The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Time travel (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Interesting film and cast including the guy who played Odd Job in Goldfinger. Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EimxJAcoU8
There was a flood of awkward SciFi from that time including a Japanese series with a flying submarine. Most of which are not shown anymore. Marine Boy was chewing gum and Tobor had something that looked like cigarettes. Dodo was on Saturday mornings and Kimba on weekday afternoons in syndication. Do you remember the uncomfortable reactions to that first Star Trek episode? I can remember as far back as the second season when it was shown after Tarzan.

? at 1:05:02 a character uses the words "another dimension" - sounds familiar Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I would go ahead and not do it because temporal paradox and history is cyclical anyway.
Time travel is a horrible idea.
Now if someone can invent a way for humanity to actually learn from history I'll be on board for that. Like maybe we don't recreate the conditions that precipitated the Great Depression. That would be cool. We could do that now. Let's do that now.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
. . . including a Japanese series with a flying submarine.

The Japanese weren't the only ones with a flying submarine.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
There was one short story I remember from a pulp magazine that I thought was time travel--at first. But it was not. Instead it had to do with optometry. Due to the bizarre results of a concussion, the man's eyes were damaged in such a way that he saw things several seconds too late. As a result, he was "blind" in a sense. For example,when "blind," he bumps into a chair, but he does not see himself doing that until several seconds later. I don't remember the story's title, but maybe somebody else might recall.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2017, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
You notice the "mandela effect" always seems to happen to people who have been out of the loop for quite a while?

No, I don't ... what I notice is the faster information travels, the more mandela effects are noticed.

-JoeJoe

Actually, I just hit one! There is a James Bond movie; "Moonraker." The character "Jaws" from the previous film ("The Spy Who Loved Me") is helped out of the wreckage by a small Bavarian woman. She smiles at him and EVERYBODY remembers that she had braces. It even says in the promotional material that she has braces. But the prints that are distributed don't show braces at all! What the hey?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
In watching Time Tunnel lately, I noticed that in one episode, Tony and Doug are caught in a cave-in so their clothes get all soiled. At that point, they get caught up in the time-vortex again. When they re-emerge from the time vortex, their clothes are all immaculately clean again! By golly I did not know that the Time Tunnel had a wash-and-rinse cycle.

If you want a "technobabble" answer, any grime they picked up belonged in the era they'd just left and so was left behind. They, and their clothes had been treated by a process, (I remember Doug giving the information to a rival Time Tunnel group) so it's presumed that that would be why they are able to travel through time.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, critter wrote:
I would go ahead and not do it because temporal paradox and history is cyclical anyway.
Time travel is a horrible idea.
Now if someone can invent a way for humanity to actually learn from history I'll be on board for that. Like maybe we don't recreate the conditions that precipitated the Great Depression. That would be cool. We could do that now. Let's do that now.

In his "Discworld" series, Terry Pratchett had an explanation as to why history seem "cyclical." It turns out, at some point in time, something terrible happened and a group called "The Monks of History" were barely able to fix thing by taking "time" from the past and patching it into the present. Thus, you get the impression that "all this has happened before."

In his book, "The Night Watch," Watch Commander Samuel Vimes is remembering an event that happened in his past. While chasing down a homicidal lunatic, Vimes finds himself, along with said lunatic, 20 years in the past! The presence of the madman changes history insofar as Vimes mentor gets killed and Vimes has to take the role of mentor, teaching the younger him how to be a proper Watchman! The Monks of Hisotry show up, and warn him that he has to minimize whatever changes he makes in this timeline or there may not BE a "present" to return him to! But Vimes wants to prevent the tragedy that happened to him on that day.

The Monks of History also show up in "Thief of Time" in which the titular thief and a watchmaker have a more... intwined past then they are aware.

Also "Small Gods," in which a god has been reduced to one worshipper, and must use him as a prophet to regain his power. It turns out at the end that a minor character in the story was actually chief Monk of History agent Lu-Tze, (Tze is a major character is both of the other books), who has a tendency to follow the "spirt" of his instructions... if not the "letter."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
“Hegel remarks somewhere that all great, world-historical facts and personages occur, as it were, twice. He has forgotten to add: the first time as tragedy, the second as farce.”
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2021, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 13, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
In watching Time Tunnel lately, I noticed that in one episode, Tony and Doug are caught in a cave-in so their clothes get all soiled. At that point, they get caught up in the time-vortex again. When they re-emerge from the time vortex, their clothes are all immaculately clean again! By golly I did not know that the Time Tunnel had a wash-and-rinse cycle.

If you want a "technobabble" answer, any grime they picked up belonged in the era they'd just left and so was left behind.

Sounds plausible, Ed. I'll buy that answer.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You notice the "mandela effect" always seems to happen to people who have been out of the loop for quite a while?

No, I don't ... what I notice is the faster information travels, the more mandela effects are noticed.

-JoeJoe

Actually, I just hit one! There is a James Bond movie; "Moonraker." The character "Jaws" from the previous film ("The Spy Who Loved Me") is helped out of the wreckage by a small Bavarian woman. She smiles at him and EVERYBODY remembers that she had braces. It even says in the promotional material that she has braces. But the prints that are distributed don't show braces at all! What the hey?

? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCFLgDsqh6Q
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Nice catch,Jonathan. In my own case, the Mandela effect was actually personal. Because for a long time,I always thought that the very first time I bought an issue of Morbius the Living Vampire was during the 1960s (specifically issue #20 of Adventure Into Fear). And then I find out years (decades!) later that the issue is dated 1974! And yet I still swear I had that issue in the 1960s because I can still visualize reading that issue in my previous home which was located in a different city!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2021, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-JoeJoe

Cool! Thanks. So, then the question remains, why reshoot it without the braces and claim they don't exist?
(And... she WAS a HEALTHY child, wasn't she?)
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Man claims to be actual time traveler from the Year 2027.
https://www.news18.com/news/buzz/tiktoke......234.html
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I can time travel.
I just travel forward in time second by second.
😊✌
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I always thought of my car or truck as a time traveling machine. What would normally take hours to walk only takes a matter of minutes to drive.... I mean time travel!

Good magic to all,

Eric
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2021, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2021, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

-JoeJoe

Cool! Thanks. So, then the question remains, why reshoot it without the braces and claim they don't exist?
(And... she WAS a HEALTHY child, wasn't she?)

I can't find the reference now, but it's been said that MGM felt the braces made Dolly look too young and gave Jaw's attraction to her a creepy vibe.

Another reason for removing the braces in the early scene, is that Dolly really ISN'T wearing braces later in the movie.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Doctor Who is trying a Groudhog Day type story for New Years.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Yeah, I'm having trouble finding Dr. Who these days. All I have is my DVDs of Baker. (Oh, and the Ecchelson/Tennant series)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

BBCA all this week up to the new episode 2pm Saturday.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
NEW research on perceptual illusion provides insight into Time-perception:
https://www.psypost.org/2022/03/psycholo......on-62770