The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: All tied up! :: Arthur Coghlan Book (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Red Von
View Profile
Loyal user
Branson, MO
251 Posts

Profile of Red Von
Yes, I received a copy of his book today!

This is a must have (Limited Edition of 500) and is signed by the author!

The book covers his beginning in escapology and magic, plus, the many escapes he has performed over the years. He also talks about the various risks and problems involved in escapes and there are plenty of photo's and press clippings that cover his entire career.

The book also comes with a DVD of many of the escapes as he performed them "Live" on TV. (great footage!)

The last section of the book is sealed (for your eyes only) and explains the methods he used in great detail!!

This really is a wonderful, well written and put together book, that will truly captivate anyone interested in Escapology!

Arthur Coghlan's brilliance shines through on every page and leaves the reader wanting more.

A fascinating read that's absolutely priceless!!

Two Thumbs Up!!
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Yup. I bought two at the convention and Mr. Coghlan signed them both. One to 'use', and one to preserve. Big bonus is the DVD that comes with the book. You see vintage performances of many of the effects in the book. That was very important to me.

I enjoyed reading his life story and how he started creating and promoting his escapes. I didn't want to put the book down because it was such a fun read. Mr Coghlan is a real gentleman and a fun person to talk to. Spending time with him and his daughter Helen was the big highlight of the convention for me. That experience probably made reading the book more exciting for me because I've heard some of these stories directly from the man himself.

He's quite a mechanically inclined thinker. Very creative and clever. The book explains his escapes:
44 gallon drum- chained, riveted and padlocked. Yes, I said riveted closed.
Chained to Concrete Blocks- lowered head first into a large water tank
Army Tank challenge
Chair Rope Tie
The Electric Chair escape
The Death Cage
The (original) Steel Box
The Jet Truck
The Circular Saw
Wooden Keg
The Steel Cabinet

There are some great methods that I can see incorporating into things I want to construct, or have constructed for me. Personally, I feel I got my money's worth and am very happy with the book.

The book delivers exactly what it says, Original Escapes of Arthur Coghlan. These are not found in any other book or publication. Mr Coghlan candidly told me that his family was very much against him publishing this information. They wanted his secrets to remain in the family and not released to anyone. Well, I'm grateful that he thought otherwise and chose to share his knowledge with the EA community.

It was a 'must have' for my EA library and the pages will get a little dirty as I read it, book in one hand, shop tools in the other.

Hay, I've changed my mind now. Don't buy the book! I want to keep these secrets to myself! Maybe it's not for everyone, but for me, it was a collectors item.

Joe
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Holy Cow. 206 people viewed this topic already and no one else who purchased the book is willing to comment?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If it makes you feel any better, I've seen no commentary on my book either. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
219 now!!!
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
I've had yours for a while Steve and truly have not had the time to read it.
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
OK. It's up to 410 in hits. My batteries ran out of the mouse. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
As much as I would love to comment on the book, I was unable to purchase it at the convention. Hopefully, the funds will become available before the book sells out.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
lauher
View Profile
New user
Long Island, New York
51 Posts

Profile of lauher
I picked up a copy of the book at the convention. It was a real honor see Mr. Coghlan perform his famous drum escape and then to have the chance to meet him.

After he completed his act a large gathering of us "experts" gathered around his drum trying to figure out how he did it. We had lot of good theories offered, some of which might actually have worked.

The next day the book was on sale and I was pleased to buy one. It is a great book, full of stories and useful information. And yes the secret of the drum escape is in the book.

cheer
Joe
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Does the book ceom with a dvd?
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Uh David I believe it Does as it says DVD Included.
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
So, did any of the folks guess the method of the drum correctly?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Great POSITIVE review of the Coghlan book in the Dec. 2007 MUM magazine!

(...and no, British magis - that's not a magazine about mothers:-)
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Great I guess I'm gonna have to Buy this book.
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
Just received the book and am working my way through the book. No secrets yet. DVD is great.

Robert
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
704 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I have this and it is a wonderful addition to my small collection of Escapology books and video.

Arthur Coghlan has passed on a wealth of knowledge on escapes and marketing ideas in this book / DVD. It's hard to put it down once I start going through it!
Tony Chapparo
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
I got the book, too.

I had to swallow pretty hard though to pay for a $100 book.

But I haven't been disappointed.

P.S. Anyone have Santini's "Entertaining with Escapes" book?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes ..... had to swallow pretty hard to get it in my stomach..

how the hell are you paying for it if you have to swallow to get $100? ...........

.......... oh I see (just had to pop out nad use a phone booth adn now I see how you get $100 from swallowing!).
joshjmill
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia
8 Posts

Profile of joshjmill
I hate to revive a long dead post with my first ever post in the Cafe, but I felt like I would share my experience with the book for those who might be coming after me and trying to acquire/use this book as a resource. I don't know if this was the case when the book was originally on a limited release in 2007, and by all indications reading the posts about this book from its original publication date - it was not, but Helen Coghlan puts it in no uncertain terms that nothing in the book may be utilized or performed without her express permission. I purchased this book after reading this forum and seeing that others were talking about reading it with tools in-hand, so I assumed that purchasing the book would imply the right to use the methods or material, but the early pages make it abundantly clear that is not the case. I and a friend who had also purchased the book reached out to Helen to inquire about what permission we would need, and we were given a price of thousands of dollars to even use the ideas, with thousands more should we want them built for us. Nowhere in the original ad copy or any of the subsequent reprinting ad copies was that little fact ever divulged to us, which led to my searching for the book and eventually purchasing it second-hand and having it shipped from Germany to only find out that it would never be allowed to be anything more than a bookshelf ornament. I love escapology, and Arthur Coghlan is truly one of the giants whose shoulders we stand on today, so it is hard for me to be upset about the situation. It seems like he wrote the book with every intention of this material being of use or benefit to future performers, but someone along the line decided that that would not or could not be allowed. The book is currently available on yet another run of reprints, but still says nothing about the fact that purchasers will not be permitted to use it.