The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: ANTINOMY - Perception & Deception :: Swiss on Street Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Jamy's article could have been summed up in a page. This is typical of him rambling on and on about nothing for page after page. I find it fascinating that people seem to think that he is well respected and has a tremendous amount of credibility when that has never been the case - just the opposite by many magicians (and he brings it upon himself).

I bet part of his anger is that Brad from Ellusionist does a better pass than Jamy (like that's an achievment).

But seriously, Jamy does make some valid points in his article - unfortunately there is a lot of nothing in between.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
You're kidding right? Have you ever seen Jamy in "The Art of Magic" documentary? Jamy is very respected among the top magicians in the world, and rightfully so. How often have you been invited to lecture at 31 Faces North? "The conference gathers thirty-one of the world's top sleight-of-hand magicians, magic historians and experts for a four-day schedule of performance, sharing and networking. The conference recognizes giants of the magic community and offers up-and-coming magicians a chance to meet and learn from magic legends."

Do a little research before making stupid accusations based on hearsay. Sure Jamy can be a bit edgy at times, but his knowledge of the art is very vast, and I have seen him do superb sleight of hand over the years. You must be one of those people who's product did not fair very well in one of his reviews, since in almost every post you make on here you are whining obsessively about Jamy like a little kid.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-20 05:33, sirbrad wrote:
You're kidding right? Have you ever seen Jamy in "The Art of Magic" documentary? Jamy is very respected among the top magicians in the world, and rightfully so. How often have you been invited to lecture at 31 Faces North? "The conference gathers thirty-one of the world's top sleight-of-hand magicians, magic historians and experts for a four-day schedule of performance, sharing and networking. The conference recognizes giants of the magic community and offers up-and-coming magicians a chance to meet and learn from magic legends."

Do a little research before making stupid accusations based on hearsay. Sure Jamy can be a bit edgy at times, but his knowledge of the art is very vast, and I have seen him do superb sleight of hand over the years. You must be one of those people who's product did not fair very well in one of his reviews, since in almost every post you make on here you are whining obsessively about Jamy like a little kid.

LOL. You really have no idea what you are talking about. I do agree that he is knowledgeable. Other than that. LOL !!!!!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yeah I guess the fact that Jamy has made his living off of magic solely for over 30 years now, is a just a fluke. Also the fact that he is a personal consultant for some of the most famous/best magicians in the world, considered one of the foremost if not THE foremost close-up magician in the world. Someone who has worked as a magic bartender for Bob Sheets at the Inn of Magic in Maryland, five days a week for a year and half, which is one of the hardest venues out there for a lot of reasons.

I could go on and on...Genii...Author...Antinomy...Performed for Fortune 500 companies to the Smithsonian Institution. He has lectured to magicians in 13 countries and made numerous television appearances in the United States, Europe and Japan, including U.S. appearances on CBS 48 Hours, PBS Nova and the PBS documentary The Art of Magic, and Comedy Central...

Penn & Teller: "Jamy Ian Swiss makes one understand what a terrifying art form pure sleight of hand can be. He is James Bond with a deck of cards for a pistol." He served as a comedy writer and chief magic consultant for Penn & Teller's Sin City Spectacular, a weekly television variety show on the FX network, for which he also co-produced the Penn & Teller segments. He created, produced and performed in the documentary special, "Cracking the Con Games," for the Discovery Channel. Currently engaged in developing, producing and writing additional projects for television, he is slated as Head Writer and Associate Producer of the new high-tech series, "The Virtual Magician" starring Marco Tempest."

That only skims the surface. I think it is obvious who does, and who doesn't know what they are talking about here. LOL!
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-22 03:50, sirbrad wrote:... considered one of the foremost if not THE foremost close-up magician in the world.

LOL !!!! All of the magicians in the world are laughing right now. (the ones that aren't crying are)

Quote:
On 2007-08-22 03:50, sirbrad wrote:
He has performed for... Comedy Central...

They did a 10 minute segment on his pass.

Look. I know you think Jamy is the cats meow and there is nobody denying that he makes his living doing magic or that he has reviewed books for magazines and written one and yes he has been on TV a few times and yes he has lectured for other magicians and all of the other items you brought up. Many of us older timer magicians, having seen him in action for many many years, just don't share the same fondness for him. It's hard to have respect for someone who has such a contempt for his audience that it totally shows through in his performance.

Despite all of that, I am glad that he is able to make his living doing something he loves to do. Not everyone can say that.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Just because you do not like a magician's attitude does not mean they are not skillful at their craft. His success speaks for itself, so no argument is needed.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I thought the article could have been summed up in fewer words, but he makes some good points.
ME
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Maybe so, but fewer words does not make good magazine content. I actually enjoy his long articles/rants, whatever you want to call them.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Quote:
On 2007-08-25 10:57, sirbrad wrote:
Maybe so, but fewer words does not make good magazine content. I actually enjoy his long articles/rants, whatever you want to call them.

It's difficult for me to read long interenet posts much less long magazine articles. That's not his fault, that's probably my ADD kicking in.
ME
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-25 10:57, sirbrad wrote:

It's better journalism if the author can sum up his thoughts without putting everyone else to sleep, but some people like the sound of their own voice.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Well they better get a lot of authors then, otherwise I am sure you would be happy with a 4 page magazine. I suppose that means that you do not read any books either, as anything over 10 pages puts you to sleep. Or are you waiting for the DVD version? I like my money's worth.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Me, I prefer quality over quantity. I enjoy Swiss's stuff because usually you get both, even if he does start most articles/reviews by talking about himself and name-dropping.

I was telling Bob Kohler, Lennart Green and Mike Vincent the same thing just the other day.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2099 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yes I like quality quantity, that is a rare thing these days. Both can coexist, Jamy has proven that many times. Most simply just cannot look past his ego, or attitude to appreciate his vast knowledge and insight.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
Well I would agree he has a reasonably large knowledge of close up magic, but I wouldn't agree with the notion that his insights were vast or even always perceptive, though often they are. All told, I enjoy his columns even when I think he's way off the mark or is just putting the boot into someone due to a personal agenda. He has the courage of his convictions and writes well, if a little mannered and overly ornate at times.

I do wish he'd publish his Genii reviews in hardcover.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-25 19:25, sirbrad wrote:
Yes I like quality quantity, that is a rare thing these days. Both can coexist, Jamy has proven that many times. Most simply just cannot look past his ego, or attitude to appreciate his vast knowledge and insight.

You can like him if you want. You obviously do and I have no interest in changing your mind. I don't like him and you seem to have a huge problem with it. It is very sweet of you to come to his rescue though. I admire your tenacity.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2007-04-14 13:47, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
...there was an ad from Levi in there showing how a "street" magician should look (of course wearing levi jeans). Even retail corporations understand that street magic is simply an image to sell and I believe further lends more credibility to the Swiss article recently written.

Wow! I haven't actually seen a copy of that magazine but I suppose that goes to show how mainstream the "Street Magic" perception has become.
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Enjoyed the article.I would like to draw an analogy between street magic and close up. Im talking here about sitting around a table and performing. Jamy ( correctly ) states that street magic doesn't in fact exist.....as there is no setting for it in the real world. And neither in fact is there for close up, a term that came to prominence only in the twenties and thirties (before that known as parlour) Why do I say that?
Who is your audience....well theres family , friends and colleagues. OK.
Then there is the lecturer........
And then there is session magic......interacting with colleagues...and finally
The idealized non real world setting at the Castle.
Of course I'm excluding the restaurant and bar worker, the trade show worker,etc, who may perform close up, just as Jamy excluded the legit buskers etc.
I read a recent survey showing that 40% of magicians prefer card magic, 15% coins. That means about half of the magic community, is like the so called street magicians , interested in something that also doesn't really exist.
But nobody says it aloud...wouldnt be good for the 'magic' business, now would it?
Aubrey de Wet
View Profile
Regular user
South Africa, Johannesburg
110 Posts

Profile of Aubrey de Wet
Quote:
On 2008-05-29 10:35, iugefu wrote:
Enjoyed the article.I would like to draw an analogy between street magic and close up. Im talking here about sitting around a table and performing. Jamy ( correctly ) states that street magic doesn't in fact exist.....as there is no setting for it in the real world. And neither in fact is there for close up, a term that came to prominence only in the twenties and thirties (before that known as parlour) Why do I say that?
Who is your audience....well theres family , friends and colleagues. OK.
Then there is the lecturer........
And then there is session magic......interacting with colleagues...and finally
The idealized non real world setting at the Castle.
Of course I'm excluding the restaurant and bar worker, the trade show worker,etc, who may perform close up, just as Jamy excluded the legit buskers etc.
I read a recent survey showing that 40% of magicians prefer card magic, 15% coins. That means about half of the magic community, is like the so called street magicians , interested in something that also doesn't really exist.
But nobody says it aloud...wouldnt be good for the 'magic' business, now would it?

This makes absolutely no sense at all...Let's just say that there is NO VENUE FOR ANY MAGIC. I'm of course exluding the theatre, the stage, the cocktail party, the corporate function, the restaurant, the trade show, the fair, the square etc etc.

Everybody not interested in cards and coins are interested in stuff that exists, the other 55% are interested in stuff that don't really exist...not even the coins in my pocket are real. But let's keep quiet, it wouldn't be good for world economies to realise this, now would it.

Like many has said before, and this is usually the case with controversial writing (think back to when The God Delusion came out), few people actually try and take on the content. They prefer to take on the person who wrote it. It's intellectual sloth (ooh, that's a great term). Jamy Ian Swiss was not chosen to write for all those magazines, achieve the success he has, consulted for the top guys etc. if he did not have the REAL chops, the RESPECT for the ART (as one of the people said) etc.

Take on the subject, not the man. (And now some might think "Yeah, but Swiss took on Christ (ian)." Just remember, the skills of the teacher is part of the issue.)

Jamy Ian Swiss is one of the old-school Eastside sleight-of-hand artists, and he looks out for his art. There will always be place for his kind of thing. Penn Jillette once said that Miles Davis must have been cringing when the Beatles struck it as big as they did with essentially 4-cord songs (he made this rather snobbish remark referring to people asking him about Blaine - probably comparing themselves to Miles Davis and Blaine to the Beatles (at the same time being a fan of the Beatles - bit confusing)). But remember, The Beatles all had DEGREES in music and harmony. They knew the rules before they tried changing them.

I loved the article by Jamy Ian Swiss and had me thinking hard on what I would be spending my money and time on in the coming years.

Aubrey de Wet
South Africa
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1412 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Earliest street magicians were mentioned in Rome.