The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Faromania - The Big List by Mats G. Kjellstrom (111 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
DD: See my post of Marth 13th above. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-04-11 23:17, ddeckmann wrote:

Until now I only know "Fourtitude" by Mr. Harry Lorayne which is great. I fooled myself!

This the very effect that prompted me to learn the faro in the first place many years ago! Of course I learned to faro as taught by Harry in the same book CUCM...

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
"Fourtitude" by Mr. Harry Lorayne was one of my first faro effects I could do with a well-used Bee deck when I was a young junior early 80s (now I'm a mid aged magician with 100s of faro effects in my mind)

I have a few faro effects that's un-published. I will put them in a book or dvd, some day.

A superb recommendation for any faro user: check out Richard Turners Gold Seal Bicycle Cards.

http://richardturner52.com/cards-games/bicycle-cards/
(the best, sure)
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3227 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Thanks KJellstrom, that is a great list!

And thank you to Lawrence O who has posted numerous similar posts that contained his research. Magicians have never had it so good!

In addition to the other routines Harry Lorayne listed, he has a routine named "Faro Quickie" that I like. That routine is in one of the Classic Collection volumes.

My next references are missing details. I'll try to find the routines later if I have time.

Mike Powers has some Faro routines in Power Plays.

Simon Aronson has Faro routines in more than one of his books. The only one I recall now is Simon-Eyes in the book Simply Simon.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Patrol Dawn by Paul Gordon. His take on Bannon's Dawn Patrol that does NOT require the special setup of a breather crimp card. Makes the effect totally impromptu.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I got a message from Larry Barnowsky

"Hi Mats,
Don't overlook the Faro effects in my book "Kingdom of the Red".

Alignment of Colors at Montauk Point (Ch. 1)
Shuffle Cut and Fold (Ch. 19)

My new book (written but in process of doing photos) has many Faro effects in it. It should be out early next year.

Best,

Larry"

http://www.barnowskymagic.com/
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
FARO ITEMS:

Incomplete Four Way (Top Secret Stuff p. 74, 1990)

Reverse Faro Coincidence (Power Plays p. 88, 2006)

Numerical Analysis (Power Plays p. 106, 2006) Related to Faro and can be done with a Faro.

Hide and Seek (Power Plays p. 108, 2006)

Mike
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Great list, Mats,

I think that I'm well placed to know the amount of work that this sort of list represents

Thus congratulations and thanks
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-04-15 01:00, MagiClyde wrote:
Patrol Dawn by Paul Gordon. His take on Bannon's Dawn Patrol that does NOT require the special setup of a breather crimp card. Makes the effect totally impromptu.

Dawn Patrol doesn't use a breather crimp.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
MagicFish, I suggest you check again. I have John Bannon's "Bullets After Dark" DVD and he DOES use a breather crimp.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Perhaps he altered the method slightly for the later dvd. But in the original, which appears in Dear Mr. Fantasy, there is no breather.

Fish
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
Thanks for sharing, I was looking for tricks that you can do with a faro shuffle too!!
DLarkins
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
59 Posts

Profile of DLarkins
Magicfish,

I think that you may be mistaken.

While he does not explicitly state a 'breather' crimp, Bannon does in fact indicate that he uses "a joker with a crimp" in the description of Dawn Patrol. And it can be assumed that that terse description alludes to his explanation of how he prepares the joker in the previous effect 'Dead Reckoning' on page 97 of DMF where he says "...I always put a reverse breather crimp in the joker and then corner crimp one corner."
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
I have John Bannon's "Bullets After Dark" DVD, but if Paul Gordon don't use a "crimp card", where can I find Gordon's routine?
Is "Dawn Patrol" routine possible to do without a "crimp card"....really????
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
It's on his Card Rarities DVD. No crimp, no preparation. Genius!
SlipperyPete
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of SlipperyPete
Instead of Dawn Patrol I actully favor doing 'Spectator makes a sandwich' trick. Same thing basically
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
I've got Paul Gordon's DVD "Card Rarities "..... and I do not regret this purchase at all.
The effect "Patrol Down" is amazing and anyone who can use perfect Faro should be curious in this routine. This is a real strong trick. It only takes 5 minutes and learn a routine that gives the audience chin drop. It bears witness to almost the impossible.
He also has a great routine "Eight Spot Locator" using a straddle faro. New Adventure This is very simple and learn, despite its great magical power. This routine is just as good because you can recover any two cards that spektators are drawn from the deck.
You also get several other great routines on this DVD, so it can be recommended also to you who are not only "Faro shufflers". If you are a Faro shuffler you will enjoy this DVD, if you are not a Faro, you will want and soon learn the Faro shuffles.
Good work Paul.
fredface
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of fredface
I got Paul Gordon Card Rarities dvd and have never gotten better...the ten card poker deal is the BEST of its kind, and Hellmans Aces is tops! Highly recommended!!!!!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
5204 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Darwin Ortiz - The One-Handed Poker Deal from Cardshark must be added as a faro effect. Great effect.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
In my new book, The Book of Destiny which came out in early October 2011, there are six effects using the faro shuffle:

Ch. 1 Look to the Cards
Ch. 3 Triple Psychometry
Ch. 8 The Book of Destiny
Ch. 17 The Power to Decide
Ch. 23 Chance or Choice
Ch. 27 Sum-traction

Larry Smile