The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: New to magic? :: Magic books & Videos for beginners (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of flipped
I really don't find anything on Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles a killer.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Arkansas
328 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Hernan suggests "The Amateur Magician's Handbook" by Henry Hay. I agree. It is available in paper back for probably five or six dollars. This is one of the best and least expensive books for a serious beginner.

Cheers!

Gerald
Koji Takada
View Profile
Regular user
Tokyo, Japan
146 Posts

Profile of Koji Takada
"Harry Lorayne - Best Ever" video/DVD series are very good for beginners. He is a good teacher, and all tricks are by using a borrowed deck.

Koji
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I would recommend "How to do Street Magic" from ellusionist. This really got me into magic and it teaches many great tricks, it is more than two hours long with two download bonus videos and a written explanation of the King Rising Levitation.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
If your just starting out and on a budget, I recommend the series of 25 tricks video's.
(Hampton Ridge used to produce these)
The videos cover everything from cards, to linking rings, to cups and balls. Each video is about 30 minutes and the videos are dirt cheap, only around $15.00 bucks at the most.

These are what I started with, they will give new magicians a good foundation.
Primal
View Profile
New user
London
1 Post

Profile of Primal
LeConte - have to agree with the others that your review was excellent of the volume one DVD. I've also ordered it on the back of your recommendation. Looking forward to the vol. 2 review!

As for your worries about the double lift technique, do you have any specific advice that is missed on the DVD?
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Dear Leconte,

Thank you for your review on Michael Ammar's ETMCM vol.1 It is really useful and I have no hesitation to recommend this to anyone who need card magic learning.

I am looking forward your review of remaining volumes.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
per_agge
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of per_agge
LeConte!
great review. I am thinking of buying Ammars or Brad Burts! Which one do guys think I should buy?
clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
How about Greg Wilson's "On the Spot"? Would it be considered a learning video?
Jasonm921
View Profile
New user
NYC
86 Posts

Profile of Jasonm921
Sankey's videos have provided some great tricks and ideas that I use on a regular basis.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Wow, it's amazing to look at the long list of contemporary books and video that is available to the students of magic. I would like to suggest that you consider older books. There are some amazing values in "previously enjoyed" (used) volumes of general magic. Check the acts of the professionals, they still mine gold from routines out of the Tarbell Course in Magic. Some of the best "next step" books, in terms of solid, entertaining material, include the Supreme publications of The Faucett Ross Book, and anything by Ken Brooke.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Seconding Mr. Brisbin's suggestion to consider older books, I'd also recommend Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook. Don't let the title fool you. It should be "How to Progress from Beginner to Amateur to Professional Magician's Handbook". You'll get a solid introduction to the basics in just about every field of magic, as well as valuable insights on presentation and on how to studjavascript:InstaSmilie()
javascript:InstaSmilie()y magic.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I'd like to place another vote for "Amateur Magician's Handbook." As a beginner I just assumed that a lot of tricks "weren't right for me." Then I studied Hay's book and learned how to really entertain people with magic. Now even the old saws like the ring on the rubber band are good material for amazement. You know the old saying "In the right hands..." well, this book will make YOURS the right hands.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
lhughes
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
151 Posts

Profile of lhughes
I would agree with those who selected Mark Wilson's course in magic. I also have Bill Tarr's -Now you see it, now you don't. Both of these books are great starters (and great books to use if you are teaching magic classes.)
The Klutz book of Magic and Magic for Dummies are also good books and if you never learn any tricks from them, they are useful for comedy relief when a trick goes wrong.
Sleightly yours,
Lorne
Dr. Hoodwink
View Profile
New user
Eastern NC
42 Posts

Profile of Dr. Hoodwink
Unto the assembled magi doth Dr. Hoodwink send electrographical greetings,

I have what might seem to be an unusual query. My isolated tower of occult might is indeed isolated. Thanks to the capriciousness of geography, I am unable to see many master magi plying their trade. My employer, too, demands much of my evening time. I take great pleasure in not only watching a magical performance but also working out for myself the secrets employed by the professionals.

My question is thus: What are some few of the most Entertaining video records extant? In your exalted opinions, of course.

Yrs. in scholarship,
HOODWINK
melish
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of melish
I highly recommend The Very Best of Jay Sankey Vol 3. I am a beginner and this dvd offers some truly great tricks including Paperclipped (under another name), and Leaving Home. The price is well worth these 2 tricks alone, but there is so much more...Ouch and Ship in a Bottle being fabulous as well.
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
247 Posts

Profile of gocall911
Michael Ammar's Icebreakers and The Hampton Ridge 25 tricks video series are some of the best videos to start out on. As for books Magic for Dummies is one of the best for some one just starting out I think.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
Spider
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Spider
I wrote a FAQ for Beginners that reposes on the Michael Ammar site (thank you, Michael, for asking me for it!).

Go to: http://www.ammarmagic.com

and click upon the blue tab called TIPS.

Then scroll down the new page until you find a link for FAQ for Beginners, and click upon it.

This is a long article covering suggested beginner books and follow-up books, how to practice and improve, what the various branches of magic are, etc.

I hope you find it helpful.

Spider (Jon) Smile
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
Absolutely!!
Jonatan Bank
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
I know more people that got started with one of the first three volumes of Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Tricks than any other single source.