The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes :: Card Craft by J.K Hartman (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I used to have this and thought it was quite mediocre and eventually sold it.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
What is a new copy worth right now?
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-04-22 15:58, Tim Hannig wrote:
What is a new copy worth right now?

Tim,

This book is LONG OOP so a "new" CardCraft would be one that the original buyer never cracked. Richard Kaufman has stated that this will not be reprinted due to publication costs. I should hasten to add that Mr. Kaufman stated this a few years ago and perhaps plans have changed. However, since Magicana and Mr. Jennings Takes It Easy have yet to be published, I would wager that CardCraft isn't even remotely in sight.

In 2003 I scored a copy of this at Magic, Inc. for a paltry 55.00 USD. It so happened that one of the demonstrators had an extra copy. I treasure this book and constantly find great ideas in it. I had written in an earlier post in this thread that Mr. Hartman's prose tends to be dry. That is off-putting to many readers. But, for those who do not mind a writing style that is nowhere near that of Harry Lorayne for instance, CardCraft is an EXCELLENT resource.

Best,
Vlad
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
$55 was retail back in the day.

A copy went on eBay last month for $310...

performbettershows.com
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
The book is for sale on ebay... ending today.

performbettershows.com
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
228 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Hocus Pocus had one in an Estate sale for about 30 seconds or less and I'm not sure, but I think it went for somewhere in the $400 to $500 range.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Anyone who thinks Roy Walton's two card books aren't superb isn't someone whose opinion I would take seriously. They are two of the hidden gems of magic literature, and would be in every magician's library if only Davenports of London--the publishers--would allow other dealers to sell it. Most people think the books are out of print, but they're not. You just have to order them from Davenports in London.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7028 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Art of Astonishment, Card Zones and the Walton books are POOR?????? Okay, Barry, even if the magic isn't your style, how can you say any of those books are poor? Really?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of drjohn
My god, Art of Astonishment, Card Zones and the Walton books are classics??? I own pretty much every book worth having on card magic (i have over 1700 books) and these are absolute stand out material...... Watch Jerry Sadowitz perform his magic and you will be stunned. Wow!! if those are BAD books what do you consider GOOD ones??? Very worrting that you find them bad????
May your darkness come quickly
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Just saw Card Craft on Amazon.com (used) for $375. Glad I held on to mine!!!!!

Frankly, I have never gone thru it. Going to break it out of the closet and enjoy it!

Current Library:

Royal Road
Expert at the Card Table
Expert Card technique
Card Craft
Stars of Magic
Elmsley Vol 1
Derek Dingle Complete Works
Classic Larry Jennings
Zarrow - Lifetime of Magic
Aragon - Book in English
Mnemonica
Focus
Vernon - Secrets
Vernon - More Secrets
Vernon - Further Secrets
Strong Magic
Fechter Magician Nightly
John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
For Sale: Mint condition copy of "Card Craft." $300. PM if interested.

John Kokot
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On 2012-11-16 12:29, John Kokot wrote:
For Sale: Mint condition copy of "Card Craft." $300. PM if interested.

John Kokot

Yeah, right!

I'll offer you $40.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Quote:

Yeah, right!

I'll offer you $40.

Are your other 1163 comments as stupid?
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Card Mechanic, you set up the sale nicely for John Kokot.

If I was was cynical I'd say that you either know him or are him. However I'm not so I won't.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Quote:
On 2012-11-18 10:49, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Card Mechanic, you set up the sale nicely for John Kokot.

If I was was cynical I'd say that you either know him or are him. However I'm not so I won't.

Neither.
John Kokot
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of John Kokot
I never thought my 15 (or fewer) minutes of fame would hinge on impersonating someone or being inpersonated. Just for the record, with the exception of Vlad_77, I do not know, nor have I ever communicated with anyone involved in this message topic.

My only quibble with this otherwise informative discussion of "Card Craft" is that I mistakenly placed my offer on this, the "Good, Bad and Garbage" board, rather than on the "Let's Make a Deal" board, where it belongs. Perhaps the moderator could correct the error of my ways and move my post to the proper location. Transferring my offer may also have the added bonus of minimizing suspicions about Machiavellian motives.
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
I think Card Craft is an excellent book. Explanations are clear and very complete and I believe everything is withing reach of the average performer. Besides excellent effects, there is a large section of slights/techniques (new and variations on existing slights/techniques) in the beginning of the book. I found a lot of these useful (I spent quite a bit of time on Hartman's variation of the Convincing Control/Immediate Bottom Placement. It is good, though I ultimately settled on Jennings' approach. There are many other slights of interest.) As previously mentioned, there is a nice section in the back teaching the non-original moves used in the book.
I am neither artist nor art critic but I found the illustrations extremely useful. I grew up (magically speaking at least - I was in my 20s) on Schmidt's illustrations in Pallbearer's Review so I am used to them.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I still think that CardCraft is an excellent book. However I do not think it warrants the after market price that is roughly equivalent of the Kaufman reprint of Greater Magic. Perhaps the difficulty that some people have with CardCraft is that it's a huge book (over 250 effects) and obviously not every effect is earth shattering, but then, I can't think of a single book in which EVERY effect is geologically destructive. The fact remains however that J.K. Hartman has earned an excellent reputation in the art. I will reiterate something that I have stated in other threads about CardCraft as I think it bears repeating. Hartman's style of writing tends to be less conversational/more textually dense than Harry Loryane's style for instance. Also, Hartman tends to understate effect so you have to dig and CardCraft can be daunting at 660 pages. There are some real original gems in the book and a lot of Hartman's reworking of others' effects are quite interesting.

There IS one clunker in the book that stands out in my mind because as written it simply does not look convincing. It's a faux gambling demo called College for Crooks. The effect is very cool and what a boon to those who aren't Jason England or [insert heavy hitting gambling expert here]. But the method just does not work - at least for me. Since J.K. Hartman doesn't correspond much with magicians, I can't contact him to ascertain whether I am missing something.

I am a huge Hartman fan, but, I would not pay more that 150 USD for the book. I got lucky at Magic Inc. in 2003 because one of the demonstrators had an extra copy. As it happened I spent a ton of money at N. Lincoln that day, and they sold CardCraft to me at the publication price - and bear in mind that CardCraft was already OOP and proces for it were creeping up. So thanks to that demonstrator who I believe is no longer with Magic, Inc. after they reorganized. Smile

Namaste,
Vlad
Card Mechanic
View Profile
Regular user
Should I have made
130 Posts

Profile of Card Mechanic
Any trick [or even a sleight] that is worth it's salt, is worth [at least] $100. There are far more than 1 and a 1/2 effects in Card Craft... FAR MORE!

Worth every penny of $400 USD.
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
71 Posts

Profile of magic.42
I bought may copy of Card Craft off eBay For $30.00 in 2007. Back then I was looking for misspelled titles and it came up (Cerd Crafft) with just a hour to go. It was a very long hour - I bid $150 but no one else found it. I love this book but the only thing I 'm currently using is his method of doing the Mexican Turnover. The added tips made it invisible . I now use it all the time. I guess it's time to open it and start reading the rest of it . I mostly look for handling of card moves from different angles and applicants.
Thanks and Take Care ~ magic.42