The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: 21st Century Phantom by Oz Pearlman (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK who has the skinny on this, I have not heard from OZ in a good while and now it seems that he is back in our eyes and hitting really hard. I love magic and love movies, So by the demo alone I am adding it to cart along with Perfection. Anyone else know about this? And do my buisness cards have to be of a specific anything?
Castle2369
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston, MA
207 Posts

Profile of Castle2369
I just ordered 21st Century Phantom, but I will gladly post an honest review as soon as I receive it.

-Erick
Creator of the Gallerian Bend
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Nice looking effect, but not really my cup of tea. Just seems like it's one of those that to anything close to a skeptical audience, it cries set up or gimmick. I prefer the stuff where while there might be a gimmick, it is not part of the reveal. It would be a tool only...

But, for the right audience, looks like a fun routine.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Uh, I don't think there is a "gimmick" involved if it follows the phantom artist approach.... If so it's pretty invisible...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
It does look like a neat update to the Annemann routine.
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
On a side note, I was chuckling about the whole oprah thing....
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 11:29, tian_ci wrote:
Uh, I don't think there is a "gimmick" involved if it follows the phantom artist approach.... If so it's pretty invisible...

I should have said, the effect looks kinda gimmicky. Meaning, it's not like a torn and restored object, thought of card somewhere, your signed quarter in a soda can, etc. It's not a "natural" thing, the portrait. If you get the gist. It's probably just because that's not the style I gravitate towards.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Is this something that you'll need to buy refills for?
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well I placed my order in. Wheter gimmicky or not, if the revelation is mental(BEING THAT I FOUND OUT THROUGH MENTALISM BEFORE THE REVALATION) Then that will be fine with me. I loved the Travolta. "Oh My Gad" in a Travolta voice.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
This effect is not gimmicky. The method is sound. Oz's additions to the classic effect is VERY good and extremely commercial. The routine obviously is not original but Oz does bring enough updates to this effect that makes it noteworthy. I saw this at his lecture and it's a wonderful routine. I'm pretty sure that for $30 you get all that you need (non of which is gaffed, they are more like components for the trick. Example, the magnetic self-adhesive back, the scissor, etc.). Some of you might have went "hmmmm" about the magnetic self-adhesive backing, it's brilliant! It's not a gaff, it's the one MOST IMPORTANT update to the routine. It's very very very good from a commercial viewpoint. I would venture to say that you NEED this routine if you perform close-up or walkaround shows and are getting paid for them but then again, I don't think I want others to be performing this effect everywhere, it's just way too good!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK if I'm asking for to much exposure, then disregard if not I would love to know How many and limitation of celebrities. Is there outs or is it a direct hit, and will I need refills eventually.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Hee hee hee. Well, a f**ce is involved but it will fly right by them. You wouldn't repeat for the same group. The cards are small enough for you to carry two or three different sets for different outcomes though Smile Other than that, it could be whatever celebrity or person you wish it to be, you just have to make those cutouts Smile
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Oh wow. I hope that isn't too hard. I can barely slice through Jello.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Pretty easy.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Ok, so you make them or do you have to buy refills?
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
J- I assume you make them if it's based on Ted annemans concept.

If you're hesitant to spend $30 on something, you can learn the general idea for $6 here
http://www.lybrary.com/practical-mental-effects-p-94.html

That is the basis for the effect...
magicah123
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of magicah123
Are the cutouts downloaded on the dvd or it comes with the cutouts of famous people?
thanks
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
What was the Anneman effect called? I already ordered this one, looks like it will be pretty fun to perform.
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hello,
The original Annemann effect is called Phantom Artist. For those who have purchased the DVD, thanks! I know you'll get enormous mileage out of this routine as I sure have. There are "refills" required of a few things. You'll need to buy more magnetic business card adhesive stickers depending on how often you perform this, as you give one away each time. You will also need to buy small scissors, though I bet many people will already have them at home, and if not they are cheap and available at every drugstore/pharmacy for 3 or 4 bucks. Last but not least, the cutouts. You will have to make these (unless you get a die cut and have them punched). These take me on average 5 or 6 minutes to make 2. You never have to buy anything additional to make them other than maybe exacto knife blades if they get dull.

-oz
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
Do you use your own business cards and give them away at the end of the routine? If you do use your own business cards can you use ones that are laminated/glossed on both sides?