The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Stage Illusions :: Chair Suspension: Which One!!! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Lately I have been bitten by the bug to add a chair suspension to my act. I was dealing on one and it fell through. I am not sure I can affort the Harbin model plus I am concerned about the weight of the props for transporting. I guess that gets me down to chair suspension by: Abbotts, Mak, and Klamm which I think is made by Jim Sommers. Can someone give me some advice on which models are better and why? Also is there another chair suspension that I should be considering. Would also be interested in any info concerning making one myself.

Thanks and Have a Nice Day!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
Hey bob;

From what I hear sommers makes a great one. Mak, I've heard some roughs stories, but also some good stories. Another building is Bill Smith he makes an amazing chair suspension (used by Penn and Teller). Do a search on here, you'll find lots of threads discussing the chair suspension. Hope this helps.

Matt
ddhoudini
View Profile
New user
Kansas City, MO
70 Posts

Profile of ddhoudini
I recently tried out the Klamm model. It is made by Sommers. Loved it, and they indicate it holds about 140 lbs without a problem. Sorry but I don't know about the others. Mr. Klamm is in Kansas City, where I'm from. Great guy. Very honest. Call him.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you ever see one for sale, get the Jack Hughes version original.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
207 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I use the MAK and like it very much. Simple, no problems or issues. Plus, make sure you get Kyle's e-book on the illusion.

If you would like a new MAK one, PM me.
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
Mark Alan
View Profile
New user
St. Augustine Fl.
64 Posts

Profile of Mark Alan
Just got my new one today..Made by Jim Summers very impressed and works great tested it with 100lb subject no drop if you know wht I mean..Ordered it thru Klamm Magic great service and really nice guy to deal with.. Also you might be interested in Kyle Peron's e-book on chair suspensions ..If your going to get a CS his e-book will be the best 10 bucks you ever spent..Just for the record I have no afiliations with any of the above mentioned.just my opinion.. Hope it helps.. Mark
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I used the Jim Sommers/Klamm suspension for 5 years - really liked it. I now have a European suspension. If you can afford the extra $200 - 400 bucks, go for the European model. I was very careful with the Sommers - careful about whom I picked, careful about putting them on, careful about removing the chair, etc. With the European Suspension, all your concern is thrown out the window. Just pick a volunteer and put them on the board. No worry, no "hitting the sweet spot", no checking for sag, nothing. done. It's a joy to perform.

Jim
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Café Members

I bought the European Chair Suspension several years ago from Hocus Pocus and have been very satisfied with the purchase!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Walking Bob in Iowa
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
I too use the Mak. I use their deluxe one and it's fantastic! No sag or wobble and can levitate up to 170 lbs. Highly recommended. (You can contact me if you want to order one. I LOVE mine.)

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Ever see an engine block on a chair suspension?

Click here to view attached image.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Thanks Jay ... Now there's something I haven't tried yet.

Dan.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2012-03-05 18:59, jay leslie wrote:
Ever see an engine block on a chair suspension?

Jay, that's not what your mechanic meant when he said you needed a new suspension.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The complete suspension is for the engine... but the gimmick can be used for a car jack.

Click here to view attached image.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Impressive. Which model is that, Jay (the suspension, not the car)?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9500 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
PM sent
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Most will scream out. "There is another board." when you pull the chair and board away.

Someone needs to make a more deceptive version
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The problem that this tends to happen a lot is because a lot of folks have a routine that is set up and performed wrong. Most call the illusion floating. They even have in their marketing floating and their patter is "floating". As soon as you start to head that way, it puts the wrong ideas into the minds of the audience.

As many know, this is a suspension. That is what it is. So I present it as a mystery and I never even state exactly what will happen. They do not know until it does happen.

Now they should never ever say there is another board there. If they do. it is also because of several factors.

1) the person is positioned wrong and in such a way that it looks unnatural
2) some add a head rest attachment to the illusion cause they are afraid the child's head will hurt. The head rest is never needed.
3) the cloth on the anchorage board is not attached or on correctly
4) the cloth when the child is wrapped is wrapped too tight. When the cloth is draped over it is done so that their is natural sag on it. It is gently placed over and not pulled tightly.

If done correctly with the above points taken into consideration, they will never shout out about another board. They will be too floored as to what they are seeing and witnessing.

So there does not need to be another deceptive version made. Harbin created a classic for a reaosn and it should remain a classic. It just needs to be understood more by folks before they perform it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
coollter_mik
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of coollter_mik
Jack Hughes +1
Cris Johnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Niagara Falls, NY
248 Posts

Profile of Cris Johnson
I use the Somers version and love it. I also can vouch for Kyle's book - a lot of great info in there. Really took away any trepidation I had for doing the effect.
Cris Johnson, BCH, CI, CT.NLP

www.ProfessionalMagicProducts.com
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Here is one for sale for only $250 wow!!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&1