase are "fakes," but they aren't exactly claiming them all to be real. It's a glorified "sideshow" museum.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
magicianinja
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicianinja
Ripley's is about ratings and controversy, not about actual fact. FYI.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 01:28, gdw wrote:
If you've ever been to one of their "museums" like the one in Niagara Falls Canada, you'd see that a LOT of the things they showcase are "fakes," but they aren't exactly claiming them all to be real. It's a glorified "sideshow" museum.

That's right.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I always thought that Robert Ripley left it up to you to decide if it was true or not, hence his by line "Believe it or Not". Regardless, it makes for interesting conversation.

Glenn
Bill Rubie
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
61 Posts

Profile of Bill Rubie
Ripley was another P.T.Barnum
When a person starts off a factual statement with "They Say"...

Please ask, who are they?

Bill
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There is a thing in the upcoming Ripley's book about a guy that has eaten more than 4,000 light bulbs! It says that he learned to do it from some sideshow guy and that in one summer season performing in some show in a seaside amusement park or something he ate more than a thousand bulbs. I mean, c'mon. Who is going to believe that?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Ripley lied??? Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Todd...uh...just wondering...how many light bulbs have you eaten?
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
More than 4,000.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Pay attention folks: the answers don't always come quickly, but they DO come!

Thanks, Todd.

I guess I'm gonna have to buy the upcoming Ripley's book.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Quote:
On 2008-06-05 23:26, Police Magician wrote:
I always thought that Robert Ripley left it up to you to decide if it was true or not, hence his by line "Believe it or Not". Regardless, it makes for interesting conversation.

Glenn

If I recall the story correctly, he started out with a newspaper strip and originally called it "Champs... and Chumps." His editor (I believe) crossed it out and wrote "Believe it or not..." and that's the name that stuck. Believe it or not.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You also have to take into account censorship by editing. Charles Shultz (of Peanuts fame) had one of his first pictures published in Ripley's. He drew a picture of his dog (with a note that said; "Drawn by Sparky") stating that the dog ate nails, tacks and screws. Well, someone at Ripley's, fearing that the public might think the word "screws" was a verb and not a noun, changed it to "eats nails, tacks and razor blades."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I will be performing at Ripley's Believe It or Not in St. Augustine on April the 18th. It is the original building that is seen on the TV show.
If you are in the area please stop by.
I will be part of a promotion there so I think that my Performance may be open to the public and possibly free. I will also be on the radio Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
puppeterry
View Profile
Regular user
Sanger, CA
114 Posts

Profile of puppeterry
My baby brother, George the Giant (www.georgethegiant.com), will be performing at Ripley's in Times Square on Valentine's/Presidents Day Weekend (Feb. 14-16). He's not sure what he'll be doing but you know it will be fun and strange, because that's the kind of guy he is!
TV Mc Arthur
The Librician
Fresno (CA) County Public Library
"They don't get better.....just faster."