The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Ever so sleightly :: Ball and Cone. (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Hi,I'm looking for sources other than the Dai Vernon Book Of Magic for a good ball and cone routine. I like to do billiard work,but haven't gotten arround to doing a ball and cone routine. The Vernon routine is a good basic routine; I just want a little more to help spark ideas.
Zion speaks......are you listening?
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Aldo Columbini has a great vidoe on the ball and cone. Our very own Frank Starsini can supply you with the perfect props for this effect...contact him (Frank) for more info.

Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you can learn it out of the Vernon book, more power to you. It is not correctly described there.

See if you can find Gary Wolfsberger's work on the cone.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Tom Stone. Very creative routine.
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:34, doug brewer wrote:
Tom Stone. Very creative routine.

Is he that Frenchman known for his coin and cigarette work or is that David Stone that I'm thinking of?
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:07, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you can learn it out of the Vernon book, more power to you. It is not correctly described there.

I did learn it out of the Vernon book years ago,but I never gave it any seriuos consideration until now.I know what you mean though;I didn't realize how good the "BASIC MOVE"could look until I saw Vernon do it the Revelations videos.Until then I had never thought that it was more like a modified retention of vision vanish with the cone acting as the fingers of the opposite hand.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
No, he's the Swedish dude. Go to http://shop.tomstone.se/ and look under Deserting The Legion. You can also see the routine on youtube (not sure exact location on that one).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Senor Mardo in one of his little books has some work on it as does Harry
Riser in Feints and Temps.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 17:45, eshdath wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 15:07, Bill Palmer wrote:

I did learn it out of the Vernon book years ago,but I never gave it any seriuos consideration until now.I know what you mean though;I didn't realize how good the "BASIC MOVE"could look until I saw Vernon do it the Revelations videos.Until then I had never thought that it was more like a modified retention of vision vanish with the cone acting as the fingers of the opposite hand.

I learned it from Vernon when he did his $1000 lecture tour. He spent about a half hour teaching the proper way to do the move. Ganson completely blew it. He told Ganson, "You T---- P--- the ball, Lewis."

Ganson said, "You can't do that with a billiard ball."

Vernon demonstrated it, but Ganson refused to put it in the book.

If you can do the basic move, though, then the Wolfsberger idea will be right up your alley.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
If you're going to be anywhere near Fayetteville North Carolina, April 4-6 or Midwest Magic in Chicago on April 7, I've got a Ball and Cone-inspired routine in my lecture. It's a standup, no table, routine called "Cup One". (thought I'd grab that one first)

The routine pretty much relies on the basic move from the Vernon routine, but with the variation Bill described.

If you can't make the scene, the notes will be available on my site, later. See sig.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Hi Bill,I had read about the T.P. controversy between Vernon and Ganson before.The funny thing is that I almost exclusivly use,in my billiard work, a T.P.and a modified finger palm/grip that Al Leech gives credit to Rosini for inventing.I almost never CLASSIC in my billiard work.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I second Tom Stone's routine and damm that doug brewer for beating me to it.
Actually, anything you get by Tom Stone is worth your time.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
I believe Torkova has a Ball and cone routine...not sure if it is print, but definitely a great routine if you can get your hands on it!

Michael
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't want to malign the late Lewis Ganson here, but his descriptions of some of the simplest tricks are so convoluted that it renders the explanations almost meaningless. He was a great photographer, but not a good describer of methods and techniques.

If Lewis and Walter Gibson could have collaborated, imagine how wonderful that combination would have been!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
When I saw Vernon lecture he didn't have the Cone & Ball with him but mentioned that the routine in the Ganson book was wrong. This was because Vernon used holders and Ganson felt that it would be easier for most readers just to work from their pockets.

And no, sorry but my routine is out of print.

Torkova
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's the kind of gratuitous editing Lewis would do. It would have been far better for him to have written it up exactly as Vernon told him to do it, then add in a note that it would have been easy to work out of the pockets.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of snushy
It's too bad Torkova's routine is out of print. It is an elegant combination of the Ball & Cone and S. Leo Horowitz's (Mohamed Bey) Egyptian Ball Mystery from "The Stars of Magic."
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2008-03-28 18:35, Pete Biro wrote:
Senor Mardo in one of his little books has some work on it as does Harry
Riser in Feints and Temps.

I just picked up Senor Mardo's "Routined Magic" from the local magic shop. The cone used is a party horn and the routine looks nice. That booklet is full of great ideas!
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of snushy
Senor Mardo is one of the most under-rated magicians of his era. There was so much more to him than just his egg bag design.
L. Zaslow
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
eshdath
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of eshdath
Thank you everyone.