The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Watch steal tipsss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of jokerthehoudini
Hey every one

I have chappys tape on watch stealing but I suck well I just started so yea I'm wack but I need some advise I don't know what I'm doing wrong I have practice for on a unbrella with a towel wraped hours around it to give the shape as an wrisk but when I try it in person they feel me taking it ok what ever to make a long story short any advise you guys can give me .

henry
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Some tips that have been useful for me have been

1) Practice on your arm first, then a fake arm, then your friend's arm. Practice over and over.

2) Write a clear script to stay while stealing. If I can go on automatic with the script I can let my brain focus on the watch stealing.

3) Write clear stage directions for the steal. Every action and touch should be planned.

4) Write clear misdirection into your script and stage directions.

5) fail over and over and over.

I'm no expert but these tips have helped me.
jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Ok thanks ill give them a try

henry
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of JaY-JaY Pickpocket
Jokerthehoudini,

This is JaY-JaY here I just changed my username as I got over it quick.

Nick is a good entertainer friend of mine and what he has said should help you out a lot.

Adding to his 2nd point,

Even if what you are saying does not make sense to the audience, this too needs to be scripted. For me, I sometimes say the weirdest things to get off a watch, though these weird statements/saying I am saying to the spectator all is scripted and planned out. Just like what greg wilson says, "I just make it look to the spectators that I am doing magic tricks off the cuff and un-prepared. In reality I have learnt and been performing these tricks with random day objects for 15 years; however they do not know this."

Use this thing idea with your pickpocketing.

JaY-JaY
Check JaY-JaY Out!
www.youtube.com/jayjayentertainment
www.myspace.com/jayjayentertainment
Facebook - JaY JaY 'josh jayaweera'
Love to hear from you!
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
I have been trying the watch steal on my freinds for months but can never get it! It's a difficult thing to master, good luck.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

I have found the solution to your problem Zach...

1 MONTH!

HA.

It take a bit longer than that...however keep practising you will get it.
Check JaY-JaY Out!
Love to hear from you!
jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Ok thnks jay jay ive been pracing a lot when I'm bored so thanks for the help
JaY-JaY Pickpocket
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

NO worries, everyone here is always great with helping others.

There are lots of old posts about pickpoceting. You will find some great posts about pp from previous months/years.

JaY-JaY
Check JaY-JaY Out!
Love to hear from you!
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
How long did it take you to master the watch steal?
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2008, jokerthehoudini wrote:
Hey every one

I have chappys tape on watch stealing but I suck well I just started so yea I'm wack but I need some advise I don't know what I'm doing wrong I have practice for on a unbrella with a towel wraped hours around it to give the shape as an wrisk but when I try it in person they feel me taking it ok what ever to make a long story short any advise you guys can give me .

henry

Hi! Where did you buy Chappy's tapes? Thanks Smile
cc-magic
View Profile
New user
las vegas
80 Posts

Profile of cc-magic
Henry,

Your misdiection is key. Use your voice, hand gestures, eyes, solid magic effects, humor, and body position to focus your spectator on something besides the steal. All these elements combine to engage them in the magic routine that allows the watch steal to go unnoticed.

Keep practicing and you will get it.

Trust me, it is worth it.

Charles Bach
ARandomWizard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ARandomWizard
I found this post useful when learning the watch steal so I thought I'd contribute.

The routine I personally use when doing it is coin under watch. This also lets me examine their watch and feel the material it's made out of. I then go into the good old jumping coin and take the watch. I feel that if you go straight into the steal before you do some kind of opener it can seem like you're invading their space. If you do a trick first, no matter how simple, when you do the next one they trust you more and are more relaxed.

Hope this helps somebody.