The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The marquee says... :: Magicopolis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..14~15~16 [Next]
mrs-misdirection
View Profile
New user
Salt lake City, Utah
20 Posts

Profile of mrs-misdirection
Does anyone know of any good magic shows in Utah, Montana or Idaho? I live in Salt Lake so I have seen barry and some of the shows that have come in here but I would like to see what else is out there. And we will be vacationing soon
Thanks Kathy
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Last night a woman came up to me at a restaurant, introduced herself, and told me about having a matinee ticket for Escape Reality. For fear of being late, she had rushed to Magicopolis from her dance class without changing out of her leotards. She told me that our “Runaway Bride” bit made her laugh so hard that what she feared might happen did happen. “I peed in my leotards,” she admitted, “and couldn’t stop. I sat through the whole show with water squishing in my Capezios.”

About five years ago, I found myself in London, when an English guy asked if I was the magician with a show in Santa Monica. He smiled at me, bent his head forward and pointed to a scar on his forehead. “When that ton of steel spikes dropped on you, the loud crash startled me. Involuntarily, to be sure, my head flew forward and I gashed my forehead on the seat in front of me. I bled like a stuck pig, had to press my hankie on the wound to stop the flow. Doctor put in a stitch or two, did a good job, don’t you think?”

What better testament to Magicopolis than knowing our show Escape Reality has the ability to make sophisticated theatergoers pee and bleed. Go to Magicopolis and experience Escape Reality, every Fri/Sat 8pm and Sat/Sun 2pm, http://www.magicopolis.com or the boxoffice, 310 451 2241, is open daily 11am to 6pm.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Steve,

Looks might my travels might bring me out to LA in August. If we're not working, I'll definitely be stopping by...

Ken
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
I am anxiously awaiting your arrival Ken and thanks for posting again on my thread about Magicopolis and my show Escape Reality. I’m proud of my performances and want you to see the show again, and I want everyone else in our solar system to see the show too, because it’s mighty fine. Nobody has to take my word for it, or yours Ken, other posters in this thread seem to love the show, but if you are reading this you might rightly consider these unverifiable, subjective opinions.

I think the only irrefutable evidence is the reaction of you, the reader of this post. See Escape Reality, it delivers the illusions, sleight-of-hand, and mind-reading that you must experience. Go to Magicopolis. Escape Reality plays every Fri/Sat 8pm and Sat/Sun 2pm, http://www.magicopolis.com or the boxoffice, 310 451 2241, is open daily 11am to 6pm. Give yourself over to the experience. And enjoy.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3727 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I wish I were closer or had more travel time to get to see this. I've been a Steve Spill fan for years, and love that style of magic, thinking and comedy. I also cherish my AUTOGRAPHED Magicopolis poster that I've acquired! Now to get it framed!

Steve
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Steve,

I should know my schedule soon. We'll be in San Diego for part of the trip, and in LA for the other part. I'll keep in touch.

Ken
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
132 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
I've seen Steve's show evolve over the years, and it remains a first rate affair that is not to be missed. Plus, his theater is within walking distance of many wonderful restaurants and the famous 3rd Street Promenade, so one can really make an evening out of it (and even more so now that he has a license to sell ya a beer or glass of wine).
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Thanks to all the posters in this thread for “good mouthing” Magicopolis, you are in fine company. Meg Ryan, Lionel Ritchie, Michelle Pfeifer, and Danny DeVito, whose opinions I value, did not seem to be lying when they told me that they loved the show. I know for certain that Albert Brooks and Billy Bob Thornton, who won an academy award for Sling Blade, are fans.

The “Applause” page at http://www.magicopolis.com has a complete list of artists I admire who have attended our little show, Escape Reality, here at Magicopolis. We had a sold-out, laugh-filled few weeks, this weekend, however, we have plenty of great seats… actually all the seats are great, the theater has stadium seating.

Anyway, it seems that good word-of-mouth depends on enough mouths in the audience to spread the good words. That’s why I need your help. See Escape Reality, it delivers the illusions, sleight-of-hand, and mind-reading that you must experience. Go to Magicopolis. Escape Reality plays every Fri/Sat 8pm and Sat/Sun 2pm, http://www.magicopolis.com or the boxoffice, 310 451 2241, is open daily 11am to 6pm. Magicopolis and Escape Reality are rare and beautiful things, let them happen to you.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
259 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I want to be Steve Spill when I grow up and have for a long time. I'm asking my wife to take me to CA from FL on my birthday to see your show Steve. I know it will be more than worth it...

Tony Brent
http://www.herestony.com
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Tony,

If ya wanna grow up to be somebody else pick Brad Pitt or Barbara Walters. When you and your wife make plans to attend our show, let me know, so I can roll out the red carpet… Please leave a message here or PM me.

Steve
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Steve, can you please talk about the history of those great, magic themed, stained windows? I knew them from when they were in that restaurant in Santa Monica--then one day they, and the restaurant, were gone. Years past before I discovered your place by walking by and seeing those windows again. They are truly magnificent.
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Old Man,

Within the realm of stained glass the “Magician Windows” are celebrities. Commissioned by Merlin McFly’s restaurant in 1978, the windows took over two years to complete by the Bonny Doon Studio in Santa Cruz, California. Originally there were nine, each are 6 feet by 12 feet and weigh about 600 pounds.

They depict Houdini, Alexander, Blackstone, Chung Ling Soo, Thurston, Kellar, The Alchemist, Aladdin & the Genie, and The Fire Eater. Two, Chung Ling Soo and The Fire Eater, were sold at auction back in 1993. At the time there were great articles about the windows in the LA Times and Magic Magazine.

I purchased the remaining seven in 1995 when I was planning Magicopolis, where they have been on display since 1998. It is a mind-boggling coincidence that you asked about the windows today as I have just been offered a serious cash offer for them that I cannot refuse. Old Man, who are you? Have we ever met before? Have you seen our show?

Steve
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Steve,

Sorry you weren't there when I rolled by recently with my Good Time, Sunshine, Traveling Medicine Show wagon. I took a side trip to drop by on my way to San Diego were I was performing a couple of shows. I'm more sorry that it wasn't the weekend so I, and daughter again, could catch your performance. Wow, you are selling the windows? What a tremendous loss for us. I strongly suggest that anybody, everybody in California, Nevada, from anywhere, hightail it to Magicopolis to see those tremendous works of art. And of course, attend Steve's show. Support magic, celebrate yourselves.
By now I've watched Steve's DVD possibly twenty times sharing it with many a magi as possible. Funny, skilled, adept, what can I say.
My only complaint is, that the "big" magic magazines overlook Magicopolis in their "review" sections of "what's happening on the town". Get a clue, drive a short drive west of the Magic Castle, turn left on Fourth street and walla!!!! Magicopolis. I would never have thought there was payola in the magic mags.
See ya next trip down, for sure.

Dr. Solar
http://www.drsolar.com
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
This past Saturday night a woman at the bar said, “I brought my girlfriends to see your magic.” I asked if she’d seen the show before, she said, “Don’t you remember me?” I’m sorry, I said, did we meet before? “Well not formally, but we did share a few moments together.” I looked her over, pausing to stare at her lovely legs, which were daintily crossed at the ankles. “Of course I remember you, I’d never forget legs like yours.” It was a lame joke, but the girls giggled, and that was that.

Onstage I saw my leggy girl in the front row laughing. I caught a glimpse of her lovely legs. I was right about one of her legs, it was perfection, but the other was supported by some sort of polio-looking metal brace. The rest of the show I was thinking, what do you say to someone you have, inadvertently or not, offended? “How could I ever forget legs like yours?” !@#$!

I often chat with folks after the show, the leggy girl says “You are so funny.” “Thank you” I heard myself say, “but the joke about your legs was awful, and I apologize.” That young lady, who injured her leg in a motorcycle accident, was so cool, she said she knew I was not aware of her condition and admitted to enjoying the compliment her good leg received. “Well, let’s see, now,” she said, proudly, showing it off by extending it and pointing her toe, “it is a pretty nice looking leg, as legs go.”

Wow. What a great personality, and super attractive too. Were I not already committed to a dynamite lady, who also has great legs, who knows what might have developed? Sharing this incident is just another shameless excuse to get your attention, and tell you again to see Escape Reality, a show that delivers the illusions, sleight-of-hand, and mind-reading that you must experience. Go to Magicopolis. Escape Reality plays every Fri/Sat 8pm and Sat/Sun 2pm, http://www.magicopolis.com or the boxoffice, 310 451 2241, is open daily 11am to 6pm.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Hey Steve,
First thanks for all the great discussion while you were special guest here at the Café. It was awesome! I really enjoyed your DVD and wondered if you ever still perform the 'sprit slate-mirror shard" routine?
Im pretty much busy here in Arkansas right now but a trip to Magicopolis is at the top of the magical 'to-do' list!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Watching Steve in action is an experience that you'll never forget, whether you're a layman or a seasoned professional magician. I've seen tons of performers over the 45 years I've been into magic, and Steve really stands out with his brilliance in so many areas -- as a thinker, comedian, routiner, technician, you name it. If you're ever in the area, I HIGHLY recommend that you check out the show. It'll motivate you to be better.

Larry
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
Quote:
On 2008-07-30 01:23, steve spill wrote:
Old Man,

It is a mind-boggling coincidence that you asked about the windows today as I have just been offered a serious cash offer for them that I cannot refuse. Old Man, who are you? Have we ever met before? Have you seen our show?

Steve

I met you once when my wife and I stopped by. We stopped in because I saw the windows. I had originally seen them at Merlin's restaurant (though I had never gone in). I was wondering where they went when the restaurant closed--and I was glad to see them at your place. Unfortunately I just heard, that you have since sold them. Oh well, I'm sure they were worth plenty and hope that you but the money to good use to keep up your great space (you'd showed us around, I have never seen the show).

On Sat. Aug 30th I'm coming with my wife and 10 year old daughter, my best friend of 45 years and his wife and 11 year old daughter, and my mother and stepfather. I know, from everything I've heard, that we will enjoy the show.

As for me my name is David and I'm just a long time hobbyist (the uncle who does tricks). Though my daughter and I are trying to put together an act to do for groups.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I had the pleasure of seeing Steve's show again last night. What a great place to see an incredible show. I brought along some friends, and Steve couldn't have made us feel more comfortable. I hadn't seen the show in almost a couple of years, and I had forgotten how fun it is. Lots of funny and memorable moments, combined with an incredible amount of audience participation, to make for a fantastic show.

Thanks Steve, for an evening that will be talked about for a very long time.

As I mentioned before, if you are ever in the Santa Monica or LA area, get to Magicopolis....

Ken
abecarnow
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of abecarnow
Steve Spill is a brilliant performer. Forget magic, forget comedy, just go with the word performer. Steve Spill is like the late Sammy Davis Jr., a triple threat, he does everything well.
The show is great.
Best of all, it is wonderful for everyone. It is family friendly.
I have directed friends and clients to Magicopolis, and, without exception, they've had a great time.
If the new Presidential administration creates a Cabinet position for Fun, Steve will head it.

Best,

Abe
The Old Man
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of The Old Man
I posted my review of the show elsewhere, but I'm also putting it here so that more people will discover it:

I'm not the first to say it, but Steve Spill's Magicopolis is a great magic show for the whole family. I went to the matinée last Saturday with 7 people. The age range was from my mom & stepfather (80 and 86), my 10 year old daughter and her 12 year old friend and my best friend, his wife and my wife (her age undisclosed, but my moniker is "The Old Man"). Everyone had a fun time.

The space is very special. There is a bar area, for the evening shows. A candy/popcorn counter and a magic counter where there is pre-show entertainment and, mostly easy, magic for sale. Yes, there is a full spinner rack of Adam's brand tricks. The theater is perfectly set up for magic, Steve designed it for that purpose.

The theatre has a raised stage and 180 very comfortable seats. It works for Steve's closeup slight of hand--Coins Across (while sitting at the edge of the stage with a felt-covered board on his lap), and the linking finger rings (when my mother was shown her diamond ring linked she at first said it wasn't hers [it obviously was], there's always one in every show and it had to be my mother!). And it works for larger illusions--his wife Bozena gets floated, sawn and squished.

Speaking of his wife, she really puts her personality and personal history (an émigré from Poland) into the effects she performs by herself. For example she does the Acme bandanna/banana trick as a lesson in English and learning magic. I have never seen this trick performed in a more charming, entertaining manner. The whole audience loved it. Another example is she does a torn and restored newspaper--yawn. Except she does it while reciting a poem about her experience on a subway. It was perfectly timed and proved the old adage--the best magic uses the trick to reveal the magician's personality.

There were many costume changes for both Steve and Bozena and many funny skits woven into the tricks. They also worked well with the full age range of their volunteer--kids to seniors. Steve had a 4 1/2 year old boy who had a wonderful look of delight during a Miser's Dream sequence using a cooking pot and wooden spoon.

To conclude, this is a complete magic show that (to use a trite but true phrase) the whole family will enjoy. I can't imagine anyone with even the slightest interest in magic not enjoying it--whether with kids or not. I also think the magicians out there can also pick up a pointer or two on entertaining for families. There were a few jokes out there for the adults, but nothing that takes away from the family experience.