The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Grand illusion :: David Copperfield Show Reviews (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
INMOTION
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
167 Posts

Profile of INMOTION
As much as I had planned not to go this year, I browsed the ticketmaster today and found 2 seats in row A, so we decided to attend. I was pleasantly surprised!
David was great tonight! He reminded me much of his old self again. Same show sorta and same lines, however his energy was up, and he was totally into his performance. He has taken out the "having my baby prediction routine", however added "ring to air copper baby shoe", which my girlfriend was the spectator, dancing tie and the floating rose routine. What upset me, was I wanted to se portal and he left it out this evening. Not sure why, as he began his show the same, thus stating he would end up on the other side of the world in a blink of an eye. He cut back on the ego trip as well, the show started with all the "David Copperfield TV Bits", however his break period was 4 min in which he showed his fire / hanging straight jacket escape on the screen. Glad I went, and props to DC, for getting back into the groove. His magic is amazing and his performanc style is equally impressive. He had he crowd not only amazed, but kept them laughing and involved throughout. I was 5 feet away, and still have no clue where the car comes from during the lottery effect!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
At my restaurant gig last night an elderly couple told me they were at last night's show in York, PA and just raved about it. They couldn't stop talking about the floating rose routine. I was really shocked to find out this was back in the rotation.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2843 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The first time I saw David Copperfield live was in 1983 at the Arie Crown theater in Chicago - almost 40 years ago! Holy cow, how fast the years go. After the show I bought a poster and he autographed it. It was a great show. Years later I took my wife and kids to see him at the Rosemont theatre, and everyone loved it. I’ve not seen David's Vegas show, but would love to before he retires. Amazing career this man has had.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
He's great...... Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I must catch his Show soon.

Haven't seen him in years.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
George Alexander
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong / UK
71 Posts

Profile of George Alexander
I saw his show this summer. Last time I saw him was in 2007 when he did Portal and Thirteen.

I'm afraid to say, he wasn't good this time. Some very cool effects but his presentations are so long-winded and he seemed totally disinterested. You can barely understand what he's saying and he doesn't come across as genuine at all. As my non-magician friend put it - "he seems dead inside".

I'm sure if he halved his number of performances, he would be 10x better!
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
I saw David recently and was after a long break was quite good and full of energy.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
I grew up watching DC, obsessing over every CBS special. I wore out so many VHS tapes. Caught his show whenever it was nearby. He was a huge part of me growing up. In 2018 I saw his Vegas show and unfortunately as many others have said, the spark seemed to be gone. He went through the motions just reciting his lines, just so depressing to witness. The technical aspects were tight as always but such an unfortunate experience. I hope whatever he was going through is behind him.
JACSer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of JACSer
Without giving spoilers, the vanish or disappearance that D. Copperfield does in his current show (i.e., similar to One, but inverted or reverse) is among the most beautiful, impactful, and cleanest I have seen.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
Agreed. One blows my mind. It’s literally the one effect I could never figure out.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2022, znelson wrote:
Agreed. One blows my mind. It’s literally the one effect I could never figure out.

Don't go searching for One's technique.
You might well be disappointed.

Keep the awe and wonder alive in your heart.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
Yes the one method I’ve landed on is quite literally the most simple of all. And as you at that would be disappointing haha. But my mind is always looking for the technical solution.

I just went back and watched his very early TV specials, ones that aired before I was born or old enough to know about them. I’ve got to say, his appearance on the table in the 1981 special really gets me. For such an old special that effect is so clean I cannot figure it out. The guy has had the same polished skill and delivery since the beginning days. Now all that said, I think that appearance may have the same method as One, but I’ll never know! It’s just amazing.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2022, znelson wrote:
Yes the one method I’ve landed on is quite literally the most simple of all. And as you at that would be disappointing haha. But my mind is always looking for the technical solution.

I just went back and watched his very early TV specials, ones that aired before I was born or old enough to know about them. I’ve got to say, his appearance on the table in the 1981 special really gets me. For such an old special that effect is so clean I cannot figure it out. The guy has had the same polished skill and delivery since the beginning days. Now all that said, I think that appearance may have the same method as One, but I’ll never know! It’s just amazing.

If you are talking about Copperfield's appearance on the Jet vanish TV Special on the steel table with the four dancers and posters, then it is not the same method as One.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
That’s the one I had in mind. Both illusions fry my brain. Funny because I can pick apart almost everything else but these two in particular fool me. Good stuff
JACSer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of JACSer
To be clear, and as Copperfield has explained in several interviews, Copperfield has multiple methods to create an effect. One is a good example, where more than one method (no pun intended) to achieve the effect has been used. But the disappearance in his current Live the Impossible show is quite different from One and equally, if not more impressive. And it has some seemingly impossible-method cancelling touches, for which I am not going to go in details.
znelson
View Profile
New user
Dallas, TX
51 Posts

Profile of znelson
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, JACSer wrote:
To be clear, and as Copperfield has explained in several interviews, Copperfield has multiple methods to create an effect. One is a good example, where more than one method (no pun intended) to achieve the effect has been used. But the disappearance in his current Live the Impossible show is quite different from One and equally, if not more impressive. And it has some seemingly impossible-method cancelling touches, for which I am not going to go in details.

I saw the show a few years ago and I’m trying to remember the illusion you mentioned. I don’t recall a disappearance… my memory is fuzzy, but I do think he made an appearance directly in front of my table, literally 6 inches away. Unless that’s the disappearance you are talking about. All I remember is it happened very early in the show, in the aisle between the first two sections of tables and I was blown away at the time. Nothing was visible in terms of method.

I’ll have to go back and see the show again and refresh my memory.
JACSer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of JACSer
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2022, znelson wrote:
Quote:

I saw the show a few years ago and I’m trying to remember the illusion you mentioned. I don’t recall a disappearance… my memory is fuzzy, but I do think he made an appearance directly in front of my table, literally 6 inches away. Unless that’s the disappearance you are talking about. All I remember is it happened very early in the show, in the aisle between the first two sections of tables and I was blown away at the time. Nothing was visible in terms of method.

I’ll have to go back and see the show again and refresh my memory.

The disappearance I’m referring to happens near the end of the Blu32 routine.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
To be clear, and as Copperfield has explained in several interviews, Copperfield has multiple methods to create an effect.

And that of course is pr…. Yes TV specials may use different or augmented methods, One being an example, but his statement is not true. Performing in Europe he stated he has 5 different methods for flying. Which obviously is not the case…
Sent from my Typewriter
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Does anyone know the current set list of David's show?
jericho
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jericho
I wish David's classic TV specials were available to watch either streaming or on home video. All you can find are horrible quality youtube videos.