The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. :: Unexpected (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
I found this amusing:

Quote:
On 2007-02-28 12:07, Andrew Richmond wrote:
My genuine rating on this DVD 7/10 and trust me I am hard to please.

Quote:
On 2007-02-28 15:08, Andrew Richmond wrote:
Peter I don't know where that comes from, I don't think for a minute I am hard to please

;)
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
I do Nightbringer, this isn't getting nasty but I do think your review is a little harsh, practically all of the effects on the Unexpected can be themed and styled, the Busch Brain Buster is to my mind better than the AAA booktest purely as it is so hard to reverse engineer..

I have had people reverse engineer the AAA booktest, they simply say "He held the book like this and then said focus on the first word on the page so he must have either seen it or seen the word on the opposite page and have some memory technique."

Now please don't put posts up telling me I am doing it wrong, I have seen Marc Paul do this live and heard spectators say exactly what I wrote above, that's not an attack that's just what happened.. Direct is good but equally subtleties and the occasional wrong turn can add greatly..

It depends on your style, after watching Derren live for the 6th time I can say he is getting less direct and has them eating out the palm of his hand..

As an example Nightbringer, to say Gladiator is a terrible film is wrong, the cinematics are superb, the score is stunning, the acting exceptional..

A better more accurate statement would be Gladiator really isn't my sort of film, I prefer Science fiction, less fights, less aggression..

The Unexpected is a valid DVD with impromptu material, the style and themes are clearly not for you but it is not a bad DVD as it delivers what it aims to..

Your point of view is as valid as anyone else's but some of what you said seems a little unfair when many others have clearky enjoyed the DVD including myself..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

I was refering to Michael Sibbernson's (sp?) AAA Booktest not Marc Pauls. There are no peeks or memory work.

Let me have my opinion please. Do you see me argueing with your score (7/10)? You loved it, great! I wish I loved it.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Well spotted Nightbringer, I wondered if anyone would spot that..

You can't argue with my score Nightbringer as it is based on fact, your rating is based on the fact that you don't like the DVD and lets face it what do you know..

That was a joke... Calm down Vampy Guy..

I'll tell you one thing Nightbringer, I may have given the DVD 7/10 but I'd give you 11/10.. I love you..

Now lets get a hotel room and party..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Illusion77
View Profile
Elite user
425 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
I'd love to hear more about this DVD from those who have been using the effects? How do they play? What types of reactions has the material gotten from the audience members?
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

READ THE TOP POST Illusion77....

It covers everything..

IGNORE Nightbringer he didn't like it as he does REAL mind reading..

Joke Vampy chill... Get another hair dye... Wish I had hair to dye...

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

It's natural my tasty friend.

Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
So's he's baldness Night bringer....

Everyone has different tastes and opinions, trust me I have felt the hard end of the stick on this forum..

You're opinion is valid from your perspective.. The routines have played very well for myself, Peter and others.. Thank you for your PM's.. The theming of the routines will determine whether people believe what your doing, also your image and persona..

Tricks, effects, etc are really secondary to a convincing persona, which I am sure you have..

Best wishes

Spelmann
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

How did you know that?... Is that explained on the DVD?

Nightbringer Tasty am I?.. See I knew we had something going on..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Hello Mr. Spelmann, thanks for being understanding, you have my utmost respect. I did really like your performing style by the way.

I've been thinking about this for awhile and I think the reason I didn't like this was because I knew most of the effects taught already, so I personally didn't get much use out of this but I can definately see where others could. So giving this a score based on the effects if I wouldn't have known these already I would give this a 6/10.

I admit my review was a bit harsh, I think I was just dissapointed from not really getting anything out of a $75 purchase.

Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Dear Nightbringer,

Please call me Marc..

That is very kind of you and your initial post was discussed by myself & Peter as we take ANY criticism very seriously be it positive or negative. We realise we are not able to please everyone (that really is impossible) but suffice to say we have had a sufficient number of pm's & emails from many professionals such as yourself who even though they know the various moves and techniques have gained huge benefit from the DVD in terms of restablishing these various techniques and some new routines for that moment when you are caught off guard..

We really wanted to eliminate any risk factor with the impromptu material and also make it as versatile as possible. We believe and so do many others that we have created an excellent DVD resource that is something to refer back to for those 'unexpected' occasions..

We have many products to come and many are for the more advanced performer which maybe more suited to you. I urge you though to please give some of the routines a try in a real situation, that is where you will see their value..

Naturally myself and Peter on the unexpected DVD do not take ourselves to seriously which may have affected the overall impression it had on you.. With your look and the kind of style I am assuming you have routines like a Tribute to Mr Kane could easily be adapted.. Imagine instead of winning a cash prize they could be gambling with life itself.. Feel, could be a series of murder weapons that have been used in real crimes, you divine which weapon they have.. the theatrics for such a routine could be VERY powerful in the right hands (excuse the pun)

I am also guilty of knowing a secret and then missing the value, when Peter sent me Descisions, I thought.. that's cute and put it to one side, but then our mutual friend Ian Rowland really raved about it in The Magic Circle Magazines mentalism section, I immeadiately got Descisions out and worked a quick short opener routine which went over so well I literally couldn't believe it.. Suffice to say I now use it all the time..

With this Nigtbringer I wish you well and look forward to communicating with you in the near future..

With kindest regards

Marc Spelmann
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I have watched these dvds a few times and really enjoy them. I have found them very useful and informative. there are 3 effects that I will use which I think is a great value. the esp card routine is great. I say good job to Marc and Peter and look forward to more products from them both. Marc I would love to here your routine with decisions I also use it for an opener as well.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Spelmann is funny
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Looch is clever and quite handsome...
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1102 Posts

Profile of Nash
Ok I'm currently watching the DVD, just got done with Vol.1 and am already impressed.
Lot of the mentalism works are, rather long and drawn out.. and too boring for real world.
This is something that you will do in REAL WORLD.

GET IT guys.
Seriously
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
For their next release as inner mind productions I would like to be seeing Marc and Peter to be working at a real stand up AND walk round gig, so not ins a studio, with all their tricks and things that might not be goings to a plan.

Then I would like them's to be explaining their approach for both things with some commentory over the originals performance when things are happening an they exlplain why.

Max Maven tried to do it with his DVD Nothing but he was still being in a studio. Only MArk Leveridge with a beard has done some videos with a real life walkarounds and then some explanations which is brilliant and everyone can learn more from this sort of video.

I think MArc and Peter would be very interesting to watch doing this and I would pay a high price for this release. I would pay £45.99. - £55.99

What do you think of that MArc and Peter?
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Juan,

Myself and Peter have discussed this very process and it is something we will do with future releases, sometimes our work schedules can get in the way of organising live shoots but rest assured we will be doing this in the future with the right products..

Our next release High Impact Volume One was filmed back in early january which may have some live footage time permitting, however we have so many products due for release from our current performances and older material..

We did have some live footage for the Unexpected with a few of the effects but due to the environment our voices could barely be heard and the footage unfortunately didn't show the various techniques well enough to warrant going on the finished DVD (it was a VERY busy bar and it really only showed our back, the odd shoulder and people gathering around)..

I hope that answers you question Juan, thank you for your support and as always myself and Peter Nardi are always interested to know what we can bring to the benefit of the mentalsim community..

Marc Spelmann
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Unexpected
Medium: DVD 2 disc set
Arena: close up, parlour, mentalism
Available: Any shop, innermind.com , distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Mentalism is very interesting to me and it ranges from usable and easy to do to very difficult and requiring much work in order to be prepared. It is a wonderful part of our art and those that are good at it are very entertaining and mysterious. Good mentalism is hard to find so when a good source comes along I’m always happy. I wasn’t familiar with the two gents who put together Unexpected other than their release of No Chance which thrilled me to no end, Marc Spelman and Peter Nardi. I have to confess something here, I usually do not like British humor. I did like these two guys. I found them friendly, naturally funny, and I hope they are as good of guys as they come off. It would be too bad if they were mean or something like that. I bring this up because they made the dvds enjoyable to watch and that helps.

The production level was pretty good. The filming was just of the two guys doing their thing and then explaining with a single camera. Nothing fancy here and the camera was sufficient to get across what they wanted to get across. The sound was okay except Peter had his mic set lower than Marc. This problem seemed to vanish on the second DVD but I like to complain about sound. He also had the bad habit that I’ve noticed among the Brits that he turns away from his mic when making a statement. I was able to hear it but the drop in sound is rough on someone with bad hearing like myself. Brits, please use boom mics, lapel mics just don’t cut it for you guys for some reason. Pip pip.

Over all I really enjoyed these DVDs and found the material to be excellent. Let us take a look at what you get in this two disc set (two disc, one package).

Disc One:

Fist Full of Dollars:

Spectator makes a choice of which hand a bill is in. Not only are they incorrect but the bill has a prediction on it about the choice they would make. I liked this but am not sure it fits my style, not their fault it is just me but I did like it.

Drinks On The Patio:

Selections are made by the mage and the spectator as to what type of drink the spec wins. High cost drinks are omitted leaving only a bottle of water being won. I didn’t explain that well but this is a presentation of one of my favorite effects and done so in a creative way. This is really a good routine that can be done with playing cards, those cards kids use to play games with (I forget the names, you know, dragons fight etc), or with business cards. I was glad to see this on the dvd.

Take Note:
A spec chooses from three bills/bank notes and you show that you predicted their selection. This is another really cool routine and like Drinks on the Patio I think folks will be doing it. Uses multiple outs and the gents have some good thoughts on the presentation.

Perfect ESP:

This is another winner with lots of potential for different presentations. There is a switch on this one that is just killer and they kind of show it and move on not realizing how good it is (it seems). This is a keeper and the switch a super duper keeper, seems it is a Darren Brown idea (who I have heard of but never have seen).

Single Handed Geller:

Bent coin routine, very nice and should interest the street commandos and hallway hitmen. I worked with a woman whos uncle did a coin bending trick and she believes, and I’m not kidding, that he has super powers because of it.

Underhand Thoughts:

A method of drawing duplication that is very interesting and with lots of input from the guys.

All of the routines are very good and I know I’ll be doing four of them.

Disc Two:

A Tribute to Mr. Kane:

Spectator makes a choice of multiple cards and while all cards are winners except one that is the one picked. I liked this one a lot, quick to set up and the gents had very good ideas on presentation.

Feel:

You guess the imaginary object the spectator is holding in cupped hands. Very interesting and one I’ll be using along with the Mr. Kane routine.

Serial Killer Live:

A bills serial number is written down even though the bill is the specs and under a glass. Very neat method and a keeper as well. I’ve seen other ways to do this but I like this one the best.

Three For The Money:

Multi phase prediction using the old one ahead principle. What makes this one unique is Peters handling of the cards and presentation which is very interesting and makes this a much improved version over most I’ve seen. Another, surprise, keeper.

Busch Brain Buster:

A multi phase routine where a word thought of by the spec is determined. A lot of interesting thought went into this one and it is worth looking into. May be scary to the beginner but this one does work.

Two’s Company:

Not a routine but a conversation about a method that might interest people. A way of doing brain frying mentalism that you’ll likely use.

This set of DVD’s is one of the best collection of impromptu mentalism that will be appreciated by specs that I’ve seen. Most can be set up in a few minutes and will be appreciated by specs as well as mysterious to them. I’m not sure of Peter and Marc have other DVD’s on the market but this one sure made me appreciate their work. Great product all around. If you can’t find it at your shop tell them to special order it from Murhy’s Magic Supplies.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
Perfect ESP:

This is another winner with lots of potential for different presentations. There is a switch on this one that is just killer and they kind of show it and move on not realizing how good it is (it seems). This is a keeper and the switch a super duper keeper, seems it is a Darren Brown idea (who I have heard of but never have seen).

The switch is not a DB move it can be traced back to the pheonix years ago, and I agree it is a very very good switch
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you, I was going by what was said on the dvd, I wouldn't be able to pick Darren Brown out of a line up, never seen him.